If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Red House
Date Listed: 2 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 116454
OS Grid Reference: TL8578018515
OS Grid Coordinates: 585780, 218515
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8343, 0.6950
Explore more of the area around Kelvedon, Essex at Explore Britain.
KELVEDON CHURCH STREET
TL 8418-8518 (north-east side)
9/141 Red Rouse
House. C13 and C16, altered in C17, C18 and early C19. Timber framed, mainly
faced with red brick in Flemish bond, some rat-trap bond, with dressings of
gault brick and plaster, partly plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles.
Complex plan forming an irregular half-H, comprising: (1) hall range, originally
aisled, facing SW; the front aisle is missing, the rear aisle is present in
residual form, incorporated in rear extensions; C16/17 axial stack to left of
centre, and C18 stack in front left corner, (2) C16 wing at left end of hall
range, set back from front and extending to rear, with internal stack at rear
right, (3) early C19 ballroom extension to rear of it, with external stack at
right, (4) C16 rear wing at right end of hall range, with internal stack at the
junction, (5) C16/17 service wing beyond, with internal stack, (6) minor C18-C20
single-storey extensions on both sides of it and beyond it, (7) C16/17 stair
tower in rear right angle, (8) small extension to left of stair tower,
incorporating corridor link diagonally across left rear angle, (9) single-storey
lean-to corridor to right of left wing. 2 storeys, cellar and attics.
Symmetrical facade in Flemish bond, breaking forward in the middle. 1:3:1
window range, mainly of C18 sashes of 12 lights, the middle window enlarged in
the early C19 to 10 + 15 lights, all with flat arches of gauged red brick; some
crown glass. Central 6-panel door in Ionic doorcase with 2 engaged columns,
panelled jambs and soffit, pulvinated frieze and dentilled flat canopy. 4 giant
pilasters of gaultbrick with plaster capitals. Dentilled and moulded plaster
cornice and pediment. Plain parapet. Round window in pediment, edged with
gault brick. The front of the left wing is faced with red brick in rat-trap
bond, with one C2O casement on the first floor; the left elevation has an
underbuilt jetty, with some joists of horizontal section exposed. C18 facade on
garden elevation to right, with C18 and early C19 sashes and plain parapet. The
interior is comprehensively styled in the late C17 and early C18, with early C19
alterations in the entrance-hall and elsewhere. White marble fire surrounds.
6-panel and 4-panel doors. Panelled folding shutters. Late C17 and early C18
pine panelling in most rooms, some bolection-moulded. Late C17 open-well
staircase with turned and twisted balusters, square newels, closed string and
moulded pine handrails. The original timber structure is almost wholly
concealed by panelling and plaster, except: (1) an exposed arcade-post to the
rear of the front right ground-floor room, arranged the same way up as the tree
from which it came,with a mortice for a rear aisle tie, (2) a partly exposed
arcade-post in a cupboard off the diagonal corridor link, (3) a partly exposed
wallpost to right of the stair tower. From these posts and the dimensions of
the present building it appears that the aisled hall structure is 40 feet (12.19
m) long, with a mainspan of 16 feet (4.88 m) and a rear aisle 4 feet (1.22 m)
wide. The house is set back from the road, allowing sufficient space for the
former front aisle: The upright arrangement of the first arcade post indicates
unjowled tying-joints, unlikely to be much later than mid-C13. Other parts of
the original timber frame are pobably present within the later surfaces,
meriting special care; the roof is wholly plastered internally, but may retain
early structure. The manor of Church Hall was held by the Abbot of Westminster
from before the Conquest to 1539, when it passed to the Bishop of Westminster,
and from 1550 to the Bishop of London. It was leaded from 1553, first to John
Wakering of Lincoln's Inn, associated with the Wakerings of Great Wakering,
Essex, and then to the St. John family (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities
of the County of Essex, 1768, II, 150). The size of the house and its position
130 metres from the parish church leave little doubt that this was the manor
house of Church Hall built for the Abbot of Westminster before the later C13.
RCHM 5 (there wrongly described as Lawn Cottage, based on a misreading of the
25" O.S map. Formerly named Red Mansion).
Listing NGR: TL8578018515
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.