If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: 4-8, High Street
Date Listed: 2 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 116507
OS Grid Reference: TL8595518442
OS Grid Coordinates: 585955, 218442
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8336, 0.6975
Explore more of the area around Kelvedon, Essex at Explore Britain.
KELVEDON HIGH STREET
TL 8418-8518 (south-east side)
9/199 Nos. 4-8 (even)
2.5.53 (formerly listed as
Woodlyn, Dunedin and
House, now staff dwellings of residential institution. C15-C16, altered in C19
and C20. Timber framed, roughcast rendered with some exposed framing, roofed
with handmade red plain tiles. C15 3-bay crosswing aligned till-SE, remaining
from former hall house with another crosswing to NE, facing street. Hall and
left crosswing largely rebuilt c.1570, to form a short 2-bay middle range and a
2-bay left crosswing of exceptionally wide span, retaining a C16 inserted stack
in the rear of the middle range and the framing of the left wall of the left
crosswing, which is exposed externally. 2 storeys and cellar. C19 stacks in
right side of right crosswing, to rear of it, and to left of left crosswing.
Ancillary building of one bay to rear of left crosswing, one storey with attic.
Mid-C19 2-storey lean-to extension with slate roof to left of right crosswing,
with external stack to rear. C20 flat-roofed extension to rear of right
crosswing. The street elevation has a full-length jetty, that of the right
crosswing being slightly lower than the remainder. 4 splayed bays of late C19
sashes of 2-6-2 lights below jetty. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 16
lights in left crosswing, one in right crosswing, one of 4 + 8 lights and one
small light in middle range. 2 half-glazed doors (nos. 4 and 6). 5 plain
brackets partly visible below jetty. C20 serpentine bargeboards on both gables.
Entrance to no. 8 in left return of rear ancillary building. Left return of
left crosswing has curved tension braces trenched outside the studding, one
brace severed for an inserted ground-floor window, now blocked, another severed
for a C19 casement on the first-floor. The rear elevation has on the first
floor one early C19 sash of 16 lights and one of 4 + 8 lights. The lean-to
extension has on the first floor one original sash of 3 + 6 lights. Crown
glass. In the right pitch of the rear ancillary building is a C20 casement in a
gabled dormer. The interior is divided into several dwellings for staff of
Grangewood, to the NE, but retains evidence of an earlier division into 3
houses. Jowled posts. The right crosswing has plain joists of horizontal
section, mostly plastered to the soffits, a cambered tiebeam between the front
and middle bays, an original studded partition between the middle and rear bays,
and a complete crownpost roof with plain crownpost and axial bracing 65mm wide.
Some original wattle and daub infill in gable walls, and possibly elsewhere.
Edge-halved and bridled scarfs in wallplates. The soffit of the front tiebeam
is covered, but there appears to have been an original unglazed window in the
middle, and a late C16 inserted window of early glazed type to each side, now
blocked. 2 C18/early C19 battened doors on first floor. Cellar of whitewashed
bricks, apparently C16. The left crosswing is structurally of one large room at
each storey, now divided, with roll-moulded axial and transverse beams (one
moulding repaired) with stops carved with stars and 6-petalled flowers, joists
plastered to the soffits. The roof is of clasped purlin construction, retaining
the gables, principals, purlins and arched wind-bracing, the rafters replaced in
softwood. In the middle range is a chamfered beam with lamb's tongue stops, and
chamfered joists of horizontal section with lamb's tongue stops; the
ground-floor room is lined with C18 pine panelling, with a moulded coving.
Original rebated hardwood floorboards. The roof is of clasped purlin
construction; the timbers are much charred, and the rafters are replaced in
softwood. This ingenious and unusual construction represents a major rebuild of
c.1570. The position of the main stack indicates that formerly there was an
open hall to NE of the surviving C15 crosswing, and a stack was inserted about
the middle of the C16 in the left bay of it, against the rear wall, leaving the
cross entry to the left unobstructed. The left crosswing would have been the
service wing originally. It was reconstructed as a wider parlour/solar wing to
absorb the former cross-entry of the hall, with a shortened middle range. The
left wall of this crosswing may have been left undisturbed because it was the
party wall of an adjacent house, now missing. The right crosswing became the
service end. A rear outhouse reported by the RCHM to have original panelling
cannot be identified. RCHM 16.
Listing NGR: TL8595518442
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.