British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Sheering

Description: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

Grade: I
Date Listed: 20 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 118247

OS Grid Reference: TL5085213616
OS Grid Coordinates: 550852, 213616
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8008, 0.1864

Location: Church Lane, Sheering, Essex CM22 7NR

Locality: Sheering
Local Authority: Epping Forest District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CM22 7NR

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Sheering, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

3/18 Parish Church of St. Mary
the Virgin
(formerly listed as Church
of S Mary the Virgin)

Parish church, late C13 to late C14, extended in C20. Flint rubble with some
Roman brick, dressings of stone and clunch, and quoins of Roman brick at NW
angle of nave only. Nave roofed with lead, chancel and vestry with handmade red
clay tiles. Consists of chancel, late C14, nave, S porch and N vestry with
chamber over, C14, W tower late C13, repaired with brickwork in C16, N aisle
(and general restoration) 1901-4. The E window is of 5 cinquefoiled lights with
vertical tracery in a 2-centred head, restored, with late C14 glass representing
8 of the orders of angels with their names beneath, and a coronation of the
virgin with 2 censing angels. In the N wall of the chancel, opening into the N
vestry, a doorway with moulded jambs and 2-centred head; the jambs have attached
shafts with moulded capitals and bases; the moulded label has carved head-stops;
the rear arch is 3-centred and hollow-chamfered. The door is present, of plain
battens with a narrow panel of carved quatrefoils, restored. Above is a
trefoiled piercing with a circular label, and a kneeling recess on the N. side.
In the S wall 2 windows of 2 and 3 cinquefoiled lights respectively under 2-
centred arches with fragments of C14 glass in square heads. Between them a
doorway with jambs of 2 chamfered orders and a restored head. The triple
chancel arch is C20. The N. vestry was originally of 2 storeys, comprising a
priests's lodging with view of the altar from the kneeling recess in the upper
storey; the floor is missing. The upper N window has one cinquefoiled light and
tracery in a square head with 3-centred rear arch restored internally and 3 iron
hooks for a shutter. The lower E window, restored, retains a wrought iron
casement and 4-centred rear arch. The N wall of the nave has a C20 arcade. The
S wall has an embattled parapet, plastered. The 2 S windows are mostly C20.
Between them the S doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred arch in a square
head; the jambs have each 2 attached shafts with moulded capitals and moulded
octagonal bases; the moulded label has C20 head stops; the spandrels enclose
tracery and shields. The door is divided into 5 vertical panels by chamfered
fillets, with 2 long strap hinges and late C14 stock-lock. E of the door is a
stoop and W of it a painted consecration cross, red with flowered ends within a
circle, C14. In the W wall is a C13 arcade of 3 bays the middle bay forming the
tower-arch, the others forming recesses; the piers are chamfered with broached
and moulded stops and moulded abaci; the S respond of the S recess has a moulded
capital of earlier date; the arches are 2-centred and chamfered; the middle arch
is of 2 orders, the inner order with 2 moulded imposts. The tower is square,
in 3 storeys, with a C16 brick embattled parapet. The ground storey has on 3
sides an arched recess similar to the tower-arch; in the W wall is a lancet
window, restored externally. The second storey has a similar W window. The
third storey (the bell chamber) has in each wall a late C14 window of 2
qustrefoiled lights and a depressed quatrefoil under a semi-circular arch,
variously restored. A stair of solid oak treads rises from the ground to the
first floor, enclosed by a partition of oak framing infilled with wide elm
boards, with an elm door hung on strap hinges. The S porch has an outer 2-
centred arch with moulded responds, each with 3 attached shafts with restored
capitals and bases. In the E wall there is a trefoiled window under a square
head, partly restored. The nave roof is C14, of gambrel form supported on king
posts and queen posts with upper knees on moulded tiebeams. The chancel roof is
C16, of side purlin form with wind bracing of flattened 4-centred curvature
(Hewett 1982, p.127). In the chancel there is a floor slab to Margaret, wife of
Richard Sayer with shield of arms, 1705, and in the nave a brass to Robert
Hurste, 1583, and Anne his wife, 1573, inscription only. There are 4 bells, the
first and third by Miles Graye, 1619, the second probably by William Wightman,
1682, the fourth probably Richard Keene, 1702. Over the S door is hung the
royal coat of arms dated 1785.

Listing NGR: TL5085213616

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.