British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints, Lambourne

Description: Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 20 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 118663

OS Grid Reference: TQ4785996093
OS Grid Coordinates: 547859, 196093
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6442, 0.1356

Location: Church Lane, Abridge RM4 1AH

Locality: Lambourne
Local Authority: Epping Forest District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: RM4 1AH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Lambourne, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

7/19a Parish church of St. Mary
20.2.67 and All Saints

GV 11*

Parish church, nave C12, chancel C13, both elaborately re-modelled with plaster
in early C18. Bell turret C15, and spire. organ chamber C19. Flint rubble
cement rendered externally with dressings of limestone, roof of handmade red
clay tiles. Bell turret timber framed and weatherboarded, spire clad with lead.
The chancel is superficially C18 except a small lancet window in the S wall,
blocked internally, cement rendered externally. The E window has a 4-centred
arch, without tracery, all plastered. There are 2 similar smaller windows in
the S wall and a lean-to organ chamber in the N wall. 2 tiebeams span the
chancel, elaborately plastered, with Greek key design on the soffits. A moulded
cornice of plaster probably conceals the original wallplates. The roof is a
barrel vault with cabled groins, all plaster. The chancel arch is semi-
elliptical, approx. 1.5 metres thick, indicating the junction between the C12
nave and C13 chancel. Externally it is of rusticated stone on the N, cement
rendered on the S. Internally it is elaborately plastered, with 4 scrolled
brackets and quatrefoils, diamonds and flowers on the soffit. The nave has 2
similar windows each side, each of one 2-centred light with 4-centred rear-arch
and wide splay, all plastered, and C18 wrought iron grills. The N wall has a
re-set C12 doorway, blocked. The jambs are of 2 orders, the inner square, the
outer formerly with free shafts of which only the scalloped capitals remain. The
outer order of the arch has chevron ornament; the inner order forms a tympanum
with a modern timber lintel with a patchwork of stones above, some of which are
set diagonally and enriched with axe-work. ii of the doorway is an original
round-headed window, blocked internally. The S wall has a re-set C12 doorway
with original plain voussoirs forming the tympanum arch. W of the doorway is an
original window similar to that in the N wall. In the W wall is a doorway dated
1726, with shallow hood on scrolled brackets and a window of the same date.
of the same date. The roof of the nave is plastered in 5 cants, probably
concealing a medieval timber frame. The nave is spanned by one tiebeam,
plastered with a Greek key design as in the chancel, supporting a crownpost
with 4 braces, all heavily plastered, diamonds on the shaft, acanthus on the
braces. There is a plaster cornice similar to that in the chancel. The bell
turret stands in the W end of the nave on 4 chamfered posts with 2 tiebeams
and one arched brace. Also at the W end is a panelled gallery on 4 carved
standards with gilt inscription on black paint to William Walker, citizen and
ironmonger of London, 1704, and recording other benefactions, and staircase with
turned balusters. On the S wall 2 areas of plaster have been removed to expose
wall paintings of c.1400, one of St. Christopher richly coloured. In the 2 W
windows of the chancel there are 5 small rectangular panels of Swiss glass
illustrating biblical scenes, with German inscriptions, shields of arms and
dates 1630-37. The pulpit is of 4 sides of an octagon, each side with 2 masoned
arches flanked by enriched pilasters and surrounded by an enriched frieze and
dentilled cornice, early C17, on a panelled base of c.1700. Stalls with
panelled backs, upper panels with carved and pierced foliage, c.1700. In the
chancel a brass of Robert Barfoot, 1546, and Kathryn his wife, with figures of
man in fur-lined gown and woman in pedimental head-dress, 9 sons and 10
daughters, shield of arms of the Mercers Company and a merchant's mark. In the
chancel a wall monument to Thomas Wynnyff, Dean of St. Paul's and Bishop of
Lincoln, 1654, and floor slabs to John Wynnyff, 1630, and Robert Bromfield,
1647, and others. There are numerous wall monuments to members of the Lockwood
family, C18 and C19. There are 3 bells by John Clifton, 1640, James Bartlet,
1684, and another. 'A church of quite exceptional charm and historical range'
(Pevsner, Essex, 256). See D.R. Curnocke: A Wall Painting In Lambourne Church,
Essex Naturalist, 29 (1952), 32 and plate 5, and E.C. Rouse: A Wall Painting
discovered in Lambourne Church, Essex Archaeology, 25 (1949-60), 101-2.

Listing NGR: TQ4785996093

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.