If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 30 December 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 118889
OS Grid Reference: TL8509415439
OS Grid Coordinates: 585094, 215439
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8069, 0.6834
Explore more of the area around Great Braxted, Essex at Explore Britain.
TL 81 NE GREAT BRAXTED BRAXTED PARK ROAD
2/45 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 Nave and west end of Chancel. C13 restored West Tower and
extension to Chancel. C15 south porch. C19 North Chapel, Vestry, rebuilt
Chancel arch, Belfry, Spire and restorations. Of flint rubble, clunch tufa,
septaria and Roman tile. Quoins and dressings of clunch and Roman brick. C19
crenellated chapel, and vestry of red brick with stone dressings. Red plain
tiled roofs. Weatherboarded belfry with shingle spire. Chancel. East wall 3
restored lancet windows. North and south walls show the junction between C12
and C13 work suggesting a former apse. C12 north wall with regular courses of
Tufa and Roman tiles. There are 2 courses of herringbone tiling. 3 windows to
north wall, the 2 eastern restored lancets, the western C12 round headed. South
wall 3 eastern windows restored lancets, the western in 2 parts, the upper
lancet, the lower a square headed 'low-side' window. Red brick quoins. Brick
plinth. Nave. South wall has 3 restored windows and 2 cusped roundels above
the porch. Eastern window 2 cusped lights with 3 lights over, second window
of 3 lights with reticulated tracery over, 2 centred head and label. West
window, 2 cusped lights, 2 centred head with label. Beneath the eastern window
are 2 slab monuments, the eastern with achievement to Sir William Ayloff, the
other with 2 upper achievements and no inscriptions. North wall has a single
light window with a 2 centred arch and moulded label and a C12, widened C18,
window above the north vestry. C14 south doorway has jambs and a 2 centred
moulded arch. The west tower rises to the height of the nave and is surmounted
by a weatherboarded bell tower with 2 light sounding louvres and shingle spire.
A tiled and weatherboarded structure attaches the spire base to the west face.
C13 lancet windows to north and south wall, Roman brick and clunch quoins. C19
buttressed west face. The full height buttresses stone dressed with ornamental
flint panels are surmounted by cusped 2 light sounding louvre in a gabled head.
Band and flush work panels below louvre and 2 vertical slits under. West window
of 3 lights with tracery over in pointed head. Above this window is a chamfered
arch, possibly C13. C19 north chapel of red brick, crenellated with moulded
band under, this rising to point over north window of 3 cusped lights with
tracery over and moulded label. To east of this chapel is the small red brick
and tiled chapel with cusped single light window to the west. South porch. C15
outer arch, 2 centred of 2 moulded orders, the inner resting on shafts with
moulded capitals and bases, moulded label over. Side walls each have a C15 2
light window in square head with label over. The roof has moulded and
crenellated tie beams with braces forming 4 centred arches. Moulded and
crenellated wall plates. Moulded wall posts on carved stone corbels, 2 with
angels holding shields, one grotesque head and one head and foliage. Crown
posts with moulded capitals and bases. Benches to side walls. Black and white
tiled floor. Interior. Chancel. Roof plastered of 7 cants. Moulded wall
plates to west. C17 panelled dado to walls from elsewhere. Large locker to north
wall with rebated jambs and 2 centred head. Cusped heads to sedile and piscina,
the latter with round drain and shelf in east jamb. Crenellated beam over small
niche in north wall. Slabs to Richard Milward D.D. 1680 Canon of Windsor.
Anthony Carew 1705. C19 2 centred chancel arch with moulded capitals and bases
to jambs. Nave C15/C16 roof of 7 cants with moulded principal rafters and
centre purlin. Moulded and crenellated wall plates and tie beams. Traceried
spandrels to braces and carved half angels above stone corbel heads. 3 octagonal
crown posts. Vertically boarded dado to pew walls. C19 stone octagonal font, 2
centred arches and buttresses to stem. Shields and inscription to side panels.
Painted board relating to the will of John Freze 1663. 1960 Royal Hatchment.
West Tower. C13 2 centred chamfered arch. Stone wall slab under west window to
Robert Aylett LL.D., 1654-1656, Emblems of mortality and 2 shields of arms to
right and left. C19 north chapel - known as the Du Cane Chapel. C19 moulded
segmental pointed chapel arch. Moulded wall plates each with 6 curved angels.
North window stained glass 1844 by Warrington. Monuments to the Du Cane family.
Some to east and west walls with traceried canopies over. Central monument to
west wall of grey marble with white marble urn to Peter DuCane aged 90 years B.
1803, Mary his wife and Richard his son. RCHM I.
Listing NGR: TL8509415439
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.