If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 30 December 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 118955
OS Grid Reference: TL8619811021
OS Grid Coordinates: 586198, 211021
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7669, 0.6970
Explore more of the area around Great Totham, Essex at Explore Britain.
TL 81 SE GREAT TOTHAM CHURCH ROAD
4/118 Church of St. Peter
Parish Church. Chancel and nave C13 or C14. C19 north aisle, vestry and organ
chamber, south vestry and porch, C19 restorations and rebuilt bell-turret.
Walls of flint rubble, puddingstone, freestone and oolite. Red plain tiled
roofs with terracotta finials. Shingle clad spire. Chancel east wall with red
brick angle buttresses. 3 light window with circular tracery over under a 2
centre arched head. South and east walls have lancet eastern windows of unknown
date. East wall of north vestry, C19 2 pierced lancets with pointed quatrefoil
over. Band to gable with niche and statue over. Flint buttress to north angle,
north wall of vestry and north aisle. To east a cusped trefoil single light
window in a 2 centre arched head. 2 centre arched doorway with vertically
boarded door. Label follows through to door from east buttress. There is a
buttress to west of this vestry/organ chamber door and one to wall west angle.
Three 2 light windows to north aisle and one to west wall similar to east wall.
Nave C14 west window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a square
head. Herringbone tile panel over. Bell turret with lower vertical slit and 2
light upper louvre. Much puddingstone to this wall. Nave south wall C19 gabled
porch. Flint and timber framed with brick nogging. Single lights to returns.
Carved spandrels to ogee archway. Buttresses to Eight and left of porch. To
the east of the porch is a C14 window of 2 ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a 2
centred head. Easternmost C16 restored window of 3 lights
with vertical tracery and crenellated transoms under a 3 centred head. South
door vertically boarded under a moulded 2 centred arch. C19 south chapel
sometimes known as De Crespigny Chapel, with angle buttress, 2 light window in a
2 centre arch, 2 centre arched doorway with circular window to gable. Interior.
Chancel C15 boarded 7 cant roof with bosses, all with C20 painting. C15 moulded
wall plate. Circa 1881 stained glass to east window. Circa 1949 carved and
panelled reredos. Victorian patterned tile floor. C14 restored piscina with 2
centred head and octofoil drain. Brass of Elizabeth (Pilborough) wife of
Richard Coke 1606 and their daughter Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Wilde, 2 women in
ruffs and farthingales, 3 shields of arms, a rubbing on north wall as brass not
now visible. C19 doorway with trefoil head under a 2 centred arch leads into
the De Crespigny south chapel, with C19/C20 wall monuments to this family. To
north wall a 2 centred arch with moulded bases and capitals to shafts, leads
into the organ chamber. Sedilia, plain stone slab below south east window.
There is no chancel arch but a tie beam with moulded brackets and wall plates.
To the west of this tie beam embedded in Nave south wall is a C15 fragment of
the former moulded rood beam and part of the rail. Piscina, C14 with 2 centred
head and square drain. C19/C20 semi-circular carved wooden pulpit on stone
base. 7 cant roof with moulded tie beams and wall plates. North east corner of
roof with 3 plastered and painted infill panels, said to be remains of 3 winged
figures. C16 stained glass quarries with flowers and foliage to south windows.
C19 north arcade of 3 bays, chamfered and moulded 2 centred arches, moulded
bases and capitals to shafts. Restored timber bell turret with moulded tie
beams, arched braces and wall plates. The bell turret has to each face original
traceried 2 cinquefoiled lights. Painted organ beautified 1893. Font C19/C20
circular bowl, with inscribed rim, on 4 shafts with moulded capitals and bases,
square centre columns. Spiral wrought iron cover. Painting on south wall "The
Adoration of the Magi". Rev. Eyre came from Coggeshall, Essex to this church
late C19 and the Honeywood family of Marks Hall, Coggeshall donated £2,500
towards the restoration of the Church. RCHM I.
Listing NGR: TL8619811021
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.