British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

St Osyth's Priory, Gatehouse and East and West Flanking Ranges, St Osyth

Description: St Osyth's Priory, Gatehouse and East and West Flanking Ranges

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 February 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 120020

OS Grid Reference: TM1212415634
OS Grid Coordinates: 612124, 215634
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7991, 1.0750

Location: The Bury, St Osyth, Essex CO16 8NY

Locality: St Osyth
Local Authority: Tendring District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CO16 8NY

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around St Osyth, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TM 1215
15/186 St. Osyth's Priory,
Gatehouse and east and
21.2.50 west flanking ranges west flanking ranges
(formerly listed as part of
GV buildings comprised in St Osyth's
Priory) I
Gatehouse and east and west flanking ranges, now a dwelling. Late C15
gatehouse, late C15 west range. East range with late C15 facade incorporates
early medieval features including an earlier gatehouse. Knapped flint, flint
and septaria, stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs to east and west ranges.
South face 2 red brick chimney stacks to west range, one with 2 attached
octagonal shafts with spiked and moulded capping, the other rectangular.
Forward stack to east range of stone dressed flint, spiral moulded red brick
shaft. Huge offset external red brick stack to east return wall with attached
diagonal shafts. 2 moulded chimney shafts to east of Gatehouse. 2 and 3
storeys. Windows at 3 levels to gatehouse angled east and west projections.
Crenellated gatehouse. South face. 2 angles to west projection, 3 angles to
east projection. Diagonal diapering to crenellations, band under and band above
second level windows. Double moulded plinth. Elaborate flint flushwork in
trefoiled, cusped and crocketed panels. 1:2:1 windows to upper storey, 1:0:1 to
lower levels, all of 2 cinquefoiled lights in square heads with moulded labels,
those to lower level smaller. Small single light spy window in plinth to
western projection. Main central archway has stop moulded jambs, moulded 4
centre arch in a square head, label and carved stops. Left spandrel with carved
dragon, right with St. Michael. Left and right footway arches, smaller but
similar to main arch, spandrels carved with foliage and a rose. Above these
arches are a pair of ogee cusped and crocketed niches, bracket soffits with
carved angels holding scrolls, a similar taller niche above main archway with
the angel holding a shield. North face, semi-octagonal stair turrets rise above
the crenellations to left and right of main archway each with a 4 centre arched
doorway and quatrefoil lights. Forward buttressed projections to east and west.
Window ranges similar to south face, flint flushwork to crenellations and above
main archway. Main arch similar to south face, the spandrels traceried with
blank shields. Hatchment of an Earl of Rochford over. The gate hall has a
ribbed lierne vault of 2 bays springing from grouped triple shafts with moulded
capitals and bases. Richly carved bosses to intersections of heads, angels,
foliage, crowned and veiled head of St. Osyth, Annuncation etc. The porters
room to west of gate hall has a doorway with moulded jambs and 2 centred arch,
similar doorway to east wall. Panel on west wall with a carved hand holding an
ornate lamp. C18 wrought iron gates to south archway. North west and north
east buttresses with garderobes. East range, south face. Flint, stone coping
to crenellations. 2 storeys. Of 3 bays with buttresses between, the eastern
bay is a C13 gatehouse faced to match the rest of the range. 2:2:1 window
range, similar to those in the gatehouse. North face. Not crenellated, first
floor window range similar to those in gatehouse. 2 similar windows to ground
floor centre and a larger window to left, with a large stone segmental arch
visible in the wall above, to right of this window a moulded stone doorway with
keystone. To right a C20 door with part of a 2 light window over, similar to
other windows. West range, south face, crenellated. 2 storeys. 5 window range
of vertically sliding sashes with glazed margins, panelled door with canopy
over. North face, not crenellated, 4 window range of moulded brick, 2 light
windows with labels over, stone plinth. Off centre doorway of moulded stone
with segmental pointed head. Right doorway chamfered stone, square head with
label over. Internal features include, painted murals of Tudor coat of arms, 3
crowns, vines and grapes and C14 figures. Brick and plastered medieval
fireplaces, doorways and niches. Heavy timber studs, moulded cornices.
Chamfered bridging joists and ceiling beams. In the medieval bakehouse is a
round headed archway, and a gateway circa 1380. The Priory (later Abbey) was
founded prior to circa 1127 for Austin Canons, by Richard de Belmeis, Bishop of
London. About 1527 extensive additions were made by Abbot Vintoner. The Abbey
was suppressed in 1539 and came into the possession of Lord Darcy,1553,who
transformed it into a house,then to Elizabeth, daughter of the 3rd Lord Darcy who
was created Lady Rivers after the death of her husband. It later passed, by
marriage to the Earls of Rochford, thence to the Nassau family and was later
sold several times. The present owners Mr. Somerset and Lady Juliet de Chair
converted the gatehouse into a private residence. Scheduled Ancient Monument

Listing NGR: TM1212415634

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.