If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: St Osyth's Priory Convalescent Home
Date Listed: 21 February 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 120031
OS Grid Reference: TM1211415747
OS Grid Coordinates: 612114, 215747
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8001, 1.0750
Explore more of the area around St Osyth, Essex at Explore Britain.
ST. OSYTH THE BURY
15/197 St. Osyth's Priory.
21.2.50 (formerly listed as
Priory, including the'
Convalescent home incorporating circa 1527 Abbot Vintoners buildings of red
brick with black diapering west wing known as The Bishop's Lodging, and a small
south wing. Mid C16 for Lord Darcy, wing of red brick with ashlar and septaria
chequer work and the eastern tower, known as the Clock Tower again in chequer
work with a C18 wooden lantern. Mid C18 for Lord Rochford, west and south
wings, the latter partly covering the western range of the monastic buildings.
Red brick. Circa 1866 east wing, at this time most of the Bishop's Lodging was
rebuilt excepting the south front although the great oriel and doorway were
mainly restored. Red brick. Later C19/C20 alterations to all ranges. Red
plain tiled roofs. Roughly T-plan. The north western range C18 range of red
brick with parapet and 2 bands following through off centre right bow. 2
storeys. First floor 2:3:3 window range, ground floor 2:3:1 of mainly small
paned vertically sliding sashes with panelled internal shutters. Excepting to
right bays which on first floor the central is Gothic and ground floor a stone
crenellated bay. Central French window to bow. West face with angled bay of 3
lights, 1:3:0 window range. North face with square 2 storey porch. 2:1:2
window range, central stone segmental headed doorway with carved spandrels and
label, the window over round headed with Gothic glazing bars. 5 vari-shafted red
brick chimney stacks, ornately moulded. Adjoining this range to the east is the
taller Bishop's Lodging, diapered red brick, roof hipped to north and south. 2
storeys. Parapet, moulded band under, first floor band. Huge central stone
oriel of 16 lights with moulded cornice, soffit and bands. Left and right stone
2 light windows, square heads and labels, segmental pointed reveal arches and
labels over. A similar window to ground floor left without reveal arch. Below
the oriel a moulded segmental pointed doorway with carved spandrels, double
panelled doors. Left and right smaller, similar side doorways with 2 light
windows under square heads with labels over. Later gabled porch with trellised
panelled door to right. Remains of archway over. 2 chimney stacks break
through the parapet and band, each with 2 ornately moulded and capped shafts,
similar shaft to east wall. North face parapet and bands follow through.
Angled 2 storey stone bay. Crenellated, each floor with 14 light windows, one
window range to returns. Angle buttresses. East of this face is the red brick
C19 2 storey range with stone parapet, angle pilasters, 4:3:1 bays with
vari-light stone windows, those to right with labels over, central with transoms
to ground floor and right forward bay with 2 and 3 lights to ground and first
floor respectively. East return, 3 similar 3 light windows. Vertically sliding
sashes to south face and kitchen doors with lights. South wing now of two 2
storey ranges, that to south taller. 2 gables to west face of each range. The
northern range, west face of red brick with some black headers. Stone chimney
stack with fluted octagonal shafts. 5 vari-light window range to first floor,
the 2nd blocked. Labels over. 3 range to ground floor with reveal arches over.
2 trellis panelled doors, fanlights over, reveal arches. Southern range west
face. Right and left chimney stacks with 2 octagonal shafts. Angle pilasters,
stone turrets with bulbous finials. Stone coping, stone band and plinth. First
floor, 3 stone vari-light windows under square heads with labels. Similar 3
light windows to ground floor and gables. Left recessed stone round headed
doorway under a square head with carved spandrels. Right recessed moulded brick
segmental pointed doorway. The west face of this wing is complex with features
of earlier builds showing through. Of 4 apparent ranges a 2 window range south
of the Clock tower, and 2:1 ranges north of the Tower, all of 2 storeys. The
range immediately north of the Tower with a chamfered archway cut through by the
Tower. The tall octagonal tower with one and 2 light windows, a clock to the
south face and octagonal timber bell turret with arches to each face, domed roof
and oval finial. To the north east is a free standing rubble and stone pillar,
much worn, possibly of circa 1200. The whole of the south wing is believed to
incorporate the original cellarer's range, part of the frater wall and the first
phase of Darcy building. Scheduled Ancient Monument
Listing NGR: TM1211415747
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.