British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Anne and St Lawrence, Elmstead

Description: Church of St Anne and St Lawrence

Grade: I
Date Listed: 17 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 120055

OS Grid Reference: TM0650626003
OS Grid Coordinates: 606506, 226003
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8943, 0.9999

Location: Elmstead, Essex CO7 7AR

Locality: Elmstead
Local Authority: Tendring District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CO7 7AR

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Elmstead, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


3/1 Church of St. Anne and
St. Lawrence

Parish church. C12 Nave. Circa 1310 Chancel and South Tower. Circa 1330-1340
South Chapel, later repairs and restorations. Plastered mixed rubble with some
puddingstone, limestone dressings. Red plain tile and leaded roofs. Chancel,
east wall buttressed at angles, band below window. East window C19/C20 set in
an older chamfered 2 centred arch with moulded label and kneeling angel stops,
the modern window of 3 ogee lights with tracery over, 2 centred arch and stopped
label. Cross to gable apex. North wall, 2 early C14, 2 light windows with Y
tracery, labels and head stops, band at cill level extending from angles to
cills. Central buttress. South wall, 2 windows similar to those in north wall
with labels and head stops. Central buttress, band below cills. Western small
trefoiled low light windows. Between the windows is a sunk chamfered 2 centre
arched doorway, label with head stops, that to west much eroded. The Nave north
wall has 3 windows, that to east C14, 2 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery under
a segmental pointed head, moulded label over. Circa 1400 central window of-3
cinquefoil lights and vertical tracery under a 2 centred head with moulded
label. Early C16 west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights in a 4 centred head,
moulded label. Between the central and western window is the C12 round headed
doorway with Roman brick arch and stone surround. A C20 copy door of counter-
rebated boards and ornate iron strapwork replaces the original C12 north door
which is now displayed in the Chancel. Few examples of this type of door are
known in Essex, 3 are in Castle Hedingham church. West wall, small lean-to
extension to north, west window similar to those in north wall of Chancel. C18
3 light square leaded hipped dormer to south. C14 south doorway with double
chamfered jambs and 2 centred arch. Double doors, each of 2 nailed boards with
filleted joints and 5 rear battens, original ironmongery. South Chapel,
buttress to south eastern angle. East window of 3 chamfered lights, concrete
lintel. The south wall has two 2 light windows similar to the Nave north
eastern window, stops to labels. Below each window is a small low set trefoiled
ogee light. South tower. One and a half stages high with pyramidal roof,
buttresses to south angles. The lower stage forms the south porch, the 2 centre
arched south doorway of 2 moulded orders, moulded capitals to attached jamb
shafts. Small square headed openings to south and west first floor walls.
Sundials to left of doorway. The interior with stone and brick floor and seat
to eastern wall. To the east, west and north walls are blocked arches with
chamfered jambs and 2 centred heads. C18 timber stairs with moulded newel to
the west lead up to the Nave gallery. Horizontal boarding and a 2 panelled door
with moulded surround below the stairs. Interior. Chancel. Roof plastered of
3 cants supported by 3 tie beams. Raised sanctuary floor with 2 floor slabs,
John Brooke and his widow Maria circa 1847. Turned balusters to rails on 3
sides of altar. 2 painted creed and commandment boards one to either side of
the east window. Painted memorial boards below these relating to William
Martin, d. 1664 (north side), and Thomas Martin his son, d. 1672 (south side).
C19 coloured glass to windows. In line C14 Piscina and Sedilia of 4 bays, each
with moulded jambs and cinquefoiled head, moulded labels and headstops, these
include a king and a bishop, the jambs of the third bay with stag and male head
stops, trefoiled drain to Piscina. Moulded band to south and north walls the
latter raised to west, possibly over a blocked doorway. Square niche to north
wall and the chamfered edge of a former wall or doorway. Original C12 Nave north
door displayed against north wall. Chest with 3 iron straps to each angle.
Brass in centre of floor, 2 hands issuing from clouds and holding a heart
inscribed "Credo" above a scroll "Videre Bona Domini", circa 1475. C14 stained
glass to southern, low windows. C14 Chancel arch, 2 centred of 2 moulded
orders. The chamfered responds have attached and filleted shafts but the
capitals are broken and the bases restored or built out. South of the arch is a
squint with a sexfoiled circular chamfered opening. Brick floors throughout the
Church. Nave. Plastered barrel vaulted roof. Moulded wall plates. Round
headed arch to north doorway, segmental pointed arch to south doorway. Panelled
box pews said to be circa 1713, with incorporated C17 panelling and side seat in
south chapel. Octagonal 2 decker pulpit with sounding board, this with inlaid
sun and star and supported by a rough corbel to north wall. Painted boards of
Ecclesiastes to upper south (5) and north (3) walls. Painted consecration cross
to north wall. Royal Arms over south door GR 1749. A rare carved oak recumbent
effigy of a knight in armour, believed to be Sir Roger De Tany 1301, in mail
with a pointed bascinet, short surcoat, knee and elbow cops and shield. His
head rests on a lion and his feet against a ?female figure. Formerly on the
cill of the chapel east window. Floor slab to William Bendische, 1627. The
western gallery/organ loft is supported by 2 slender columns. The front is
panelled. A moulded 2 centre arched doorway leads from the south tower
stairway. C20 circular font with moulded and ringed stem. Circa 1800 wrought
iron hat rack attached to a south pew in the Nave, cruciform with 3 receding
pairs of arms all with and supported by elaborate scrolls. C14 south arcade of
2 bays with 2 centred arches of 2 moulded orders. Quatrefoiled column with
moulded capital and base, the responds have attached half columns. South
chapel. Lean-to roof partly restored but with some moulded common and principal
rafters. Moulded wall plates. C14 stained glass to 2 low windows. Stained
glass fragments to east window one relating "16 IC 17", also C19 stained glass.
Piscina, south wall, C14,shafted jambs, moulded trefoiled head, moulded label,
sexfoiled drain, moulded cill, plain shelf. South wall, blocked arcade of 2
bays, moulded capitals and bases, 4 centre arched heads, moulded labels with
head stops. RCHM 1. C.A. Hewett Church Carpentry, June Osborne Stained Glass
in England, published by Frederick Muller Ltd.

Listing NGR: TM0650626003

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.