If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Parish Church of St Michael, Ramsey and Parkeston

Description: Parish Church of St Michael

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 January 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 120292

OS Grid Reference: TM2181430438
OS Grid Coordinates: 621814, 230438
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9282, 1.2248

Location: Ramsey Road, Ramsey, Essex CO12 5EU

Locality: Ramsey and Parkeston
Local Authority: Tendring District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CO12 5EU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Ramsey and Parkeston, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

RAMSEY AND PARKESTON CHURCH HILL
TM 23 SW (north side)

2/61 Parish Church of St.
Michael

Parish church. Mainly C12-16, restored in C19. Chancel and Nave of plastered
rubble, W tower of exposed septaria, flint and pebble rubble, repaired with red
brick, S porch of red brick in Flemish bond; dressings mainly of limestone,
roofs of handmade red clay tiles. Nave early C12, Chancel C13, the upper part
C15, W tower early C15, repaired in late C16, C17 and C18, S porch 1816. The
Chancel has a late C16 E window of 3 square-headed and double-transomed lights,
plastered with a timber lintel and C13 splays. In the N wall is a late C16
window of 2 square-headed and transomed lights with a timber lintel and C13
splays, plastered; further W is a smaller C16 square-headed window, blocked. E
of the windows is a recess with moulded cinquefoiled head, shafted jambs with
moulded capitals and bases, C14, possibly an Easter sepulchre. In the S wall is
a late C16 window similar to that opposite, but with the sill carried down to
form a seat. W of it is a C15 doorway, partly restored, with double-ogee
moulded jambs, 5-centred arch and timber lintel. Immediately W of it is part of
the 2-centred head of a blocked archway, probably C13. W of it is a blocked C16
window similar to that opposite. The late C14 chancel-arch, partly restored, is
2-centred, of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous, the inner resting on
attached semi-octagonal shafts; the moulded capitals are carved with
half-angels, the bases are moulded, and below the N base is a mutilated plinth.
The roof is of 4 bays, ceiled to the collars, with butt-purlins; the collars are
moulded and carved with egg-and-dart ornament and running foliage, and in
addition the middle collar is carved with the date 1597 and the name Goldingham;
the principal rafters and purlins are ovolo-moulded; at the junction of the
principals and collars are double consoles with carved spandrels. The
wallplates are carved with running ornament. The Nave has in the N wall 4
windows; the easternmost is early C14, of 2 lights with Y-tracery in a 2-centred
head, with chamfered rear-arch. The second window is late C14, of 2 trefoiled
lights with tracery in a square head, with moulded label and chamfered segmental
rear-arch; the westernmost window is a C13 lancet with chamfered 2-centred rear-
arch. Between the second and third windows is the early C12 N doorway, partly
restored, with semi-circular arch of one plain order; the imposts have diaper
ornament and a chamfered under-edge with zigazg carving. At the E end of this
wall is a late C15 rood-loft stair; the lower doorway has double-chamfered jambs
and 4-centred arch, rebated for a door, with one original hinge and an iron
bolt-socket; the upper doorway has a square head. The stair is complete, the
lower steps of stone on brick, the remainder of brick, forming an external
projection, with one quatrefoil light. The sawn-off stub of moulded rood-beam
is embedded in the N wall. In the S wall are 4 windows; the easternmost is late
C16, partly restored, of 2 square-headed lights with timber lintel; the second
is mid-C14, partly restored, of two 2-centred lights with uncusped saltire
tracery in a segmental head, with a moulded label and grotesque headstops (one
decayed); the third window is early C14, partly restored, of 2 lights with
Y-tracery in a 2-centred head, with moulded label and chamfered rear-arch; the
westernmost window is similar to the third window in the N wall, but with
narrower trefoils, the sill carried down to form a bay. E of it is the early
C15 S doorway, with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 moulded orders, with a moulded
label and grotesque headstops; the inner order is carved with moons, stars,
crowned initials I and M, heads, leopards' heads and foliage; the outer order is
carved with a Coronation of the Virgin, crowns, and foliage with hanging
shields; the label is carved with shields, winged hearts and foliage. The door
is original, with a moulded surround and 3 moulded fillets, and 4 attached
shafts cut in the solid, with moulded bases and capitals formerly supporting
detached figures, only the fixing holes remaining; at the rear is a dovetailed
and nailed portcullis frame; the scutcheon plate and plain drop-handle are of
uncertain date. The roof of the Nave is in 4 bays, much restored, of crownpost
construction, with ashlar-pieces and soulaces to every rafter couple, and
octagonal crownposts with moulded caps and bases; 2 tiebeams are plain; the E
tiebeam is chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, probably re-used. The W tower is
of 3 stages, with a moulded plinth and C19/20 parapet; the upper part of the S
wall, SE stair turret and the SW buttress are of C18 brick. The C15 tower-arch
is 2-centred, of 2 orders, the outer double-ogee moulded and continuous, the
inner chamfered and resting on attached round shafts with moulded capitals and
bases. The early C16 W window, much restored, is of 3 ogee lights with plain
vertical tracery in a 4-centred head with moulded label and chamfered rear-arch,
the supporting arch of alternate limestone and flint voussoirs. The early C16 W
doorway of clunch, partly restored, has moulded jambs, decayed 2-centred arch in
a square head with traceried spandrels, a moulded label and chamfered
segmental-pointed rear-arch; the supporting arch is of alternate flint and red
brick voussoirs. The second stage has in the N, S and W walls a window of one
trefoiled light in a square head with a moulded label. The bell-chamber has in
the E, N and W walls a C15 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights with cusped tracery
in a 4-centred head, with a moulded label; the S window is C18. The doorway to
the bell-turret has double-ogee moulded jambs and 2-centred head; above it, the
sawn-off stubs of 2 moulded timbers are embedded in the S wall; the stair is lit
by 2 quatrefoils, and 2 plain lights in the brick upper part. The bell floor is
original, of plain joists of horizontal section framed round a central bellway.
Fittings. There are 2 piscinae (1) in the Chancel, with triangular head and
round drain, of uncertain date, (2) in the S wall of the Nave, with chamfered
jambs, mutilated cinquefoiled head and repaired drain, C14. N of the
chancel-arch are 2 narrow niches with triangular heads, of uncertain date. In
the S porch is a stoup with chamfered 2-centred head and jambs with broach
stops, probably C15. The font is partly C15, partly restored, with a recut
octagonal bowl with a shield in each face and a moulded soffit, a panelled
octagonal stem, and a moulded base with carved flowers. The pulpit, c.1600, is
octagonal, the panels divided into 3 ranges with bolection moulding, enriched
arcading and carved foliage respectively, the stem, base and stair restored. In
the Chancel is a floor-slab to Sophia Catherine (?) and Catherine Burr, 1747,
mutilated; the presence of the floor-slabs to William and Penelope Whitmore,
reported by the RCHM, could not be verified. Also in the Chancel is a slab with
indent for an inscription plate. On the S wall of the Chancel is a memorial to
Daniel Burr, 1782, and his widow Elizabeth, 1785, in white marble inlaid with
grey marble, with an urn with guilloche border in full relief, moulded head with
paterae and inlaid arcading, inlaid strips at the sides, painted shield of arms
and foliate brackets; the inscription describes it as 'This unadorned Memorial'.
Also on the S wall is a white marble tablet to Lieutenant-General Daniel Burr,
1828. On the S wall of the Nave is a royal arms of 1727, and a Commonwealth
arms of 1651, painted on boards with a simple wooden frame; this was found with
traces of canvas behind the royal arms, a rare or possibly unique survival. On
the N wall of the Nave is the hatchment of Lieutenant-General Daniel Burr, 1828,
with legend "Virtus Verus Honos'. There are 5 bells, 3 by Thomas Gardiner dated
1724, 1724 and 1745 respectively; the bells by Miles Graye, 1638, and John
Darbie, 1676, reported by the RCHM, were recast in 1967. A-clock with foliot
escapement was removed to Colchester Castle Museum in 1964. RCHM 1.


Listing NGR: TM2181430438

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.