British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Roydon Hall Farmhouse, Ramsey and Parkeston

Description: Roydon Hall Farmhouse

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 29 April 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 120293

OS Grid Reference: TM1896930206
OS Grid Coordinates: 618969, 230206
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9273, 1.1834

Location: Ramsey, Essex CO12 5LZ

Locality: Ramsey and Parkeston
Local Authority: Tendring District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CO12 5LZ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Ramsey and Parkeston, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TM 13 SE (north side)

1/62 Roydon Hall
Farmhouse, formerly
29.4.52 listed as Roydon

- II*

House. Late C16, altered in C18, C19 and C20. Mainly timber framed and
plastered, with original end walls of red brick in English bond, and addition in
gault brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles and slate.
Main range of 7 bays facing S, with 2-bay crosswing at right end, extended
forwards probably in the C18, with an internal end stack. 3 external stacks to
rear of main range, partly enclosed by early C19 extension in gault brick.
Later C19 single-storey lean-to extension with slate roof to rear of right end,
and C20 2-storey flat-roofed extension to left of it. 2 storeys, and cellar
below right wing. Ground floor, 5 early C19 sashes of 6 + 6 lights. First
floor, 5 early C19 sashes of 6 lights and one of 4 lights. C20 door at front of
gabled porch. The main range has a full-length jetty, plastered and ashlared
above and below. The right wing has a recessed plaster roundel in the otherwise
blank gable end. The left return of the main range is of red brick with
octagonal corner turrets, each finished with an octagonal pinnacle of
elaborately moulded brick, and with a similar pinnacle on the apex of the gable;
all the pinnacles are truncated. On each floor is a large blocked window with
chamfered jambs and straight head, and moulded pediment with trades of original
plaster; in the gable is a blocked round window, ovolo-moulded. The right
return of the original part of the crosswing has 2 similar octagonal turrets,
repaired and truncated below eaves level, and a similar brick wall, originally
blank, with C20 inserted windows and pediments copied from the left return, and
a brick buttress in the middle. The left return of the right wing has a short
continuous jetty and one early C19 sash of 8 lights. All the chimney shafts are
square and of gault brick; the RCHM described and photographed original
octagonal shafts on the NW stack, since replaced with square shafts of gault
brick. Inside the porch is an early C19 archway with semi-elliptical head. The
front windows are of unusual interest, being comprised of irregularly arranged
rectangular panes of early C19 sheet glass, 610 x 286 mm on the ground floor and
730 x 311 mm on the first floor, which are rare survivals of this material. A
length of exposed timber in the rear elevation of the right crosswing suggests
that it formerly projected to the rear. In the main range the transverse and
axial beams are double-ogee moulded (some boxed in), and there is one C20
replica in line with the original rear wall; the joists are plain and of
horizontal section, originally plastered to the soffits, some now exposed. In
the original part of the right crosswing the transverse and axial beams are
plain-chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, and the exposed joists are plain and
of horizontal section. On the first floor of the main range all the straight
tiebeams, bridging joists and wallplates are double-ogee moulded, the joists
plastered to the soffits. In the original bays of the crosswing the posts are
jowled. The original large hearths have been reduced for modern grates or
blocked. In the forward extension of the right crosswing there is much re-used
timber of similar quality and ornament, and re-used ovolo-moulded joists in the
cellar; this must have come from a demolished part of the original building.
This reconstruction is of doubtful date, but the good king-post roof is of the
type much used in the C18, and the short jetty is not constructed in the normal
way, indicating that it is a later copy of the jettied main range. The rear
extension of the main range has an early C19 stair with turned square balusters.
The roof of the main range has been rebuilt in the early C19, with much re-used
oak in the front pitch, a ridge-piece, and a rear pitch of shallow angle (to
cover the rear extension) of softwood. Within the roof part of the NW turret
retains original lime plaster. A moulded brick found on site, in the possession
of the owners, is from an ovolo-moulded mullion. Sir N. Pevsner dated the house
on stylistic grounds as c.1560 (The Buildings of England: Essex, 1965, 321).
Historically this date is improbable (and perhaps too early for the
ovolo-mouldings and lamb's tongue stops), because from 1544 to 1563 the manor of
Roydon was held by Mary Roydon, a minor. She married John Lucas of Colchester;
it is likely that he built the house c.1570. In 1567 the manor comprised 600
acres of arable, 100 of meadow, 600 of pasture, 500 of wood, 100 of marsh, 200
of furze and heath, with rents in Ramsey, Wrabness and Witham, a major estate,
which was further increased by the time of his death in 1599. (P. Morant, The
History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, 1768, I, 494). The house may
have been substantially larger then than the part which survives, if only to
include service accomodation equivalent to the existing reception areas. RCHM

Listing NGR: TM1896930206

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.