British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Ardleigh

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 17 November 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 120403

OS Grid Reference: TM0539129550
OS Grid Coordinates: 605391, 229550
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9266, 0.9858

Location: The Street, Ardleigh, Essex CO7 7LD

Locality: Ardleigh
Local Authority: Tendring District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CO7 7LD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Ardleigh, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TM 02 NE (east side)

6/58 Church of St. Mary

Parish church. C14 west bay of Nave. C15 West Tower and South Porch. Circa
1881-5 Chancel, Chapels, Nave and Aisles by Butterfield. Flint, rubble,
septaria, Roman brick, puddingstone. Dressings of brick and limestone. Red
plain tiled roof. Chancel, east wall, angle buttresses, plinth follows through
north and south chapels. Band, raised under window and chapel windows. East
window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 2 centred head and label.
Stone cross to gable apex. North and south chapels, buttressed at angles, stone
parapet verge. 2 centre arched single light windows to walls. South chapel
east window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 2 centred head and label,
2 south wall windows of 2 trefoiled ogees, quatrefoils over, under segmental
heads. Moulded stone parapet. North chapel trefoiled 2 light windows under
square heads to east and north walls, north wall red brick dressed 2 centred
arch doorway, vertically boarded door. Nave, moulded cornice, clerestorey of 4
lights to north and south walls of 2 trefoiled ogees, 2 centred arches and
labels, bands at impost height. C14 western windows to north and south walls of
3 trefoiled ogee lights, tracery over, 2 centred heads, moulded labels and head
stops. North vestry, buttress at angle', plinth, window of 2 trefoiled ogees,
quatrefoil over, segmental head. Stone parapet. North and south aisles,
moulded stone parapet, 3 windows with buttresses between,. band below windows,
these of 3 trefoiled ogee lights,quatrefoils over, 4 centred heads. C15 south
porch. Crenellated with moulded plinth, both. with flint flushwork panels. Stone
panels with traceried heads to each stage of the diagonal buttresses, heads with
crenellated capitals to shafts which support seated animals, central cross on
crenellated stem. Gargoyles to east and west wall parapet bands, these walls
each have a window of 3 cinquefoil lights, crenellated tracery in segmental
pointed heads and moulded labels. Front wall of 2 stages, covered with flint
flushwork. The name Maria in black letters is at the top of the lower stage and
at the base of the upper stage is a row of stone chalices and hosts, below them
an ashlar band inscribed Orate p Animabos Johis Hute At Y Wode Et Alicie Uxoris
Ejus Johis Hute Willi Hute. Outer archway of 2 moulded orders, the outer
continuous, the inner resting on attached. shafts with moulded capitals and.
bases. Square head with double moulded labels, crowned lion stops on foliated
brackets. Spandrels with carved figures of St. George and the Dragon. Above
the arch are 3 niches with buttressed jambs and elaborate, traceried and
crocketted canopies, pedestals with half angels and clouds, figures of ?St.
George, Madonna and ?Bishop holding a church. Moulded and braced principles to
roof of 2 bays, which form 4 centred arches, moulded ridge and wall plates.
Stone side seats. Holy water stoup to east of south doorway, moulded jambs,
cinquefoiled head, bowl eroded, probably C15. Reset C15 south doorway, moulded
2 centred arch, moulded and shafted jambs, one with figures and foliage, square
head over, Adam and Eve carved figures to spandrels. C15 South door of 2 folds,
each of 3 panels with traceried heads and moulded bars, pierced scutcheon
plates. C15 rocketed and finialed niche above doorway, figure of ?St. George
and the Dragon. Monument on south wall, wooden marbled tablet with side
pilasters and broken pediment to Barbara wife of Henry Lufkin 1706 and Henry
Lufkin 1721. C15 West Tower of 3 stages. Moulded plinth with flint. flushwork
panels. Buttresses to south east, south west and north west angles, stair
turret to north east. Bands below windows. C19 brick and flint crow stepped
parapet with corner and central finials. Each face of the bell chamber has a
window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights. 2 centred heads, moulded labels. Second
stage, single cinquefoiled lights to each face, brick outer arches, clock faces
to north and south walls. Western window of 3 trefoiled ogee lights, vertical
tracery over, 2 centred head and moulded label. West doorway, moulded 2 centred
arch under a square head label with head stops. Double vertically boarded
doors. Interior. Chancel. C19 paintings throughout, some by Rev. E. Geldart
of Little Braxted. Barrel vaulted and ribbed roof of 2 bays, central arched
bracing supported by wall posts on corbels. Coloured tiled floor. Enriched
panelled arches to reredos and side panels, mosaics of the Evangelists above
side panels. Piscina, marble cill and upper shelf, panelled base, trefoiled
ogee arch, 2 centred label over. C19 stained glass to east and south windows.
Panelled wood side chairs. Cast iron altar rails. Caernarvon head to north
doorway. Chamfered 2 centred arch, angled jamb shafts to north organ chamber.
South wall with a small anda larger chamfered 2 centred archway leading into 2
bay south chapel. Chamfered 2 centred Chancel arch, moulded capitals and bases
to attached jamb shafts, label over. Partly restored C15 base of screen, each
side of 2 bays with moulded rails and buttresses. Panels with septfoil ogee
heads and tracery, spandrels carved with foliage, gargoyles, dragons etc. East
wall of south chapel, wall memorial to William and Catherine Lugar 1778 and
1787, C15 re-sited niche in east wall, moulded and buttressed jambs, defaced
vaulted canopy, much worn, now with C20 metal statue of Virgin and Child. C20
metal statue of St. Francis on a stone cill to south wall. C19 stained glass to
east and south east windows. Chamfered 2 centred arch leading into south aisle.
Nave. C19/C20 brass eagle lectern. C19/C20 octagonal wooden pulpit, moulded
and pierced panels, sounding board over. Roof of 7 cants, alternate trusses
braced from flat wall posts. North and south arcades of 3 bays, chamfered 2
centred arches, moulded capitals and bases to octagonal columns. 3 stained
glass windows to aisles, the rest of diamond leaded coloured glass. Coloured
tile and wood floors. Large memorial plaque to north aisle wall to Elizabeth
wife of Lawrence Jackson, daughter of Humphrey Sydenham 1769 and Lawrence
Jackson 1772. 3 C19 memorials to Henry, Christian and Frederick Bishop. C19
wall brasses to John Bishop and Amy Lugar. C19 stone octagonal font supported by
octagonal central shaft and marble circular angle shafts with moulded capitals
and bases, octagonal base. Painting of Christ Blessing the Children. ?Aert
Pieters 1550-1612. West tower, 2 centred arch of 2 moulded orders, the outer
continuous the inner resting on restored semi-octagonal shafts with moulded
capitals and bases. Chamfered segmental head to stair turret doorway. Said to
be 8 bells, 2 by John Darbie 1676 and 1675, one by Charles Newman 1689 and one
by ?Robert Burford, early C15, inscribed Sum Rosa Pulsata Mundi Maria Vocata."

Listing NGR: TM0539129550

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.