If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 20 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 122250
OS Grid Reference: TL6104431014
OS Grid Coordinates: 561044, 231014
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9543, 0.3422
Explore more of the area around Thaxted, Essex at Explore Britain.
Church of St John the
TL62SW: 5/1 Baptist
20.2.67 (formerly listed as
Church of St John the
Baptist, St Mary and
C14, C15 and early C16, of flint rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Lead,
slate and tile roofs. North and South arcades are circa 1340, south transept, south
porch and porch chamber are late C14. North transept, early C15, Mid C15 north porch
and porch chamber. Late C15 west tower, with early C19 spire. Chancel, north and
south chapels rebuilt early C16, when clerestorey added. This is the largest church
in the County and has numerous original features, notably:- Early C16 east window in
Chancel, of 5 cinquefoiled lights with tracery under a segmental pointed head. C16
stair in SE angle, with four centred arch to doorway. North and south arcades are
of 4 bays each, with moulded piers and attached shafts, with moulded bases and
capitals. 4 centred arches, with pierced traceried spandrels. East window in north
chapel is early C16, of 4 cinquefoiled lights with Tracery in a 4 centred head.
Moulded jambs and mullions. Stone benches between windows. Four similar windows in
north wall with square heads. Doorway with 4 centred arch in sqare head and moulded
jambs. Arch to N transept in moulded, 4 centred with attached shafts, moulded bases
and capitals. South Chapel detailing matches north chapel, with (l19 south doorway.
4 centred N and S arches, and 2 centred E end to crossing are early C16. W arch is
mid C14 of 2 moulded arches with moulded labels, raised in C16. North transept has
C15 wheel window of eight radiating cinquefoiled lights. C18 windows in C15 recesses,
one with angel stops. C15 west arch, four centred, with attached shafts, with moulded
bases and capitals. Blocked C15 window in South transept. South window is C18 in
C14 opening. West wall has C14 arch, of 2 moulded arches, with curved angels at the
apex of the labels. Capital at south side has figure of St Katherine. North and
South arcades to nave are C14, matching west arch of crossing. Piers have 4 round
shafts with rolls between. Early C16 clerestery has C18 and C19 windows. North aisle
has 5 mid C15 windows, 3 with 4 trefoiled agee lights with tracery under a 3 centred
head. The remaining windows are similar but 3. and 5 lights respectively. N doorway
has moulded jambs and 2 centred arch, attached shafts, moulded bases and capitals,
and angel stops. South aisle 2 windows similar to north aisle and 2 late C14 windows
with cinquefoiled lights and tracery in segmental heads. Late C14 south doorway has
moulded jambs. 2 centred arch. C15 doorway to porch chamber stair. Modern west
window. West tower of 4 stages with semi-hexagonal and battered turrets to lower
stages and diagonal buttresses above. Panelled and embattled parapet, with
crocketted pinnacles. Bell chamber 2 two light windows in each face, with square
heads. Late C15, 2 centred tower arch. Mid C15 north porch, 2 centred entrance
archway, with traceried spandrels. E. wall has blocked original window. Stone vault
roof. Porch chamber has C19 windows. Late C14 south porch, has 2 centred entrance
archway, with smaller 4 centred archways in east and west walls. Church vault roof.
Porch chamber has 2 original windows of 4 ogee lights under a square head. Nave roof
is early C16 is camber-beamed, 4 panels wide. North aisle roof, of C15, has knees and
angel carvings at bay centres. South aisle has carved angels of C16. C14 south
transept roof. North transept has King post of late C14 or early C15. Early C16
roofs to chapels, as is the Chancel roof with stout King posts. C15 or early C16
north and south doors. C 1400 Nave door, with ogee headed niches. C16 font case and
cover. C17 Pulpit. Late C17 Communion rail. C17 screens to north and south chapel.
C17 benches. Brass of 1450 in chancel. (RCHM 2).
Listing NGR: TL6104631017
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.