The Public Library, Southend-on-Sea
Description: The Public Library
Date Listed: 19 March 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 122935
OS Grid Reference: TQ8806886075
OS Grid Coordinates: 588068, 186075
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5422, 0.7107
Location: Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea SS2 6AL
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
The Public Library
TQ 88 NE 2/76 19.3.74.
Built in 1905 to the design of H T Hare. Andrew Carnegie contributed £8,000 towards
the cost. A red brick building with stone dressings and a stone plinth. 2 storeys.
The west front has gabled wings at the north and south ends. The centre part
has stone Ionic pilasters. 1:3:1 window range. The upper storey of the centre
part is of panelled stone and the centre mullion to each of the windows is in
the form of a moulded baluster. There are stone swags under each window cill.
The windows in the wings are 3-light with Roman Doric engaged columns and segmental
open pediments on the 1st storey and pilasters on the ground storey. A central
doorway has Roman Doric engaged columns and an open segmental pediment. The south
front has 2 slightly projected bays, of similar design to the wings on the west
front and 3 window range in the centre. A central porch projects on the ground
storey, with an open segmental pediment and pilasters. Roof slate, with a stone
modillion eaves cornice and a central glazed cupola on the west front.
Listing NGR: TQ8806886075
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.