If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 27 July 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 122989
OS Grid Reference: TQ8259593400
OS Grid Coordinates: 582595, 193400
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6098, 0.6357
Explore more of the area around Hockley, Essex at Explore Britain.
HOCKLEY CHURCH ROAD
TQ 89 SW
3/27 Church of St Peter and
Parish church. Possibly pre C12 Nave, C13 Chancel, circa 1210-20 north aisle
and north arcade. C14 west tower with top stage of an unknown date, C16/C17
south porch and in C17 east wall of Chancel rebuilt. C19/C20 north vestry and
restorations. Traditionally believed to have been built by Canute and Turkill
the Dane after victory over Edmund Ironside at the Battle of Ashingdon, no
dateable features visible. Of mixed rubble, limestone dressings, red brick
south porch. Red plain tiled roof, shingle spire. Chancel, east wall, rubble
with plastered gabled, red brick quoins, some gault brick repairs. East window
of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery over, 2 centre arched head and label.
South wall, western restored round headed window label over. C13 chamfered 2
centre arched doorway, label over, blocked C14 2 centre arched window. North
vestry; east cinquefoiled window, 2 centre arched head and label, north wall,
two 2 light windows under square heads, C20 door. North aisle, plastered red
tiled buttress to east. C20 chamfered and trefoiled eastern window, north
doorway, eroded soft stone C13 2 centre arched doorway. Western 2 centre arched
window. Nave. South wall, three 3 light windows similar to east window. South
porch, red brick, weatherboarded gable, square doorway with C20 diamond boarding
to doors, single light 4 centred return windows, side seats, cambered tie beam,
arched braces missing, collars to each rafter pair. Trefoiled stoup to east
wall. C13 south doorway with jambs and 2 centred arch of 2 chamfered orders.
West tower, of 2 stages, the lower square, the upper an irregular octagon with
restored crenellations and band, angle buttresses to first stage are capped with
red tiles. Small shingle spire with weathervane. Restored trefoiled 2 light
windows under square heads labels over,to 4 faces of belfry. North face, stone
capping over first stage. 2 small lights, the upper trefoiled ogee, the lower
much worn but possibly originally ogee, C20 single storey lean-to. West face,
west doorway, badly worn soft stone ogee arch under a square head, worn niche to
second stage. South face. Lower trefoiled window under a square head and
label, worn ogee window over. Blocked small pointed light to south east second
stage. Interior. Chancel. Staggered side purlin roof. 3 tie beams. Blocked
4 centre arched north wall window. Piscina pointed heart shaped head, square
base, rear lintel or shelf, blocked drain, segmental heads to north and south
doorways. Panelled dado, C20 traceried altar rail. C20 wood block floors.
Floor slab illegible. No Chancel arch, tie beam with arched brace. Rood beam
with Christ and the 2 Maries. Nave, wooden octagonal pulpit carved and restored
by Miss A.S. Tawke 1926, Lamb, Fish and Cock to side panels. Roof, four 4 armed
square crown posts with capitals and bases on stop chamfered tie beams, moulded
wall plates to one bay. Piscina to south wall with square head, much worn.
C1844 south eastern memorial window cuts through the original rood loft stairs
doorway. C13 very large purbeck marble octagonal font, each face with 2 shallow
2 centred arches, the stem cut down with shafts at angles, plain base. Requiem
altar, part of a large high altar discovered 1937 beneath the eastern end of the
nave, with chamfered lower edge and 3 consecration crosses. Carved low rail
from south doorway enclosing font to north. C1210-20 north arcade of 4 bays
with 2 centred arches of outer plain, inner chamfered orders. Circular columns,
moulded bases carved foliate capitals, responds have attached half columns.
North aisle. C13 lancet window to west wall. East cinquefoil light window with
C15 quarries of yellow glass forming a cross and inscribed "Deus" or "Ictus" in
black letters. C20 ornaments of Nave and Lady Chapel, Stations of the Cross and
Rood and statues of SS Peter and Paul carved in limewood by Austrian woodcarver
Anton Dapre. Organ converted from a Robson Barrel Organ in 1841 with later
rebuilding. Chamfered 2 centred arched Piscina to north wall. Chamfered 2
centred tower arch. Stair turret door to north of arch. West tower belfry
frame with corner posts, arched braces to side girts and braces from cill to
centre of side girts to north and south, all much worn. Carved wood 1914-18 War
memorial to north wall by W. Himpett. Crucifix fashioned from remnants of
belfry frame. 3 bells by Miles Gray 1626, James Bartlett 1684 and John Hodgson
1657. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TQ8259593400
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.