British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Barling Magna

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 27 July 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 123068

OS Grid Reference: TQ9320489713
OS Grid Coordinates: 593204, 189713
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5732, 0.7867

Location: Church Road, Barling, Essex SS3 0LS

Locality: Barling Magna
Local Authority: Rochford District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: SS3 0LS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Barling Magna, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 98 NW
12/25 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12 south wall of Nave. C15 the chancel was lengthened, the
north vestry and west tower added. Circa 1500 chancel partly rebuilt, north
aisle and arcade and south porch added. The upper part of south porch is
C16/C17. Vestry rebuilt C19. C19 and later restorations. Ragstone rubble and
flint, multi-coloured brick to Chancel gable apex, plaster to north arcade
gables and south porch. Limestone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs, shingle
spire. Chancel, east wall, angle buttresss, moulded cornice carried through
returns, window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, moulded 4-centred arch and label. C19
plastered lean-to north vestry attached to north wall. South wall is buttressed
between 2 windows each of 2 cinquefoiled lights, moulded 4-centred arches and
labels. 2-centred arch doorway and vertically boarded door to west of buttress,
C19 except for rear splays. Circa 1500 north aisle, east wall window of 3
cinquefoiled lights, segmental head, brick repairs over. 3 north wall windows
each of 2 cinquefoiled lights, segmental pointed heads and labels. Between the
2 western windows is the north doorway, moulded 2-centred arch and label with
head stops. Door of ridged battens with fillets over joints. West window
similar to that in east wall but with moulded label. Buttresses to angles and
between windows and door. Nave, south wall, with 2 windows of 2 cinquefoiled
lights with cusped lights over, that to west C14, to east C19/C20. Gabled south
porch between, rubble plinth, plastered above. Moulded timber square headed
outer entrance, of 2 bays; chamfered arched braces to chamfered and cambered
tie beams, side seats, C19 south doorway, chamfered 2-centred arch, label with
foliate stops, rear arch may be C12. West Tower:- Crenellated with octagonal
spire and weathervane. Of three stages bands to parapet, belfry and first
stage. Angle buttresses. North east stair turret. Flint flushwork band below
second stage. C20 chamfered round headed windows to north, south and west
faces. Flint flushwork chequered band to second stage of west face with central
cinquefoiled niche, 2-centred arch. Each face of the bell chamber has a
restored window of 2 trefoiled lights under a square head and moulded label.
First stage west window of cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, 2-centred head,
moulded label. To left and right of this window are trefoiled 2-centred arch
niches each with a carved statue. West doorway, with moulded 2-centred arch and
label, vertically boarded door with muntins and tracery. Clock to west face
below bell chamber. Signs of a former higher roof level are visible on the east
face. Interior:- Chancel:- 5 cant 2-bay roof structure, ribbed and boarded,
bosses at intersections. Moulded and crenellated wall plates with shields of
arms. Central moulded tie beam on wall posts supported by corbels. C19 stained
glass to east window. Piscina to south wall, trefoiled 2-centred arch, round
drain. Coloured marble inlay to reredos. South wall, low cill to window with 2
defaced carved figures. 3 floor slabs, John and Elizabeth Davies 1739. George
Asser 1683 and 1687. George Asser 1738 shield of arms over inscription. North
doorway, chamfered 2-centred arch. North vestry, moulded cast iron fire
surround with shell back. No Chancel arch. Wrought iron altar rails, scrolled
with flowers. North arcade of 4 bays, west respond and columns sunk chamfered
octagonal with sunk chamfered and moulded capitals and bases, similar moulding
to 2-centred arches, moulded corbel with foliate base to east. Nave:- plastered
4 cant roof. Square red tiled floor. Pulpit, panelled octagonal on octagonal
base; octagonal sounding board with carved angle and central flowers. Brass
eagle lectern. Floor slab Eleanor aged 17 and her son George Hurst aged 3
months, 1751. 1902 stained glass to south west window. C15 octagonal font with
quatrefoils and shields to panels, moulded pilasters to stem, moulded bases.
North aisle, plastered side purlin roof of 7 bays. Red square-tiled floor.
C13/C14 floor slab with cusped cross, another much worn floor slab at western
end of north aisle. Rood loft stairs, upper and lower doorways the former with
simple segmental head, the latter with chamfered pointed segmental head. Organ,
label reads: The Positive Organ Co. Ltd, Cassons. Painting on north wall,
Christ carrying the Cross. 2-centred Tower Arch of 2 chamfered orders. Said to
contain 2 bells, by John Dier, late C16 and by John Hodson, 1666. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ9320489713

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.