If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary and All Saints
Date Listed: 27 July 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 123279
OS Grid Reference: TQ8945490736
OS Grid Coordinates: 589454, 190736
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5836, 0.7332
Explore more of the area around Stambridge, Essex at Explore Britain.
STAMBRIDGE STAMBRIDGE ROAD
TQ 89 SE
6/298 Church of St. Mary and
Parish Church. Pre-Conquest nave and chancel, circa 1300 south aisle, much
rebuilding C13 and C14 of chancel. C15 west tower and north porch. C19 north
vestry and south organ chamber and heavy C19 retorations. Ragstone, flint,
septaria, puddingstone and brick. Stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs.
Small weatherboarded spire to west tower. Chancel, east wall buttressed at
angles, C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, 2-centred arch and
label, rear splays and arch probably C14. North wall, western small 2-centred
arch window, label over, above this window the traces of a pre-Conquest arch.
Hipped roof to Cl9 polygonal north vestry, 2-centred arch to central doorway and
similar small arches to side windows. South wall, C19 window of 2 pointed
lights, under a 2-centred head. South aisle has 2 windows with a buttress
between the organ chamber and its single window, boiler house to west, C19 aisle
and organ chamber windows of 3 and 2 ogee lights respectively, segmental heads
and labels. Nave, north wall has 3 windows, the eastern C13 much repaired with
a square head, the other 2 probably C15 of 2 cinquefoiled lights under square
heads, moulded labels. Between these windows is a late C14 doorway, moulded
jambs and 2-centred head, moulded label, vertically boarded door, ornate iron
hinges. North porch. C14/C15, timber framed, brick plinth. Chamfered
2-centred arch in a square moulded outer order. Of 2 bays, moulded arched
braces to cambered tie beams, 2 armed crown posts. Stone and brick side seats,
brick floor. The north wall of the Nave is of ragstone and puddingstone and is
of pre-Conquest date, remains of 2 windows can be traced in the wall and an
off-set carried through from the chancel about 3 metres from ground level. West
tower, renewed red brick crenellations. Stone and flint chequerwork plinth. Of
3 stages, buttressed to and with band below the top stage. Bell chamber, north
and south faces have each a single light 2-centred window with moulded label,
east and west faces have each 3 similar lights. West window C15 of 3
cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, 2-centred head and label. C15 west
doorway, chamfered jambs, 2-centred head and label, nailed plank and muntin door
with strap hinges. Niche to south of west door, chamfered jambs, 4-centred
head, probably C15. The interior is much restored. C19 chancel roof of 4 bays,
hammerbeams supported by head corbels, side purlin ridge board structure. Nave
roof similar of 4 bays. C19 coloured tiled floors throughout. C20 marble
reredos, C19 stained glass to windows. Piscina, moulded ogee head and jambs,
fluted bowl resting on a human head. Low seat window to west of Piscina. North
doorway into vestry circa 1350. No chancel arch, semi-octagonal responds with
foliate capitals. Nave:- Wooden semi-octagonal pulpit with carved tracery.
Archway to rood loft staircase to north west wall. Piscina to west wall, circa
1300. South arcade of 3 bays, octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases,
2-centred arches of 2 hollow chamfered orders. C15 octagonal font, one side
blank, the others with a quatrefoil enclosing flowers or shields of arms. West
wall memorial to John Harriot of Broomhills, Stambridge. Brass on north wall to
John Winthrop married here in 1605 to Mary Forth he sailed to America 1630 in
the "Arabella" and became the first Governor of Boston, Massachusetts. C20
stained glass window of the Arabella subscribed by the Winthrop family in
America. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TQ8945490736
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.