British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Sutton

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 27 July 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 123293

OS Grid Reference: TQ8878589231
OS Grid Coordinates: 588785, 189231
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5703, 0.7227

Location: Sutton Road, Sutton, Essex SS4 1LG

Locality: Sutton
Local Authority: Rochford District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: SS4 1LG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

TQ 88 NE
11/320 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Early C17 chancel and nave. C14/C15 bell turret. Date on south
porch 1633. Circa 1869 and later repairs and restorations. Ragstone rubble,
Reigate and Barnack stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs, cedar shingles to
bell turret and spirelet. Chancel 3 C19 lancet windows, labels over to east
wall, angle buttresses. North wall lancet window, label over, Cl2 rear splays.
South wall, 2 restored lancet windows labels over, that to west taller, the east
window with C12 rear splay. To the east is a blocked partly restored C13
doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch. Nave, north wall, eastern C19
window of 3 trefoiled lights, tracery over, 2-centred arch and label with stops,
western C12 restored round headed window. C12 rounded headed north doorway,
C15/C16 door of 4 nailed overlapping boards, one strap-hinge. Heavy oak cill.
The doorway is now disused and forms a cupboard. Electricity metres have been
fixed to the inner face. Stone quoins to angles. Wrought iron crosses to gable
apices. West wall C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights tracery over, 2-centred
arch, moulded label with foliate stops. Below this window the stonework
suggests a blocked doorway. South wall. Eastern C19 window of 3 trefoiled
lights tracery over, 2-centred arch, label with stops, western C12 round headed
window. South porch gabled and plastered. The moulded, square headed wooden
doorway with sunk spandrels dated 1633, guilloche pattern lintel over, round
door arch with key block. Cl9 barge boards to gable. C20 outer doors. Wrought
iron cross to gable apex. Internally the roof is boarded, the side walls each
have blocked windows of turned balusters, possibly former altar rails. Below
the windows the walls are lined with C17 panelling, partly fluted and partly
plain frieze, names cut on west side Charles Hobson 1647, Samuel Purchas 1647
and ...ard Britridge 1647. South doorway C13 2-centred arch of 3 moulded
orders, moulded jambs of 3 orders have each one attached and 2 free shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. Interior:- Chancel:- C15 roof of 7 cants, square
section 4 armed crown post on central tie beam. Moulded wall plate. C19
coloured tiled floor. C19 stained glass to windows. Altar rails, turned
balusters to possibly older top rails. C19 east window with capitals and bases
to jamb shafts. Brass floor slab to south, from Shopland Church, of Thomas
Stapel, 1371, Serjeant-at-arms, in armour with sword,pointed bascinet, comail
etc., knee-cops and legs below missing, indents of marginal inscriptions,
crocketed canopy and shields. 2 floor slabs, Sarah Nott 1753 and Mary Scratton
1830-1877. Blocked 2-centred arch to south wall; memorial to C. Tyrell MDCXCV
over. Small bible box from Shopland Church. Medieval painting on splays of
north wall C12 window. Alabaster and coloured marble wall monument, mourning
woman, urn and willow 1771, Chester Moor Hall of Sutton Hall, the maker of the
first achromatic telescope. Black and white wall monument to John White of
Rochford 1797. Aumbry with chamfered 2-centred head. Medieval painting to C12
round headed chancel arch of 2 orders on the west face, the inner plain the
outer roll moulded, the responds each have a flat half round attached shaft with
moulded bases and restored capitals, moulded abaci carried around the imposts.
Nave. Simple stage octagonal pulpit. C15 seven cant roof of 3 bays, moulded
wall plates, 4 armed crown posts with moulded capitals and bases. C14/C15
timber bell turret at west end of nave with 4 outer and 4 inner posts, arched
braces to lower and upper portal-frames. South door of a rare type, only 5 are
known in Essex, assembled with counter-rebates, its top and base seem to have
been cut off, similar doors are at Castle Hedingham and Elmstead Churches. This
door was faced to south 1869. Said to be one bell by John Clifton 1638. 2
hatchments. One coat of arms. Circa 1817 organ from Shopland Church, by Gray,
one row of pipes revoiced 1850. C13 font, square with 5 narrow 2-centred arches
to each face, C19/C20 central and angle shafts with moulded capitals and bases,
square base, octagonal plinth and floor slab. Poor box with end bands, barrel
interior lid. North wall monument to Lt Wm Burchell killed on the ship Royal Oak
at Chesapeke, 9 August 1814. C A Hewett 'Church Carpentry' 1974. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ8878589231

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.