If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Catherine
Date Listed: 4 July 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 126629
OS Grid Reference: SO8900323598
OS Grid Coordinates: 389003, 223598
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9108, -2.1613
Explore more of the area around Staverton, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SO 82 SE STAVERTON CHURCH LANE
6/88 Church of St Catherine
Parish church. C13, C14, possibly C15, 1712, 1735 (both
datestones), vestry 1865, restored 1870-1884 by H.M. Townsend, 1897
by Prothero. Tower and north transept approaching ashlar, coursed,
roughly squared stone to part of nave, irregular-bond brickwork to
south wall of nave; English garden wall bond brickwork to vestry,
random rubble with ashlar dressings to chancel; stone slate roof.
Nave and chancel not divided structurally; south porch and tower,
north transept and vestry. Windows generally reticulated tracery.
South front: nave, angled buttress to left, stone base to brick
arch; MG 1735 carved on one brick by wall monument to J. Togwell,
1807. Two-light window, deep, splayed reveal: top of wall rebuilt
to right late C19. To right porch, timber-framing on ashlar
plinth, framing 2 panels high, rendered infill. Narrow panels each
side opening in gable, cambered tie-beam over, close studding
above, plain barge boards. Adjoining on right low tower, angle
buttresses with wide projection, 3-light window, 2-light above,
stone lintel, stone louvres, sundial, crenellated parapet. Right
return, splay on right remains of stair turret. 1680 and mid C18
headstones against base of tower, 2 wall monuments above, one with
drapery, cherubs' heads and hourglass over, other gadrooned base
and plaque below only. Single-light opening to belfry, as south;
stone chute for rainwater; crenellated parapet. 'WL/ RH Ch.War.
1712' on one crenel. Set back on right chancel, 1904 wall
monument, 2-light window as nave. Chancel east 2-light window,
parapet gable, cross-gablet apex with cross. North face: plain
wall on left; lean-to brick vestry, 2-light reset window on left
return, 3-panel door (all vertical with blind tracery heads),
cambered brick arch. Transept projects to right, plinth, 3
buttresses left return, fourth removed when vestry built, 2-light
window between second and third. Gable plinth, 2-light window,
wall extends into buttress each side, with disturbance on left -
as if projecting one removed; gable faced stone slate. Right
return as left, but 4 buttresses; late C20 boiler house and
chimney against nave: north nave wall plain. West face, plinth,
angled buttress, centre of wall rebuilt up to 3-light mullioned
window, 4-centred heads to each light, stone lintel, relieving
arch; parapet gable, cross-gablet apex.
Interior: porch, boarded door under arched head to tower; double,
boarded door with 4-centred head to moulded surround to nave.
Church, walls rendered. Nave, blocked opening in north wall, semi-
circular early C18 arch to tower, plain impost blocks; cambered
arch to north transept. Three-bay crown-post roof, collar purlin,
collar rafters with slight braces, moulded wallplate and tie-beams.
North transept 3-bay roof, 2 plain beams, Jacobethan-style moulded
plaster ceiling between. South transept under tower: piscina,
springers for vault on south side only. Chancel late C19 king-post
roof. Unusual 1627 wall monument to Rev T. Banester; 1772 to Rev
H. Windowe, marble, with scrolls each side and pediment over. Five
late C18, early C19 wall monuments, including to E.J.Luttrell, with
figure rising from split sarcophagus, greeted by angel with crown
(1848). Octagonal timber pulpit on stem, blind tracery to sides.
Top of-tower removed in 1712, stone used to remake west end of
nave. Gallery removed in late C19. Main door moved to west end
nave 1872, returned to south side with porch 1897. Forms group
with Old Manor House and Staverton Lea Farmhouse (both q.v.).
(Old photographs at N.M.R.; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale
and the Forest of Dean, 1970; The Rev J.B.T. Homfray, St
Catherine's Church, Staverton, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8900323598
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.