If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Oswald
Date Listed: 26 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 129207
OS Grid Reference: SP0370518540
OS Grid Coordinates: 403705, 218540
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8654, -1.9476
Explore more of the area around Shipton, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SP 01 NW SHIPTON SHIPTON OLIFFE
5/102 Church of St. Oswald
Anglican parish church. C12 and C13, restored by H.A. Prothero,
1903-4. Coursed limestone rubble, more finely dressed stone in
east gable end of chancel and in nave north wall, stone slate roof.
Nave, south transept with porch against west wall and chancel. C13
south transept with contemporary buttresses with offsets at west
gable end, trefoil-headed lancet in west wall, two square-topped
lancets (formerly pointed) in gable ends, Decorated 2-light east
window with hood with scroll stops. Chancel south wall; small C13
lancet left, early 2-light Decorated window with scroll moulded
hood with an order of dogtooth ornament within and stops in the
form of human heads, one male, one female. East window comprises
two lancets, recessed within three orders of continuous cylindrical
moulding. Simple pointed hoodmoulds originally shared a common
stop, probably in the shape of a small shell, similar to the two
remaining stops. Chancel north wall; three C13 lancets, one with
trefoiled head, one with hood. Nave north wall; two 2-light
stone-mullioned windows one within blocking of C12 doorway with
plain semi-circular tympanum and shallow hoodmould. West gable
end; central clamp buttress rising up to bellcote. Single
cinquefoil-headed lights either side of buttress with hoods with
shields with letters and date reading 'AM/DG/19/04'. Nave south
wall; small C20 two-light stone-mullioned window. Porch (probably
rebuilt C20) Studded plank door incorporating part of early door
(probably formerly within porch), within almost flat C20 Tudor-
arched surround. C20 door within porch with fillets, within
pointed flat-chamfered surround with hood. Fine C13 bellcote with
2 pointed bell chambers separated by two tiny bell columns, that on
the west dying into the contemporary buttress. Two pinnacles
either side of bellcote, the whole being surmounted by a pyramidal
capping surmounted by a cross. Flat gable end coping with roll-
cross saddles. East facing edge of roof coping at east end of
chancel decorated with dogtooth decoration.
Interior. Plastered. Pointed C13 chancel arch with C12 jambs.
Two pointed arches, with central octagonal pier, dating from early
C20 restoration. C19 two bay chancel roof and C19 three bay nave
roof. Single bay to wagon roof (formerly plastered to transept).
South transept: trefoil-headed piscina in south wall containing
stone mortar. Early English rere arcade to south window, trefoiled
rere arch to west window. Chancel; fine C14 piscina with trefoil-
headed openings on north and west sides separated by a moulded
pier, below. Decorated window in south wall, 2 stone slab sedilia
right of the rere arch to window continued over sedilia, corbel of
a man with a protruding tongue at right-hand end of rere arch.
Another man's head corbel (probably not in its original position)
left of window. Fine Early English rere arcade to east window with
central free standing column with dogtooth decoration. Altar C20
oak with stone mensa. Remains of painted black lettered text with
decorative border in red (possibly C17) on south wall between
windows. Remains of early painted decalogue in two parts on nave
north wall. Small area of former wall painting possibly
representing drapery, left of chancel arch. Painted Royal Arms of
1714-1801 in plaster over chancel arch. C20 panelling in nave,
fielded panelling in chancel and transept, sunken panelling with
moulded margins and C17 'S'-scroll frieze in sanctuary (reused).
Stone flag floor. Octagonal stone font inside south doorway. C20
pews and pulpit. Monuments: west wall of transept; monument to
Mary Peachy of Shipton Sollis, died 1772, limestone with carved and
painted inscription. Winged cherub's head high-lighted in gold
within triangular pediment, painted red roses either side. Margin
of inscription panel outlined in green. Consoles painted black
below. Single C19 monument on south wall of chancel. C19 stained
glass in east window, one light depicting the Virgin Mary the other
Saint Thomas. (Brian Taylor, Notes on The Church of St. Oswald,
Shipton Oliffe; David Verey, The Buildings of England: The
Listing NGR: SP0370418543
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.