British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Shipton

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 129218

OS Grid Reference: SP0312818478
OS Grid Coordinates: 403128, 218478
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8649, -1.9560

Location: Shipton, Gloucestershire GL54 4HU

Locality: Shipton
Local Authority: Cotswold District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL54 4HU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Shipton, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


5/113 Church of St. Mary

Anglican parish church. C13, Perpendicular, restored 1884-5 for
Mr. E. Fieldhouse of Shipton Sollars Manor and again in 1930 by
Messrs. R.L. Boulton of Cheltenham. Nave and chancel. Coursed
limestone rubble, originally plastered, traces of which remain.
Chancel north wall; single cinquefoil-headed lancet with stopped
hood. Three-light Perpendicular east window with stopped hood.
Chancel south wall; partly blocked 2-light window within
rectangular surround with Perpendicular tracery, small lancet left,
part of the east jamb of a priest's doorway between the two
windows. Nave south wall; votive cross incised into quoin c3Ocm
above base course at south-east corner of nave, pointed early plank
door (repaired at bottom) with fillets within early Perpendicular
doorway of 2 orders. Late Perpendicular, square-headed 2-light
window with cinquefoil heads to each light right. Three-light
Perpendicular west window with tracery and stopped hood. Nave
north wall; single cinquefoil-headed light and stopped hood. C19
plank door with fillets in form of decorative tracery and shields
with floral decoration and stopped hood. Two consecration crosses
visible scratched into remnants of plaster, one about lm west of
north door, one immediately west of north chancel window. Slightly
stepped gable coping. Roll-cross saddle with early stone cross
(discovered during restoration of church). C19 bellcote at west
gable end of nave with single bell and simple cross finial.
Interior plastered. Pointed flat-chamfered chancel arch. Three
bay C15 wagon roof to nave with tie beams with moulded soffits,
king posts to collars and moulded wallplate, section nearest
chancel enclosed to form wagon roof with finely carved wooden
bosses at intersections of panels. Similar single bay roof to
chancel. Small aumbry left of arch. Aumbry in north wall of
sanctuary left of altar with thick stone slab shelf, C20 door with
traceried decoration. Simple Early English piscina in south wall
of chancel, front of bowl defaced. Early C20 panelling in chancel,
panelling behind altar with linenfold decoration. Remains of post-
Reformation texts on north and south walls of nave. Black letter
inscription 'God Save the King' (probably Henry VIII) over chancel
arch. Inscription 'I R 1212' left of chancel arch, probably
recording the foundation of the church in that year during the
reign of King John (Ioannis Rex). Eight painted consecration
crosses, 4 in nave and 4 in chancel, all reddish brown in colour
(painted around at later date). Flagstone floor. C20 choir
stalls and chairs. Mid C17 carved oak pulpit with tester probably
made from discarded pieces of carving. C20 hourglass stand
attached to wall in front of pulpit was made to house an old
hourglass brought from elsewhere. c1930. Two C17 carved oak
chairs one elaborately carved with roses and thistles, the other a
child's chair. Stone mensa (found during C20 restoration of
church) supported by 2 cylindrical columns with moulded capitals
and bases standing on a chamfered stone, (possibly from a chest
tomb). Monuments: Nave north wall; monument to John Powell of
Frogmill, died 1734, and other members of the Powell family. Oval
limestone plaque with finely carved winged cherub's head at top.
Nave south wall; monument to Sarah Roberts, wife of Thomas Roberts
of Hampen, Gent, died 1671. Segmental pediment, marble inscription
plaque in limestone surround, wreathed half skull at top, winged
angel at bottom, foliate decoration either side of sunken
inscription panel. Unidentified monument left, dated 1697, marble
inscription panel fine carved limestone surround, almost heart-
shaped inscription plaque with beaded surround and winged faces at
top and bottom. Scroll work flowers and fruit at bottom. Stone
ledger set in floor of sanctuary in front of altar with letters
J.W.E.S.R. and date 1706. Further stone ledgers in nave. Brass
plaque on north wall left of altar to Joseph Walker, rector of
Shipton churches, died 1706. Fine C20 stained glass in chancel,
figures of St. Thomas and St. Mary Magdalene in east window, arms
of Fieldhouse family in north window. Two medallions in south-east
window and figure of Madonna and Child in south-west window. All
glass by Geoffrey Webb. (Brian Taylor, Notes on The Church of St.
Mary, Shipton Sollars; David Verey, The Buildings of England, The
Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP0312618479

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.