British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Nicholas, Oddington

Description: Church of St Nicholas

Grade: I
Date Listed: 25 August 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 130280

OS Grid Reference: SP2348725548
OS Grid Coordinates: 423487, 225548
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9280, -1.6598

Location: Church Road, Oddington, Gloucestershire GL56 0XB

Locality: Oddington
Local Authority: Cotswold District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL56 0XB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Oddington, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP 2325
11/167 Church of St. Nicholas
Former Anglican parish church now redundant. C12, C13, C14, C15
and C19. Coursed, squared and dressed limestone, stone slate roof.
C12 nave, now south aisle, with C14 projecting porch, on south, C13
tower at east end. C13 nave north of south aisle and tower with
buttressed C15 chancel at east end. South aisle: keel moulded
string course, small lancet at west end with keel-moulded, stopped
hood. Monument to John Gardner, his wife and four children, with
winged cherub at top, 3 carved faces and festoon below, lower
right. South wall: 3-light C14 windows with reticulated tracery
and stopped hoods flanking porch. Pointed arched entrance to porch
with mass dial on left. C13 three stage tower possibly built on
foundations of C12 chancel, C14 window with quatrefoil in south
wall, lancet window in east wall, lancet windows on each face of
second stage, 2-light belfry windows on each face of third stage,
embattlemented parapet with gargoyles. Chancel south wall; two C14
lancets, C20 plank priests door within pointed-arched surround. 3
separate cinquefoil lights at east end. Two C14 lancets in north
wall. Nave north wall: C20 rectangular casement lower left, partly
blocked pointed arched C15 doorway with stopped hood and C19 'Y'
tracery at top, 3-light C15 west window. Roof; flat and slightly
stepped gable-end coping with roll-cross saddles.
Interior: stone bench seats within porch with incised lines where
yeomen are reputed to have sharpened their arrows. C12 pointed
arched entrance to south aisle flanked by engaged columns with
stiff leaf capitals and moulded imposts, keel moulded hood above
with beast's head stops, 2 steps down to south aisle. C13, two-bay
double-chamfered pointed arched arcade with composite piers and
responds with octagonal or semi-octagonal moulded capitals, traces
of painted decoration on both arches. Similar but blocked arch
with round-headed entrance through blocking to chapel at base of
tower, fragment of stone sculpture upper left of pointed arch, C13
pointed arch from chancel to nave with C19 wooden screen inserted.
C13 pointed-arched piscina with stopped hood in east wall of
chapel. Two original cinquefoil image niches at east end of nave
either side of altar. Red and black tile floors to chancel
otherwise flag floors. Coved plaster ceiling hides timbers of
south aisle roof. C15 roof with braced tie beam and corbels
decorated with carved faces to nave. Simple C19 roof with collar
to chancel. Wall paintings, very large mid C14 Doom wall painting
on north wall of nave. Traces of wall painting on east wall of
chapel and above image niches at east end of chancel. C15 octag-
onal font with quatrefoil decoration on each face at south end of
nave. C17 carved oak hexagonal wooden pulpit with sounding board.
C17 altar table, C18 communion rails, C19 chairs and pews C19. C15
oak bench with carved ends in chapel. Monuments etc; wooden ben-
efaction board left of west window in nave with details of benefac-
tion by Joseph Harvey of Churchill by his will dated 1812. Small
square canvas bearing Queen Victoria's royal arms right of window.
Royal arms of William IV painted over chancel arch. 3 monuments on
north wall of chancel: white on black monument to Rev. Joseph Owen,
curate of the parish, died 1826; brass plaque to The Honourable
John Talbot Rice died 1899; limestone and marble monument to Thomas
Chamberlayne, died 1640 comprising oval plaque with keyed surround
flanked by 2 Doric columns supporting an open segmental pediment
enclosing a cartouche. Carved bones, skulls, etc., at bottom
flanking plaque recording the erection of the monument at the
expense of John Chamberlayne. South wall: white and grey marble
plaque to Charlotte Rice, died 1832 another to Elizabeth Lenthal
died 1830, brass plaque to Rev. Edward Rice, Dean of Gloucester
died 1862 below. Commandment boards set in image niches either
side of altar. History: church originally belonged to St Peter's
Abbey, Gloucester, was ceded to the See of York in 1157 and exchan-
ged with the Crown in 1545. In the C13 Oddington was a residence
of the Archbishop of York. (David Verey: The Buildings of England,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP2348425548

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.