If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 26 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 130483
OS Grid Reference: SP1365415270
OS Grid Coordinates: 413654, 215270
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8359, -1.8032
Explore more of the area around Farmington, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
FARMINGTON FARMINGTON VILLAGE
SP 11 NW
1/45 Church of St. Peter
Anglican parish church. C12, Transitional, C13, C14, late
Perpendicular, north aisle rebuilt 1890-1. Nave, chancel and
north aisle large blocks coursed finely dressed limestone. North
and east walls of chancel partially rebuilt. Porch and tower
limestone rubble, the latter with dressed quoins, stone slate
roofs. Plan; nave with projecting porch towards west end on
south, and north aisle, chancel with vestry on north. Tower at
west end of nave. C12 nave and chancel with flat-chamfered
plinth. Chancel south wall; C12 corbel table comprising simple
brackets. Stones between corbel brackets decorated with simple
shallow double-chevron motifs. Chamfered cornice above decorated
with large pellet decoration. Two C13 two-light windows with
plate tracery and scroll-moulded hoods and stops. Blocked lancet
between traceried windows. Three-light east window within
rectangular surround, crudely executed asymmetrical Perpendicular
tracery at top. North wall; flat-chamfered eaves cornice with
pellet decoration partially reconstructed after rebuilding of wall.
Two corbels retained at east end. Blocks with shallow carved
chevron motif reused lower down in wall. Nave south wall; corbel
table as on south wall, some corbels decorated with carved beasts
or human heads. C19 two-light window with cinquefoil-headed
lights right of porch, similar window left. Three-stage tower
with moulded plinth. Strings between stages. Hollow-moulded
stone-mullioned casements with trefoil-headed lights to ground
floor on west. Stone sundial with metal gnomon left of slit
window to first floor on south side. Two, 2-light trefoil-headed
bellcote openings with carved spandrels and stone slate louvres to
third stage. Two large square stone clocks on east and west faces
of third stage. Battlemented parapet with moulded string.
Weathervane. Late C19 vestry and north aisle. C14 buttressed
porch on south side of nave with pointed arch of 2 orders and
moulded hood. Stone seats along side walls. Flag floor. C20
plank door to nave within C12 surround with intersecting circles on
the level, diaper decoration on tympanum and enclosed in a
chevroned arch supported on jamb shafts with voluted capitals and
tongued bases. Roof; flat and stepped coping at gable ends.
Early cross finial at apex of gable end of chancel. Similar but
C19 cross finial at gable end of nave. Carved saddle (probably
formerly with cross finial) at apex of porch gable.
Church interior: 3-bay nave arcade with cylindrical piers and
large overhanging scalloped capitals and pointed arches. Fine C12
chancel arch of 3 orders rising from engaged columns with voluted
capitals. Chevroned decoration to two outer orders, inner order
decorated with double chevron motif with finely carved 4-petal
flowers in addition. C19 pointed arch from chancel to vestry and
from east end of north aisle to vestry. Double-chamfered pointed
arch from nave to base of tower. Archway blocked 1954, C20 plank
door flanked by single lights with chamfered jambs. Blocked single
C12 round-headed light above arch. C19 four-bay roof to nave with
braced collar and 'V'-struts. Curved wind-bracing below purlin.
C20 panelled roof to chancel with brattished cornice. Segmental-
headed piscina right of altar. Carved stone fragment possibly
representing a gate, set in splay of window right of altar. Stone
flag and parquet flooring. Furniture and fittings; octagonal
stone font of 1784 in Gothick style, inside south door. Fine early
C18 oak pulpit decorated with simple inlay, finely carved nulling
around top. Fine brass Art Nouveau lectern in memory of Major
General William Noel Waller, died 1909. C20 pews and choir stalls.
C17 communion rail with turned balusters. Stone altar table
supported by 3 circular stone columns. Monuments; small brass
inscription plaque to 'Thomas Cox of Lincolns Inn Barraster, died
1658' under chancel arch. Large stone ledger at centre of chancel
aisle to Miriam, died 1734 and John Eykyn, died 1768. Two small
brass plaques either side one to 'Dorothy Smith, wife of William
Smith of Alvscote, Oxon, died 1668'. One to Humphrey Smith, died
1659. Small brass plaque set in ledger to Winnifred Smith, died
1662. Two stone ledgers in front of alter. Right-hand ledger to
Humphrey Smith died 1688/7. Left-hand ledger to Elizabeth Dynely,
died 1789. Possibly C16 or C17 carved stone decorated with
heraldic emblems comprising a crowned rose at centre, tree on right
and a gate-like emblem (the latter matching the carved stone set
in the splay of a window in the chancel). Pointed moulded hood
with foliate decoration. Three C20 monuments on south wall of
nave. C19 stained glass in east window.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The
Listing NGR: SP1365515272
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.