If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Lodge Park and Adjoining Walls and Railings
Date Listed: 23 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 130612
OS Grid Reference: SP1455312272
OS Grid Coordinates: 414553, 212272
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8089, -1.7903
Explore more of the area around Sherborne, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SHERBORNE LODGE PARK
SP 11 SW
3/174 Lodge Park and adjoining
walls and railings
Former grandstand, now house. Mid C17, altered and extended late
C19. Built for John Dutton. Probably designed by John Webb (q.v.
Lamport Hall, Northamptonshire) but executed by Valentine Strong of
Taynton. Converted into house and extended in 1898 by King, for
Emily Theresa, Lady Sherborne, further interior alterations
undertaken in 1930s. Ashlar with rusticated quoins and moulded
plinth. Flat leaded roof to main body. Stone slate roof to game
larder. Rectangular main body. Single bay extension of 1898 at
rear. Short corridor, open on one side from west to small game
larder with square plan set within courtyard wall at rear. Three-
bay portico with first floor verandah. Fenestration of main body;
cross windows with moulded architraves and square-sectioned
architraves. Shallow segmental pediments over ground floor windows
either side of entrance portico, moulded cornice continued at same
level. Broken triangular pediments over first floor windows.
Stone busts of 4 men and one woman set within pediments. Two
shell-headed alcoves either side of central window. Balustrade
with plain intermediary piers. Portico spanning central 3 bays
with 4 banded columns with round-headed arches and rusticated
stonework. Parapet matching that above first floor windows.
Double part-glazed door with two fielded panels at bottom; within
moulded round-headed surround with bag stops and imposts continued
as bands either side. Carved keystone and spandrels with stylised
foliate decoration. Engaged splat baluster type decoration from
impost level to band above door either side of doorway. Single
windows to returns of main body. Late C19 extension at rear, 2
storeys. Stone-mullioned cross-windows to ground floor, 2-light
stone-mullioned casement to first floor. Two-light stone-mullioned
casements with glazing bars at rear. Mid C17 composite stack set
back at rear of main body. Later stacks with moulded cappings.
Pyramidal roof to game store.
Interior; originally comprised two rooms one above the other, the
lower room functioning as the hall, the upper room opening onto
the balcony. The rooms formerly communicated via a projecting
staircase at the north-west corner. The staircase continued
upwards to open out via a flat-roofed rectangular access turret
onto the roof (now demolished). The interior was divided into two
rooms and the upper floor into 3 during the alterations of 1898.
The present staircase was inserted in 1930s. On the back wall of
the hall were two fireplaces originally surmounted by shell
alcoves. The surround of the mid C17 fireplace remains but the
overmantel was replaced by a tympanum with the initials 'E.T.S'
(Emily Theresa, Lady Sherborne). Double width doorway right of
fireplace within stone surround with double bolection moulding with
moulded stops and keystone. Reveal above impost level carved to
give panelled appearance. Single 6-panel door. Small probably
late C19 stone fireplace with bolection moulding within left-hand
room. Similar fireplace in an upstairs bedroom. C17 moulded 4-
centred arched fireplace with moulded stops and spandrels with
raised panels at centre in north wall of upper left-hand room.
False ceiling. Subsidiary features; cast-iron railing and ashlar
walling. Walls; mid C17, railings probably C19. Railings run for
c6m either side of house, boundary subsequently continued as a wall
for c20m with intermediary rusticated piers. The wall then returns
forwards for c20m terminating in square, banded piers with moulded
cappings and ball finials. Similar piers flank openings at
corners. Two plank doors within surrounds with moulded architraves
in returns. (Property of the National Trust).
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979; and
Country Life, September 26 1963)
Listing NGR: SP1455312272
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.