If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary Magdalene, Adjoining Sherborne House
Date Listed: 26 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 130630
OS Grid Reference: SP1689414729
OS Grid Coordinates: 416894, 214729
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8309, -1.7562
Explore more of the area around Sherborne, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SHERBORNE SHERBORNE VILLAGE
9/192 Church of St. Mary Magdalene,
adjoining Sherborne House
Anglican parish church. Late C13-early C14 and mid C19. Nave
rebuilt possibly by Anthony Salvin (q.v. Sherborne House) for the
2nd Lord Sherborne and was completed by 1859. Ashlar, slate roof.
Plan; nave and chancel, tower at the south-west corner of the
nave. Vestry on south side of nave. Late C13-early C14. Three-
stage tower with moulded plinth and ribbed octagonal broach spire
with 4 lucarnes at base and towards apex. Facetted stair turret at
south-west corner. C19, double plank door with fillets within
pointed surround with stopped hood. Two small engaged columns
either side. Two-light window within a pointed surround with a
quatrefoil at top above. Tall 2-light belfry window with
quatrefoil and wooden louvres to third stage. Gable end of nave
left with flat-chamfered plinth. Deep band with blind quatrefoil
decoration and plain shields above plinth. Pointed 3-light window
with Decorated style tracery and hood with foliate stops. Large
blind quatrefoil within moulded circular surround towards apex of
gable. Set back buttresses with crocketed pinnacles at corners.
North wall; five 2-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights,
cinquefoils and hoods with foliate stops. Buttresses between
windows. C19 double door with fillets within moulded 'Tudor'-
arched surround with square hood and foliate stops towards right
end. Four-light window with Decorated style tracery. Diagonal
buttresses with crocketed pinnacles at corners. Flat-roofed vestry
and short corridor with pointed archways on one side, on south side
Church interior; two bays at west end form entrance. Pointed arch
with engaged C13 style columns at end of 8½ bay nave. Single bay
chancel with pointed arch with C13 style engaged columns and
moulded hood with foliate stops as at west end. C19 arch-braced
roof trusses with collars and V-struts, rising from corbels with
highly ornate foliate carving. Panelled roof to chancel and
entrance area at west end. Flag stone and parquet floor. Ornately
carved C19 octagonal font. C19 octagonal wood pulpit. C19 rood
screen in same style as pulpit. C19 choir stalls with foliate
carving. C20 communion rail with finely carved festoons of
flowers. Freestanding chairs in nave. Monuments; fine white and
grey marble monument by M. Rysbrack, dated 1749, to Sir John
Dutton, baronet died 1742, with full figure of man leaning on an
urn. Monument on wall opposite by Richard Westmacott the Elder
and dated 1791, to James and Jane Dutton, died 1776, in which a
life-sized angel leans on a medallion with profiles of the
deceased, underfoot a prostrate skeleton (representing death).
Trefoil-headed niche containing full figure of a woman holding a
cross commemorating James, first Lord Sherborne, died 1820, left of
chancel arch. White and grey marble, monument to Frances Mary,
Princess Bariatinsky, died 1807. Figures of two women and a child
above. Urn in background. Monuments on north wall of nave; fine
monument to John Dutton (q.v. Lodge Park), died 1657, by T. Burman,
comprising a shrouded upright effigy in white marble within a
round-headed niche flanked by black marble columns with Corinthian
capitals and scrolled pediment with the Sherborne arms at the
centre, above. Inscription plaques either side. Inscription to
John Dutton below. Monument on left to Thomas Dutton, died 1587,
William Dutton, died 1618, and Thomas Dutton, son of William, died
1610, comprising simple black marble plaque within white marble
surround. Monument on left Emily Theresa Sherborne, wife of
Edward, fourth Lord Sherborne (q.v. Lodge Park), and Edward Dutton,
fourth Lord Sherborne, died 1919. Monument to left to the
Honorable Charles Dutton, died 1909. Further monuments to members
of the Dutton family on the south wall of the nave, notably a white
and black marble monument to William Napier, third son of James
Dutton, died 1791, signed by J. Bacon, with urn and bird plucking
its feathers. C18 ledger in sanctuary, three C18 ledgers at west
end of church. C19 stained glass in windows at east and west ends.
Gilded hanging electric light fittings of foliate design. Church
most notable for its finely executed monuments.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979; and
R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1660-1851; V.C.H.
Gloucestershire, Vol VI p 120)
Listing NGR: SP1689414729
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.