If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 26 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 130853
OS Grid Reference: SP2089112760
OS Grid Coordinates: 420891, 212760
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8131, -1.6983
Explore more of the area around Barrington, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
BARRINGTON MIDDLE ROAD,
Little Barrington Village
11/120 Church of St Peter
Anglican parish church. Late C12, C14 and C15. Coursed squared
and dressed limestone. Stone slate roof. Nave with projecting
south porch, and north aisle, tower at the west end of the north
aisle, chancel at the east end of the nave. Nave largely rebuilt
C14; diagonal buttresses, one 2-light and one 3-light rectangular
stone-mullioned window, both with ogee and casement mouldings and
stopped hoods. Scroll-ended stops over the left-hand window, the
right-hand stop contains the initials 'P.M'. C20 double plank
doors within a late C12 round-headed archway (probably restored).
The inner arch is supported by keeled jamb shafts with stiff leaf
capitals with finely carved decoration. The outer arches are
deeply cut with chevron and lozenge ornament. Hoodmould with
dogtooth decoration broken at the centre by a small monstrous head.
Blocked 4-centred arched doorway with roll and casement-moulded
surround and stopped hood in the west gable end. Two-light pointed
window above with moulded central mullion and transom, casement
moulded surround and stopped hood. The windows in the south and
west walls of the nave are probably C15 in date. C14 chancel
(restored C19); diagonal buttresses. Two 2-light pointed windows
with cinquefoil-headed lights on the north side. Two-light east
window with ogee and casements mouldings and a quatrefoil at the
top. Two 2-light stone-mullioned windows on the north side, one
with a stopped hood (now blocked), one with ogee-curved trefoil
heads to each light and carved spandrels. Pointed-arched priest's
doorway (now blocked) with a roll-moulded surround and a stopped
hood. East window and windows in the north wall probably C15.
North aisle; two 2-light stone-mullioned casements. The left-hand
casement has a hollow-chamfered mullion, trefoil-headed lights,
spandrels carved out to form small lights and stopped hood. The
right-hand window has cinquefoil-headed lights, ogee and casement
mouldings and a stopped hood with scroll stops. Both windows
probably C15. Former tympanum to north doorway to right of the
latter. The tympanum depicts Christ in Majesty flanked by two
winged angels, in bold relief. Three-stage C14 tower with simple
flat-chamfered single lights in the side walls. Two-light belfry
windows with trefoil heads, stone-slate louvres and stopped hoods.
Battlemented parapet. Early C18 gabled south porch with C19
studded plank door with decorative strap hinges within a flat-
chamfered pointed surround with stopped hood. Most of the east
wall comprises an early C18 monument in memory of the Tayler
family. The monument comprises a rectangular inscription plaque
with a single carved head at the top, flanked by the full length
figures of two men and two women. Two small inscription plaques
with moulded margins but with no legible inscription either side of
the figures. Roof; stepped coping at the gable ends of the nave,
chancel and porch. C14 sanctus bellcote at the east end of the
nave. Upright finial at the west end with crenellated parapet and
a pyramidal capping.
Interior; nave arcade of two round arches on cylindrical piers
with scalloped capitals. The arches are double-chamfered with
ogee-curved stops. Pointed chancel arch rising from projecting
moulded imposts, themselves supported by tall moulded stone
brackets. Flat-chamfered pointed archway from the west end of the
north aisle to the tower. Early wagon roofs to nave and chancel.
C19 roof with collar with king post to the south aisle. Flag
floor. Squint left of the chancel arch with central flat-chamfered
stone mullion possibly inserted at a later date. Piscina rebated
for an outer door in the south wall of the chancel. Brattishing
(possibly reused) incorporated in the sill of the left-hand window
in the nave south wall. Early carved stone head (possibly once a
corbel) set in the splay of the right-hand window. Two niches (one
double, one single) at the east end of the north aisle. Traces of
red paint on the latter niche. Painted C17 scrolled text on the
north wall of the north aisle. Two decalogue boards either side
of the chancel east window. Fixtures and fittings; C15 octagonal
limestone font at the west end of the north aisle. C19-early C20
pews and pulpit. Early Cl8 communion table with turned legs.
Monuments; chancel south wall; grey and white marble monument to
Giles Greenway, died 1815 and Jane Greenway, died 1819 (q.v.
Barrington Grove) by Wood of Gloucester. Monument to the John
Grayhurst, died 1730 and Sarah his wife, died 1739; marble with a
round-headed inscription plaque with moulded imposts and moulded
keystone flanked by engaged columns with Corinthian capitals, high-
lighted in gold leaf, supporting a swan-necked pediment. White on
black marble monument to Charles Greenway of Barrington Grove and
of Upton Priory, died 1859 and of Charlotte his wife, died 1873, by
Lewis of Cheltemnham. C19 stained glass in the chancel. Some C14
stained glass in the east window of the north aisle.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds; and
V.C.H., Vol VI p 26)
Listing NGR: SP2089012758
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.