If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 25 August 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 130927
OS Grid Reference: SP2139022626
OS Grid Coordinates: 421390, 222626
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9018, -1.6905
Explore more of the area around Icomb, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
ICOMB ICOMB VILLAGE
SP 22 SW
2/194 Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. Early English, tower c1600. Restored
1871 by W.J. Hopkins. Nave; coursed squared and dressed
limestone. Chancel and south transept; limestone rubble. The
nave, chancel and transept are built from a mixture of orange and
cream-coloured limestone. Nave north wall built predominantly
from orange coloured limestone. Tower; coursed squared and
finely dressed cream-coloured limestone. Stone slate roof.
Plan; nave with small lean-to on the north, south transept,
chancel and west tower. Early English nave; south wall (probably
restored C19); 2-light stone-mullioned casement with a stopped
hood. Porch projects forwards to the right. Nave north wall;
flat-chamfered plinth and two buttresses. Narrow flat-chamfered
round-headed doorway with a stopped hood. Two 2-light stone-
mullioned casements. C15 south transept; 2-light Perpendicular
window with cinquefoil heads to each light, tracery and stopped
hood in the gable end. Small squint with carved spandrels cut out
of a single stone block below. Lancet window with stopped hood to
the left-hand return. Two-light window with cinquefoil headed
lights, quatrefoils at the top, casement moulded surround and a
hood with square-ended stops to the right-hand return. Eroded
monument, probably C17 in date, set into wall to the right of the
latter. Early English chancel with angle buttresses and single
central buttress at the west end . Three lancet windows with
stopped hoods to the north and south walls. C19 plank priest's
door within a flat-chamfered pointed surround with a stopped hood
to the south wall. Triple, graded lancet at the east end with
continuous hood. Dogtooth gable eaves cornice. Three-stage west
tower with gabled roof. Two-light stone-mullioned casement with
stopped hood to the ground floor at the west end. Single window
with flat-chamfered surround above. Similar belfry windows on the
north and south sides. Two-light window to the west facing gable.
Lean-to stairs projection to height of the second stage on the
south side. String between the second and third stages.
Parapet with moulded coping and string on the north and south
sides. Coping continued up the gables. Restored Early English
buttressed porch with pointed double-chamfered entrance with
engaged columns with moulded capitals. Unglazed 2-light window in
the west wall with pointed flat-chamfered openings divided by two
freestanding limestone columns. Stone bench seats along the
inside walls of the porch. Coloured tile floor. C19 or early
C20 roof. C19 double plank doorway to nave within an Early
English surround with keel-moulding, freestanding jamb shafts with
floriated capitals. Roof; stepped coping with upright cross
finials on roll-cross saddles at gable ends.
Church interior; plastered interior. Nave with passage to south
transept/chapel, tower at west end of nave, chancel. Pointed C19
panelled roof to nave, similar panelled roof to the south transept.
Four-bay chancel with arch-braced collar-beam trusses and raking
struts. Low pointed archway with roll and casement mouldings to
the tower base. Restored C19 chancel arch of two flat-chamfered
orders. Blocked entrance to roof loft upper right. Elaborate C13
arch to the south transept with roll mouldings and clustered
shafts. Flat-chamfered Tudor-arch to the right leading to a
similar archway in the west wall of the south transept. Coloured
tile flooring incorporating encaustic tiling in the south transept
and chancel. C13 cinquefoil-headed piscina in the east wall.
Blocked flat-chamfered pointed image niche to the left of the east
window. Nave; moulded string below the windows. Rere-arches to
nave windows. C13 piscina with two trefoil-headed openings, one
with a bowl the other functioning as the Credence shelf in the
south wall. Fixtures and fittings; Perpendicular octagonal font
with quatrefoils on each face inside the south door. C19 pews and
choir stalls. Pulpit 1810. Monuments; monument to John Blaket,
died 1431, at south end of south transept. Stone moulded and
cusped arch, rests on a chest tomb with seven canopied and
buttressed niches containing sculptures of the Trinity, and various
other figures. Grey marble monument to William Cope and Elizabeth
his wife, daughter of Sir Fancis Fane of Westmorland, to the right
of the latter. She died 1669, he died 1691, (q.v. Icomb Place).
Broken segmental-headed pediment with a heraldic shield at the top.
Herald devices at the top of the marginal panels also. Small
Coade stone monument to John Cambray, died 1829, to the right with
urn at top and unusually finely executed foliate marginal panels
flanked by stylized brackets. Stained glass east window by
Powell, c1900. East window in the south chapel by Geoffrey Webb,
(VCH, Worcs. Vol III, p 412 and David Verey, The Buildings of
England; The Cotswolds, 1979) -
Listing NGR: SP2138922627
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.