If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 26 January 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 131157
OS Grid Reference: SP0874309688
OS Grid Coordinates: 408743, 209688
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7858, -1.8746
Explore more of the area around Coln St Dennis, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
COLN ST DENNIS COLN ROGERS
15/133 Church of St Andrew
Anglican parish church. C11, C12, C13. Late Perpendicular.
Limestone rubble with dressed stone quoins; some squared and
dressed limestone at the east end of the chancel; stone slate roof.
Nave with projecting south porch and west tower incorporated within
the west end; chancel. C11 nave with simple plinth and long and
short quoins except at the north-east corner. Nave south wall;
stepped base to lowest quoin stone at the south-east corner; single
simple pilaster with C11 mass dial; restored. 3-light pointed C15
window with tracery to the right of the pilaster; pointed 2-light
window with quatrefoil and hood with small beasts head stops to the
left of the pilaster; C19 plank door within the porch to the left
of the latter, within an early C12 surround with engaged nook-
shafts with scalloped capitals and a plain segmental tympanum; C13
trefoil-headed lancet to the left of the porch. Single lancet at
the west gable end. Nave north wall; single simple pilaster with
stepped base; C15 pointed 2-light window with cinquefoil-headed
lights and quatrefoil left of the latter; C19 two-light pointed
window matching that on the south to the right; blocked north
doorway with a late C13 outer face with keeled jamb shafts and a
cinquefoil-headed arch with a heavy roll moulding (marking the
position of a C11 doorway - see interior). C11 chancel rebuilt at
the east end with plain plinth; single plan pilaster on the north
wall; small round-headed window cut out of a single stone slab to
the left; 3-light Perpendicular east window with stepped hood; two
C19 lancet windows to the south wall flanking a C19 plank door with
decorative C19 hinges within a C13 basket-headed surround; traces
of a C11 pilaster above the doorway. Late Perpendicular 2-stage
tower above the west end with single lancet to lower stage on the
west side and pointed 2-light belfry windows; string between the
two stages interrupted by C19 clock on the west side. Late
Perpendicular porch with a pointed-arched entrance with flat-
chamfered imposts. Church roof: flat coping to gable ends; C19
Maltese cross finial at the east end of the chancel; C19 panelled
roof within porch.
Church interior: plastered with 6-bay nave and 2-bay chancel. C19
panelled wagon roofs to both; flagged floor to nave and chancel;
coloured tile and encaustic tile to sanctuary. Tall, probably C11,
round-headed archway with imposts at the rear of the south door.
C12 round-headed chancel arch with flat-chamfered imposts with
pellet decoration. C19 organ gallery obscures probably C19 tower
arch. Recess (with open-sided recess above) for C19 store in north
wall of nave. Probably Perpendicular segmental-headed recess in
the north wall with a casement-moulded surround with one carved-
head stop is probably a tomb recess, or may be an Easter sepulchre.
Early C12 tub font with a scalloped base, scraped and refaced 19
inside the south door. C19 pews, lectern, communion rail and altar
table. Medieval oak chest at the east end of the nave. C15 five-
sided stone pulpit with moulded panels. Monuments: neo-Greek white
marble monument to Richard Millington, died 1765 and Jeremiah
Millington, died 1796 on the south wall of the chancel by R. Cooke
of London; segmental-headed monument to Thomas Hunt of Burford,
died 1807 with two urn finials on the north wall. White marble
monument to John Millington, died 1817 to the right. Three C19
stained glass windows in the chancel; east window possibly by
Hardman. Fragments of C15 glass, including a figure of St.
Margaret in the nave.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The
Cotswolds; Taylor and Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, P168-170).
Listing NGR: SP0873909685
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.