British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of the Holy Rood, Daglingworth

Description: Church of the Holy Rood

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 November 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 131182

OS Grid Reference: SO9933904983
OS Grid Coordinates: 399339, 204983
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7436, -2.0110

Location: Dowers Lane, Daglingworth, Gloucestershire GL7 7AG

Locality: Daglingworth
Local Authority: Cotswold District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL7 7AG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Daglingworth, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SO 9904
18/158 Church of the Holy Rood


Anglican parish church. C11 and C15, heavily restored 1845-50.
Nave and south porch: limestone rubble with dressed stone quoins.
Chancel, north aisle and vestry: coursed squared and dressed
limestone. Tower: ashlar. Stone slate roof with a coursed
squared and dressed limestone stack. Nave with south porch, north
aisle and west tower, chancel, C11 nave with long and short work
rebated to give the appearance of a pilaster, at each corner
(except the north west). Nave south wall (from left to right:
small narrow round-head window (probably C12) now blocked; C19
pointed 2-light window with quatrefoil and moulded hood. Narrow
C11 round-headed doorway within porch with imposts with cable
decoration; C11 mass dial with raised circular margin above the
door. C15 studded door with fillets; early strap hinges and blind
tracery with foliate decoration at the top. Possibly C15 pointed
2-light window with hollow-chamfered mullion to the right of the
porch. C19 chancel with reused C11 long and short work (rebated to
resemble pilasters) at the east end. Blocked pointed-arched
priest's door to the south wall; pointed 2-light stone-mullioned
window with a quatrefoil and scroll-moulded hood with foliate stops
to the right. Pointed 3-light east window with tracery and scroll-
moulded hood with stops in the form of angels. C19 vestry:
rectangular Roman votive stone reused C11-C12 as window, with two
small round-headed lights with rebated surrounds (formerly at the
east end of the chancel). C19 north aisle with clasping and side
buttresses; 3 pointed windows with deeply rebated surrounds;
single similar window at the west end. C15 two stage tower with
diagonal buttresses and a moulded plinth: 2-light pointed window
with a hollow-chamfered mullion quatrefoil and moulded hood with
square stops on the west; narrow flat-chamfered Tudor-arched
doorway up 2 stone steps on the south; 2-light pointed belfry
windows with quatrefoils, stone slate louvres and moulded hoods
with large head stops; moulded string between stages and below the
battlemented parapet. C15 gabled porch with early plank door with
strap hinges within a round-headed surround with large dressed
stone jambs and imposts; sundial with two faces towards the apex
of the gable; Porch interior: C19 roof dated and initialled 'I. G
/ 1844'; C19 stone bench seats; flagstone floor with four brass
plaques (from left to right to Elizabeth Hinton died 1826; Giles
Hancock, died 1684 with rhyming verse; plaque to Jane Roberts
died 1826 below; plaque recording a benefaction to the poor by
'Giles Handcox' dated 1638, decorated with stylized rose branches.
Plastered interior: 3-bay nave arcade. Heavily restored round-
headed chancel arch with imposts with pellet decoration. Pointed
C15 casement-moulded tower arch. North aisle divided by a C19
round-headed arch. The western end of the nave retains a single
early roof truss with a braced collar beam; roughly hewn common
rafters either side of this truss, double purlins. The remainder
of the nave has a C19 roof with braced collar beams to each rafter;
a single purlin and a collar purlin. C19 roof to north aisle; C19
wagon roof to the chancel. Flagged floor throughout. Small C12
altar with a pair of C12 shafts with cushion capitals and bases
(found during the removal of a priest's upper chamber formerly at
the west end of the nave, during the restoration of 1845) now reset
in the north wall of the chancel. C19 semi-circular headed piscina
in the south wall of the chancel. Four C11 carved stone slabs
(formerly built into the chancel arch) decorated with figures
carved in relief in the Syrian tradition, reset in the walls of the
nave and north aisle, those on the east wall of the nave above the
pulpit and that to the right of the south door depict Christ
crucified. The other two stones are reset in the north wall of the
north aisle and represent St Peter and Our Lord enthroned
respectively. Furniture and fittings: C15 octagonal font with
quatrefoil, four-leafed flower and Tudor rose decoration, inside
the south door; C19 pews, reading desk and pulpit; C18 communion
rail with simple turned balusters. C19 wooden communion table.
Monuments on south wall of nave from left to right: monument
erected by Mary Webb in 1731 to members of the King and Webb
families with highly ornate oval surround decorated with cherubs,
fruit and flowers and drapery with four skulls at the bottom and
four cherubs' heads and a flaming grail at the top. This monument
was formerly highlighted in gold and black paint; monument to the
right to Giles Haynes, died 1743 and Sarah his wife, died 1751 with
grey painted marbled decoration and a broken pediment containing a
painted heraldic shield; small white and grey marble monument over
the south door to Thomas Hancock, died 1761 and Elizabeth his wife,
died 1774 with urn in relief; white on grey marble monument to the
right of the latter to Giles Haines, died 1805 and other members of
that family, with reeded marginal panels and decorated entablature.
The upper part of the monument is decorated with foliate decoration
and three engaged urn finials; white on grey marble (by Mills of
Cirencester) monument to the right of the latter to Edmund Hinton
died 1773 and Ann his wife died 1758 with a single engaged urn and
scrollwork decoration by Franklin of Cirencester; white on grey
marble monument to the right of the latter to John Haines, died
1771 and other members of that family with fluted marginal panels
and three engaged urn finials by Mills of Cirencester. Nave north
wall: simple C18 monument at the west end to members of the
Ashmead family with scrollwork decoration at the top and hanging
bellflower decoration down the sides; monument towards the west
end of the nave to Jeremiah Hancock of London, died 1730 with
inscription in gold and a double scroll and foliate decoration at
the top. Stained glass: C15 fragment depicting the Prince of
Wales's feathers in the tracery of the west window. C19 stained
glass figures in the east window are reset in clear glass.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979; and
Taylor and Taylor: Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1980)

Listing NGR: SO9933804989

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.