British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, North Cerney

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 November 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 131231

OS Grid Reference: SP0185607789
OS Grid Coordinates: 401856, 207789
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7688, -1.9745

Location: A435, North Cerney, Gloucestershire GL7 7BZ

Locality: North Cerney
Local Authority: Cotswold District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL7 7BZ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around North Cerney, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP01 075 -
02 075
16/208 Church of All Saints


Anglican parish church. Early C12; englarged c1200; mid C14; late
C15; early-mid C18; restored late C19 by Waller. Nave north wall:
lower half of wall ashlar, random limestone rubble above. South
wall: pebble-dashed but with exposed ashlar.quoins, Chancel:
random limestone rubble with ashlar quoins. South chapel and north
transept: ashlar. Tower: lower two stages random roughly squared
and dressed limestone with dressed stone quoins; upper stage
coursed squared and dressed limestone. Porch: limestone rubble
with dressed stone quoins. Shallow pitched leaded roof to the
nave, roofing otherwise stone slate with a single ashlar stack.
Plan: Nave with north and south chapels at right angles; vestry on
the west of the north chapel; chancel and west tower. C12 nave
largely rebuilt after fire 1465-1470. Nave south wall high flat-
chamfered plinth: tall C18 three-light window with round-headed
lights with carved spandrels; early C20 plank door up 12 stone
steps, within a Tudor-arched surround to C18 gallery (see
interior). C15 studded plank door within fillets, strap hinges,
blind tracery, early lock and closing ring attachments within
porch. C12 surround with jamb shafts with scalloped capitals
supporting a roll-moulded arch with imposts and a recessed tympanum
with diapered decoration; chevroned decoration to the outer margin.
The diapered decoration to the lintel includes four small human
heads. Three-light window to the right of the porch matching that
to the left. Late C15 Lady Chapel with flat-chamfered plinth:
pointed 4-light Perpendicular south window with stopped hood;
projecting base possibly for a stoup or a small statue, lower left:
probably C16 incised outline of a Manticore (a beast with a man's
head and lions hind quarters) lower right; square stone sundial
above window. Three-light east window with a rectangular surround
and mullions with stepped mouldings. Nave north wall with moulded
plinth and three buttresses with offsets: single pointed 3-light
Perpendicular window with a stopped hood; double studded door with
a moulded surround and a stopped hood. C15 battlemented parapet on
both sides of, and at the east end, of the nave; string below the
parapet with fine gargoyles including two muzzled bears; crocketed
finials at the south-east and north-east corners. Late C15 north
chapel moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses: 3-light
Perpendicular north window with stopped hood. C19 lean-to vestry
with rectangular 3-light north window with quatrefoils at the top.
Three-stage tower: lower 2 stages C12 with clasping buttresses
(south-west buttress containing newel stair added C15);
Transitional upper stage. The first floor stage of the north and
south walls retain single narrow C12 windows one with a round head
and a relieving arch, one with a flat-chamfered segmental head and
rebated surround. Possibly C16 two-light west window with hollow-
moulded 4-centred arched heads to each light, carved spandrels and
hood with crudely carved stops; to the ground floor stage. Single
lancet to the stage above. Reused corbel head between the two
stages. Incised leopard on the west face of the stairs projection,
in the same style as and probably contemporary with the Manticore
on the south chapel (q.v.). Transitional belfry stage with tall
paired lancets with stone slate louvres and engaged jamb shafts;
single central shaft rises up to a lintel with carved head corbels
and moulded corbels on the east and west. The upper parts of the
windows on the north and south sides were removed late C15 due to
fire. Flat-chamfered string below the belfry windows. Projecting
gabled C14 porch with hanging slate to the gable; double doors
with open timber work; monument to William Croome, died 1886 on
the right-hand return. C14 wagon roof (formerly plastered). Stone
flag floor with stone bench seats; one large early grave slab and
two smaller fragments of grave slabs on the seats. Stepped coping
to the chancel, tower, north and south chapels. Upright cross
finials; roll cross saddles, lead guttering and downpipes dated
variously 1936, 1940 and 1959. Guttering over the William Croome
monument decorated with vine scroll, dated and initialled 'W.I.C.
Plastered interior: 5 bay nave with a C15 coffered oak ceiling
with moulded and cambered tie beams each with a short king post and
two short struts; wall posts with pierced brackets, some supported
on fine large C15 carved head corbels. Carved and painted bosses
at the panel intersections of the easternmost bay. Coffered wagon
roof to the south chapel (possibly C15), early C20 coffered wagon.
roof to the north chapel: both roofs with carved bosses at the
intersections of the panels. Plastered barrel vault to the
chancel. Restored round-headed chancel arch of c1180-90 with two
engaged keel-moulded piers with Transitional capitals either side;
a large keel moulding is continued over the whole archway. Three-
light stone-mullioned window (now blocked) with Tudor-headed lights
over the chancel arch (above rood). Tall almost identical 4-
centred archways with engaged piers and casement-moulded surrounds
to the north and south chapels, lower matching arch opened to the
left of the entrance to the south chapel, 1880 opening into a small
organ chamber with sacristy below. Squint from north chapel to
chancel. Passage squint and flat-chamfered Tudor-arched doorway to
stairs to the rood loft from the south transept. C19 piscina in
the south-east corner of the south chapel. Rood loft (1925) and
screen to the south chapel (1914) in C15 style by F.C. Eden (q.v.
lych gate). C16 Italian figure of Christ on the rood screen. C20
panelled screen with Jacobean style overthrow between the nave and
chancel. Gallery built in 1754 at the west end of the nave with
fielded panelling with painted marbling. Fixtures and fittings;
late C15 octagonal font inside the north door. Stone chalice-
shaped pulpit of c1480 left of the chancel arch, cut from a single
stone block with blind tracery and crocketing. The three bands of
lily pattern suggest the font may be by Burford masons. Restored
wooden reading desk with carved panels one initialled and dated
'W.C. 1631', three with carved heads right of the chancel arch.
Flemish brass eagle lectern of c1450 on a C15 Spanish steel stand.
Wooden altar table with turned legs within the north chapel (first
used in the chancel in 1634). C19 stone altar table within the
south chapel with three C15 statues on the reredos. Chancel
sanctuary: turned oak communion rails made 1734; Medieval stone
altar slab on a later stone base; painted reredos by F.C. Eden,
1924; C17 carved oak chair; two early wooden chests, one with
linenfold panelling, the other with sunflower decoration. Central
early C18 chased brass chandelier at the crossing. Monuments: C12
grave slab with foliated cross (found in nave) reused in the nave
north wall; two early reused carved beast's head corbels, reused
from the upper stage of the tower either side; C12 shaft (probably
from a small belfry window on the sill of the window to the right
of the latter features. Remains of C14 rector's tomb with one
crocketed pinnacle in the north wall of the chancel. Two C19 grey
and white marble monuments also in the chancel, one by Malard and
Cooke of Gloucester. Monuments on the walls of the Lady Chapel:
oval monument to Thomas Tyndale, died 1783, with classical mourning
figure in white marble by J.C.F. Rossi; Monument to Thomas Rich,
died 1703/4, with cherubs and painted heraldry; Baroque tablet to
Thomas Rich, Master in Chancery, died 1647. Various other C19
white and grey marble monuments. Fine classical style monument to
Richard Painter and Joyce, his wife, he died 1749, she died 1757,
with two fluted pilasters below an entablature with three flaming
urns at the top. The whole is decorated with painted marbling.
Early C19 limestone monument to other members of the Painter family
on the east side of the north chapel. Late C15 east window to Lady
Chapel depicting the Virgin standing between two bishops, by the
Bristol School of Glass; C19 heraldic glass in the south window.
Two C15 stained glass windows to the north chapel: north window as
a memorial to Rector William Whitchurch (instituted 1464) depicting
three figures with the Virgin and child at the centre. The east
window depicts the crucifixion flanked by single figures. Late C18
or early C19 figure of St. Nicholas.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England, The Cotswolds, 1979 and
V.C.H. Glos, Vol VII, P.160-162).

Listing NGR: SP0185307789

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.