Accommodation bridge over canal. Constructed circa 1779 and widened in about 1833, by the Stroudwater Canal Company.
Reason for Listing
Ryeford Bridge is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Historic interest: as a late-C18 structure on the Stroudwater Canal and for its widening in the early C19 which provides evidence for its historical development
Group value: it forms a strong group with other canal-related buildings that are listed and also with the Grade II listed Ryeford House to the north-west
The Stroudwater Navigation, built in 1775-9, was designed to link the River Severn at Framilode to Stroud, allowing coal to be brought from Shropshire, Staffordshire and the Forest of Dean to the textile mills of the Stroud valleys. The Thames and Severn Canal, constructed in 1783-9, was designed to run eastwards from Stroud, eventually linking the River Severn to the River Thames at Inglesham, near Lechlade. The Cotswold Canals, as they are also known, were generally successful, though the Thames and Severn in particular suffered serious technical failings which compromised its profitability; despite this, both canals continued in use well into the C20.
Ryeford Bridge was constructed in circa 1779 by the Stroudwater Canal Company. It is situated on a historic route running north to south between Stonehouse and Kings Stanley. In 1833 the Canal Company widened the canal bridge following difficulties experienced by vehicle traffic due to the narrowness of both the bridge and the adjacent lane.
MATERIALS: it is built mostly handmade red bricks, with coursed and dressed limestone to the west face.
DESCRIPTION: this is a single-span bridge with a semi-circular arched opening. The west side is of coursed limestone up to the inclined stone band, above which is a brick parapet with plain stone coping that appears to have been rebuilt in the second half of the C20. The opposing face is of brick with a flush keystone that cuts through the projecting drip mould, and a brick parapet. The underside of the structure, where the different phases of construction are clearly visible, is also of brick. The wing walls are gently curved and terminate in plain pilasters surmounted by pyramidal caps.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.