Church of St Kenelm, Alderley
Description: Church of St Kenelm
Date Listed: 9 September 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 132152
OS Grid Reference: ST7685090802
OS Grid Coordinates: 376850, 190802
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6156, -2.3357
Location: Alderley Road, Alderley, Gloucestershire GL12 7QT
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
ST 79 SE ALDERLEY ALDERLEY VILLAGE
8/7 Church of St. Kenelm
Anglican parish church. Medieval foundation, with north west tower
of c1450 and rest rebuilt c1802. Coursed and dressed rubble stone
on plinth with quoins, stone cornice and embattled parapet, slate
roof. Single large nave with projecting apsidal chancel, north
west tower and adjoining south west bay. 3 bays, central bay
blind to south, with 3-light multi-cusped lancets and mouchettes
in Gothick style. 4-light east window. Tower of 3 stages with off-
sets and stepped diagonal buttresses, clock face to north, louvred
2-light belfry openings to north and west, pinnacle in north east
corner. Door on west side with large pointed arch, moulded and
stopped, and 3-light ogee window over.
Interior: sexpartite plaster rib vault over nave. C19 fittings,
including white marble font of 1820. Fine collection of marble
wall monuments, including many to Hale family. Porch inside tower
has medieval tierceron vault with carved angel and grotesque
corbels and bosses. (David Verey, Buildings of England,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).
Listing NGR: ST7685090802
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.