British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Mansion, Bisley-with-Lypiatt

Description: Mansion

Grade: I
Date Listed: 28 June 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 132653

OS Grid Reference: SO8858705852
OS Grid Coordinates: 388587, 205852
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7512, -2.1667

Location: Bisley, Gloucestershire GL6 7LL

Locality: Bisley-with-Lypiatt
Local Authority: Stroud District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL6 7LL

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


4/94 Mansion
(previously listed as Lypiatt Park)



Large country house. Mid C16. Alterations and additions 1809-1815
by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville for Sir Paul Baghott; minor alterations
c1841 by Samuel Daukes for Samuel Baker; further additions 1876-77
by T.H. Wyatt for Sir John Dorington. Ashlar limestone; ashlar
chimneys; stone slate roof. East-west range, 2-storey with attic;
2-storey south east wing to form L-plan. Various 2 and 3-storey
additions at north end and single-storey cloister linking with
chapel (q.v.). North front: mostly C16 house with crenellated
parapet added by Wyatville. From east to west, 2-storey canted
bay window with round arched mullioned casements and crenellated
parapet. Moulded 3-centred arched doorway with 3-light casement
above having trefoil-headed lights; single-light in crow-stepped
gable above topped by diagonal-set chimney. Former 2-storey porch
removed in C20. Double height crenellated hall bay window to right
rebuilt by Wyatville. Two attic dormers with shaped barge boards
set back behind parapet. Two-window fenestration in higher part of
front to right is C19, mullioned and transomed with mullioned
casements to upper floor, all with trefoil heads. Three-storey
tower at west end with machicolated parapet and small circular
stair turret is part of Wyatville's alterations; trefoil-headed
mullioned and transomed casements to front, C13 style pointed
windows and doorway on east side. Perpendicular tracery to 3 large
windows in cloister projecting forward to right; at outer-ends a
4-centred moulded doorway with shields in carved panel above. East
front: parapet gable end of north range to right with single-
window fenestration, mullioned and transomed to ground and upper
floors, 2-light to attic, all ovolo moulded with hoodmoulds. Wing
to left is Wyatville's addition, each main room forming large
square block projection to elevation, lower linking machicolated
parapet between. Large canted bay window with coloured glass and
quatrefoil tracery to ground floor of each of the 2 blocks; tall
Perpendicular-traceried window above each. C13 style lancets to
recessed linking parts of elevation, that to right in form of tall
narrow stair window. Range extended to left by T.H. Wyatt. South
side: asymmetrical end block to south east wing by T.H. Wyatt has
pointed arched doorway to left, flanked by offset buttresses and
has roundel above inscribed KD CHD1877; Decorated-traceried
window above; canted Perpendicular-traceried bay window to right.
Square 2-storey bay on west side of Wyatt's addition. West side of
remainder of wing is Wyatville's symmetrical elevation with central
2-storey canted bay, richly traceried and panelled; 2 slender
offset buttresses with crocketed pinnacle tops and outer pointed
windows, the whole finished with panelled crenellated parapet. One
and a half parapet gables of main C16 range remain unobscured by
additions to left, this wall rebuilt c1700 when ancient hall
enlarged, reusing mullioned and transomed hall windows with round-
arched lights. Plainish cross-gabled 2-storey addition with attic
to left has octagonal turret to section linking with 3-storey
service block in south west corner, the latter a Wyatt addition.
Interior: much of house has simple white-painted stone or plaster
walls acting as backdrop to sculpture by present owner, Mr. Lynn
Chadwick. Rooms at east end of original house have extensive
panelling, that on upper floor with unorthodox classical doorcase
with 2 superimposed Ionic pilaster orders; this said to be room
used by hatchers of the Gunpowder Plot, one of whom, John
Thockmorton, was Lord of Over Lypiatt Manor at that time.
Wyatville rooms have panelled ceilings with oak leaf bosses;
several with good Gothick style fireplaces. Doorcases are mix of
Regency reeded type and Gothick. Staircase in Gothick style has
upper floor landing having view through tracery into double-height
corridor of south east wing. Present house is most noted for
picturesque Gothick additions by Wyatville and sensitive further
additions by T.H. Wyatt. Stands on excellent hill top site
overlooking the deep Lypiatt and Toadsmoor valleys. Many
associated outbuildings including chapel, granary, dovecote,
stables and castellated garden terrace wall (all q.v.).
(Articles in Country Life, 1st December 1900 and 9th July 1964;
N.M. Herbert, 'Stroud' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 99-145; N.
Kingsley, notes for forthcoming book, n.d.; M.A. Rudd, Historical
Records of Bisley with Lyoiatt, 1937; and D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8858705852

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.