If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Frocester Court, Frocester

Description: Frocester Court

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 10 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 132903

OS Grid Reference: SO7873502930
OS Grid Coordinates: 378735, 202930
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7247, -2.3092

Location: Frocester Hill, Frocester, Gloucestershire GL10 3TN

Locality: Frocester
Local Authority: Stroud District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL10 3TN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Frocester, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SO 7802 FROCESTER COURT ROAD
(south end)

9/109 Frocester Court
(previously listed with
10.1.55 Tithe Barn)

GV II*

Former monastic court house, now detached house. Late C15 with
early C16 wing. Major late C16 enlargement. Reduced in size mid-
late C18. Early C19 refacing. Ashlar, coursed and random rubble
limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Four-bay hall with
2-bay side wing. Long additional wings forming L-plan. Two storey
with attic. Outbuilding ranges to rear. South west front: roughly
central 2-storey gabled porch with Tudor style moulded doorway
having panelled entablature over; mullioned and transomed upper
floor casement. Two upper floor and one ground floor 2-light
casements to left in wall with some early masonry, possibly rebuilt
when projecting wing demolished. Inserted mullioned and transomed
casement to left flanked by narrow offset buttresses. Projecting
gable end of hall range to right, probably refaced early Cl9 with
large mullioned and transomed casement to ground and upper floors,
both with hood moulds. Three ridge-mounted diagonal-set chimney
stacks to left. South east side: parapet gable end of short early
C16 wing to left, largely refaced early C19, has single-window
fenestration, tall 2-light to ground floor, 2-light above, both
recessed chamfered with hood moulds. Small blocked window
(possibly stair light) to left. Many indications of alterations to
wing on north east return wall, projecting chimney stack probably
removed. Main range to right of 3 builds. From left to right:
early C16 refacing of C15 hall, later C16 addition with 2 and 3-
light casements, upper floor rebuilt at later date, and C18 former
dairy beyond original gable end-mounted chimney with paired
diagonal shafts. Double plank doors and timber lintel with
bricked-up opening above; 2 flanking reset quatrefoil vents.
Single-window fenestration and small gabled late Cl8 closet
projection to right with 2-light south east facing casement. North
west end: early C19 refaced parapet gable end with slightly later
2-storey canted bay window having crenellated top, extended down
into cellar area with 2 trefoil-headed windows. Rear: part to left
has catslide roof over early Cl9 pentice with chamfered stone
piers. Part of late C16 addition at centre retains original 2-
light mullioned casements. Range extended to right with C15 or
early C16 projecting chimney stack, possibly for separate building,
incorporated during late C16 enlargement. Many attached
outbuildings, mostly C18 or early Cl9 with coped gables and groups
of diagonal-shafted projecting chimney stacks. One part is cart
shed with loft, attached to low single-storey range.
Interior: much timber framing of 4-bay hall discovered in recent
investigations, 3 roof trusses being of original late C15 date (2
visible in open roof to principal upper floor room) with arched
wind bracing. Large stone fireplace on ground floor reduced in
size by inserted C19 Tudor style fireplace with well-detailed
carving. Framed smoke bay at north west end. More elaborate 2-
tier inverted bracing to roof of short south east side wing. Two
carved and reset oak panels said to represent George Huntley - the
post-Dissolution owner - and his wife. C18 internal privy closet
at end of wing approached by corridor with waiting room. The
earliest structure represents a monastic court house with later
steward's wing. Greatly enlarged after the Dissolution, two wings
enclosing a courtyard on south west side were both demolished by
1784.
(Article in Country Life, 20th May 1905. N.M. Herbert, 'Frocester'
in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp. 170-178; E.G. Price, 'Survivals of the
Medieval Monastic Estate of Frocester' in Trans. B.G.A.S., 1980,
and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean,
1976).


Listing NGR: SO7873502930

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.