If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Owlpen Manor
Date Listed: 23 June 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 133147
OS Grid Reference: ST7999498370
OS Grid Coordinates: 379994, 198370
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6837, -2.2908
Explore more of the area around Owlpen, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
ST 79 NE and OWLPEN OWLPEN VILLAGE
ST 89 NW
5/355 Owlpen Manor
(previously listed as Manor House)
Manor house. C15 with mid C16 hall. West wing dated 1616 for T.D.
(Thomas Daunt); internal remodelling in east wing 1719-1722.
Restored by Norman Jewson 1925-26. Random rubble and dressed
limestone, partly roughcast rendered; ashlar and artificial stone
rebuilt chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey with attic;
accumulation results in L-plan. South front: 3 gables of
different dates. Projecting end of C15 east wing to right, altered
in early C18 with 2-window 18-pane sash fenestration having
bolection moulded architraves. Side parapets to gable are a C18
addition. Blocked attic window. Full central gable with moulded
coping and finial has recessed cavetto mullioned fenestration, off-
centre 6-light to ground floor, central upper floor 4-light flanked
by 2 single-light casements and carved arms panel above; 2-light
to attic, all casements with hoodmoulds and leaded lights. This
gable roughcast rendered. Projecting forward to left is early C17
addition, moulded coping to parapet gable having finials. Three-
storey canted bay window with mullioned casements reduces in width
above upper floor window, narrower attic part having 3-light front
face; 4-light to floors below; crenellated parapet. Date panel
below attic window 'TD 1616'. Ridge-mounted chimney at junction
with hall has cluster of 5 diagonal-set shafts with moulded caps.
East side: roughcast rendered except for return from front to left
and projecting chimney stack with rectangular shaft. Full gable of
short cross wing to right. Scattered timber casement fenestration
with scalloped jamb decoration; one 3-light above doorway has
heavy chamfered timber frame; ground floor cross window to left.
Two gabled attic dormers with leaded casements. West end: 2
parapet gables with finials to 1616 wing, fenestration arranged in
line with gables to upper floor and attic, 3-light to upper floor,
2-light to attic; one off-centre 3-light to ground floor.
Continuous dripmoulds. Projecting stone rainwater chutes between
Interior: remarkable for number and range of period features, this
mainly due to the building's lowly status in Cl9. Hall has timber
beamed compartment ceiling, moulded Tudor arched fireplace and on
north wall painted coat-of-arms of Daunt quartering Ollepen. Early
C17 oak panelling in parlour to west and newel staircase, this
leading to solar in C17 wing and, through one of a pair of timber
Tudor arched doorways with early fittings, into the Great Chamber
above the hall. Late C17 and very rare painted cloth hangings
cover all the walls in this room - these having been moved from a
room in the east wing and unfortunately trimmed. Late C16 Tudor
arched fireplace appears to have a later classical entablature.
East wing parlour - entered through round arched classical doorway
from hall with fluted Ionic pedestal-mounted pilasters - has early
C18 bolection-moulded fireplace and contemporary panelling.
Staircase in this wing by Norman Jewson. Bedroom (formerly
containing cloth hangings) now with C20 Queen Anne style panelling.
Some original roof trusses survive in east wing, arched braced with
cambered collars, wind bracing removed. Roof over hall appears
reconstructed, supporting the theory that this was mid C16
rebuilding of original hall, possibly contemporary with east wing;
some surviving ogee windbracing. Little alteration occurring here
until building's rescue from dilapidated state by Norman Jewson,
Ernest Gimson's assistant from Sapperton. Inscribed stone on east
wing records: 'This house, the greater part of which had not been
inhabited for many years and had fallen into decay, was restored by
Norman Jewson 1925-26'. A most important intact survival, situated
in yew-planted gardens, with gate piers to south (q.v.), Court
House to west (q.v.), barn to east (q.v.) and corn mill to south
(Several articles in Count Life: 6th October 1906, 11th January
1913, and 2nd and 9th November 1951. C.N. Mander, Owlpen Manor,
1985; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: ST7999498370
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.