British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Court House, Painswick

Description: Court House

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 October 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 133303

OS Grid Reference: SO8667209562
OS Grid Coordinates: 386672, 209562
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7846, -2.1946

Location: Hale Lane, Painswick, Gloucestershire GL6 6QE

Locality: Painswick
Local Authority: Stroud District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL6 6QE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Painswick, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SO 8609/8709
(west side)
Court House (formerly
21.10.55 listed under St Mary's
Large detached house. Rebuilt 1604 for Thomas Gardener, but probably incorpo-
rating elements of C16 layout; a large C20 extension at the north end. Large
squared dressed limestone blocks, stone slate roofs. The entrance front
suggests a late hall house, with two-storey porch and projecting wings, but the
porch entry not faces a large spiral stair on the far elevation. To the left,
well set back a lofty block containing the Court Room. Front is two storeys and
attics, gabled wings either end of recessed centre, 2-storey porch to right.
Each gable has 2 over 3 over 3-light, centre is 2 over 2-light, all hollow-mould
stone mullioned casements with rectangular leading, set to continuous moulded
string at ground floor, and to stopped drops above. In left return a canted
wall with single-lights to staircase. Porch has a 2-light above a fine broad
studded panelled door in moulded surround to internal doorway. Datestone 1604.
Left is a gable stack, them 3 diagonal stacks at ridge left, and 4 diagonal
stacks beyond ridge, right. Gables have saddle-back copings. Return to left
has centre gable with 2-light casement over two 3-light and two 3-light to a
string and an oculus, over two 2-light plain chamfer-mullion casements with no
leading, flanking a good C17 door with fillets and studs. Then a 3-storey
return wing with a 3-light casement to stopped hood over a large 4-light with
transom, and at ground floor round arch over a blocked opening with an inserted
door in a chamfered surround. To left a diagonal buttress with two offsets; two
plain buttresses with offsets also on wall to south front of main building.
Attached to the plain wall of the wing is a single storey unit at right angles
with vents at the ridge, and a very lofty stack; an arched throughway adjoins
the house, and contains a 3 offset buttress. The back is 4-gabled, that to left
broughtforward, the next one is haunched, and that to the right, to the Court
Room, is brought forward again, plus a canted two-storey bay. Through the fall
in ground levels, the right half of the building has two storeys, attics, and
basement or lower ground floor. Two, 3, or 4-light hollow mould casements; the
canted bay to right contains larger 4-light transomed casement at first floor,
and terminates in battlements. Continuous moulded string above ground floor to
original block. Two small single lights to stair in centre section, to left of
stone steps to quarter landing to a door under flat cambered head in chamfered
surround. A 2-light hipped dormer set in by the quadruple stack. The 1938
wing, to left, is in rubble with dressed quoins, but generally in conforming
style. Interior: the court room has large C16 stone fireplace and overmantel
with figures, complete C17 panelling including fluted Ionic pilasters, deco-
rative H-hinges to some doors, wide plank floor; adjoining all-panelled room
also has C16 fireplace and deep chamfered beams. The central 'hall' has a good
flat 4-centre stone fireplace, painted panelling; opposite porch a generous oak
spiral stair through two floors, and on opposite side, front, a stone spiral
through 2 floors in the canted corner. The Dining Room, probably former kitchen
has very wide plain chamfered bressummer fire, a Jacobean cupboard door with
ventilator over two deep chamfered beams. Small corner room (south east) has
bolection mould fireplace. King Charles' bedroom is fully C17 panelled, with
moulded stone fireplace, wide plank door, two chamfered beams. Above porch is a
peaked head wood door frame and an early door in two planks and battons. An
upper wall, corresponding to possible screens passage has some timber framing.
Roof, where seen, has heavy principals and mostly the C17 structure. Bedroom in
south-west corner has painted panelling, good chamfered beam, moulded flat
4-centre fireplace. Under the Court Room the cellar has transverse beams
propped on slender cast-iron columns: this area formally approached from east
through now blocked opening. The building is said to have stood originally
between a Manor House and the Church; known since 1680, as 'Court House', also
in 1689 here was appointed a 'Conventicle or Meeting House .....' this consti-
tuting the first Dissenters' Chapel in Painswick. The added portion of 1938 was
achieved with sensitivity so as not to spoil the overall aesthetic and
historical harmony.
(St Claire Baddeley, History of Painswick, rep 1980).

Listing NGR: SO8667209562

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.