British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Painswick House, Painswick

Description: Painswick House

Grade: I
Date Listed: 21 October 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 133436

OS Grid Reference: SO8633910468
OS Grid Coordinates: 386339, 210468
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7927, -2.1995

Location: Painswick, Gloucestershire GL6 6TH

Locality: Painswick
Local Authority: Stroud District Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL6 6TH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Painswick, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SO 8610/8710
6/249 Painswick House
- I
country house. 1737 probably by John Strahan for Charles Hyett, extended 1837
by George Baseri for his brother-in-law, W H Hyett. Fine limestone ashlar,
hipped slate roof with central lead flat. Crops-de-logis, the original
building, plus two wings at lower level; plan at main level has lofty 'hall' set
off-centre, right in corps-de-logis. At this end a substantial new entrance
hall with portico added, and at far end a new Dining room, behind which, and to
its north, is an extensive service and kitchen wing attached to bit outside the
principal block. Because of fall in ground levels, the main front of two
storeys and attics corresponds with a four-storeyed back. Principal front is 2
+ 5 + 2 windows, all glazing-bar sashes, at ground floor with Gibbs surrounds
and pediments over 5 bold keystones; to left and right of central door which is
set in a small Ionic porch across the bottom half of the window, the pediments
are segmental. First floor has 5 square sashes in shouldered architraves with
central keystone and with consoles to cills. Ground floor sashes are deep
15-pane, but two 24-pane left of porch, and two 18-pane in right hand wing; an
inner floor level cuts across the top 2 levels of these. Moulded cornice and
parapets, with sunk panelling to wings only. Various square ashlar stacks with
cappings. Right return, now the main entrance has bold flat-roofed Corinthian
4-columned portico with responds, in front of 2-storey block with central pedi-
ment and unit brought forward slightly and having small stack at centre; double
5-panel doors flanked by lights, ground floor has 12-pane sashes to cill band
and with shouldered architraves with keystones under similar at first floor
without keystones. The front framed in broad flat pilasters. Right hand wall
is carried across as 'false front' beyond main body, and is flanked by ashlar
wall running c.16 m to right with panelled pier terminations, partly concealing
buildings in back courtyard. Back is in four floors, severe plain openings to
various sashes, but including larger central triple-light with central arch in
brought-forward section off staircase; at basement level, left, a 3-bay pentice
with basket-handle arches with keystones on octagonal stone piers. To left is
2-storey unit with stone slate roof with 2-light arched light windows and a
peaked-head doorway, attached to which a one storey pavilion with pyramidal roof
and one similar window to west and north fronts, and a similar door. To right
of courtyard a large gabled unit with slate roof and a very lofty eaves stack
and bell-cote to kitchen; much of this appears to be C19, but probably incorpo-
rates part of the C17 farm preceding the present house. It includes three
9-pane over three 12-pane sashes on the north side. Attached to this a small
square brew house of the C19 with ventilator to stone-slated pyramidal roof;
2-light arched-light casement to east and north fronts, as in smoke room oppo-
site. Interior: Entrance hall has 2-column Ionic screen to left, and corres-
ponding wall pair to right, good stone floor with some tiling, enriched cornice
and plain ceiling leading to passageway with niche to either side and under flat
vaulted plaster ceiling; leads to grand staircase with 2 fluted Doric balusters
per tread, dado, 'Gibbsian' newels, of the 1737 build, but at first landing a
deep recess through pair of Corinthian columns with large triple window with
stained glass and a fine joinery inlay floor; Thorwaldsen plaques to side
walls. Library, the largest of the main rooms has Baseri bookcases, enriched
cornice, heavy ornamented, a fireback dated 1641 and the Hyett motto: "COR
IMMOBILE". Drawing room has splendid C18 Chinoiserie painted hangings on canvas
to battens. Stair corridor links via ante-room with glazed barrel vault with
some coloured glass and with Greek key frieze to the Dining room with replica
Parttenor frieze, scagliola columns to opposed recesses that nearer the drawing
room having glazed flat ceiling; black marble fireplace with 2 bronze masks;
porphyry bases to columns; decorative plaster ceiling. A very mannerist
building resulting from Baseri's adaption of the earlier house: floor levels at
odd relationships to elevation, and quirkily varied sash divisions on main
front. (C L Sept 1917).

Listing NGR: SO8632810466

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.