If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 10 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 134245
OS Grid Reference: SO8279423332
OS Grid Coordinates: 382794, 223332
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9083, -2.2515
Explore more of the area around Sandhurst, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
SANDHURST SANDHURST VILLAGE
SO 82 SW
5/125 Church of St. Lawrence
Anglican parish church. C14, rebuilt 1858 by Fulljames and Waller.
Nave: blue lias with limestone buttresses. Chancel: random coursed
blue lias with limestone buttresses, ashlar limestone facing at
east end. Vestry and north aisle: blue lias. Tower: lower two
stages blue lias, third stage squared and dressed limestone.
Concrete tile and red tile roof. Plan: nave with north aisle and
projecting south porch, chancel with vestry on north, west tower.
Chancel south wall; two 2-light windows with ogee cusped trefoil
heads. Tudor-arched priest's doorway, blocked with limestone and
red sandstone. Clamp buttress right of doorway. Three-light east
window with 3 cinquefoil roundels at top, scroll-moulded hood with
foliate stops. North wall; single C19 light with trefoil head.
East wall of vestry; 2-light trefoil-headed window. North wall
with clamp buttress left; two-light window with flat-chamfered
pointed surround, C19 plank door with decorative strap hinges right
within shouldered flat-chamfered surround. North wall of aisle; 4
clamp buttresses, twin gables lit by 2-light pointed windows with
quatrefoils. Foliate ivy-leaf boss at junction of gables. Waist-
height scroll-moulded string, moulded eaves, cornice with moulded
corbels interrupted by beast-like stone rainwater heads. North
aisle west end: 2-light window with pointed trefoil head. Nave
north wall: 2 tall 2-light windows with pointed trefoil heads.
Three stage tower; lower stages C14 with later upper stage, C19
pointed trefoil-headed window to ground floor on north, similar
window on west face. First stage lit by small single rectangular
C19 lights, second stage lit by tall belfry windows with pointed
trefoil heads and carved spandrels within moulded rectangular
surrounds. Monument to Elizabeth, wife of Walter (?) Alardiy, died
1649, set at base of tower on south side; limestone, segmental-
headed rectangular limestone panel with simple incised face at top,
scroll decoration upper right and left. C19 plank door in deep
reveal right. Nave south wall; 2-light C19 window with cinquefoil
headed lights- in rectangular surround, left of porch. Three 2-
light windows right of porch, 2 with trefoil-headed lights, one
with cinequefoil-headed lights. Clamp buttress far right with
unfinished probably C17 inscription to Elizabeth, wife of Giles
Haward. Possible mass dial with incised square outline above. C19
gabled timber porch with flagged floor incorporating stone ledger
to William Bell, died 1653, brass plaque on another ledger to
Catherine Bell, died 1729. Slightly stepped gable-end coping with
upright cross finials. Pyramidal red tile capping to tower.
Interior: C20 plank door with decorative strap hinges from porch
to nave, within moulded segmental-headed surround with early chip-
carved fleur-de-lys at top. Lower part of lintel probably cut away
to form segmental-headed opening C19. Four-bay nave arcade with
octagonal piers with moulded capitals and naturalistic foliate
carving at junction of hoods. C14 pointed arch with double hollow
moulding and hood with C19 King and Queen's head stops. C19
pointed chancel arch with ogee and scroll mouldings formerly with
two columns either side (now removed) capitals with naturalistic
foliate capitals remain, hood with stops with similar carvings.
Blocked pointed arch from chancel into vestry, hollow moulding at
top with 4-leafed flower decoration. Entrance to vestry right with
cinquefoil-headed surround with ogee moulded hood with naturalistic
foliate stops. Naturalistic foliate carving around upper part of
east window , black marble columns either side with foliate
capitals, ogee moulded hood with naturalistic foliate stops.
Medieval piscina in form of scalloped indentations forming circle
drainage hole at centre, in sill of window right of altar. C19
plank door at east end of aisle within flat-chamfered pointed
surround. Scroll-moulded hood with stops in form of blocks
(presumably unfinished). Roof of nave: 6 bays with C19 collar truss
with 'V' struts and triple-curved tie beam. Chancel roof: 3 bays
with C19 hammer beam trusses with scissor bracing at top, 4-leafed
flower decoration at ends of each hammer beam. Bracing below
hammer beams, suppported on stone corbels decorated with fine
naturalistic foliate carving. Floor of nave: red and black tiles
forming diaper pattern. Red, black, grey and encaustic tiling in
chancel and sanctuary also in diaper pattern. Pews C19 with
linenfold panelling at ends. Two ornately carved C18 chairs either
side of altar. C17 octagonal carved pulpit at south-east corner of
nave, blind arch on each face with raised foliate scrollwork with
in each arch of blue background, paired dragons at top, guilloche
with rosettes at bottom. C19 wooden lectern in form of eagle on
opposite side of nave right of C20 organ. Late C12 circular lead
font inside south door decorated with an arcade of eleven
compartments, seated figures each with right hand raised and book
on knee within arcade alternating with foliate "S" scrolls,
foliate frieze at top and bottom, later circular stone base
supported by central pillar made up of 3 square columns.
Monuments: wooden plaque commemorating Queen Victoria's Diamond
Jubilee (1897) in tower. South wall of nave, towards west end:
monument to Rev. Walter de Winton (formerly Wilkins q.v. Wallsworth
Hall), died 1851 and Anna his wife; white on black marble with
upturned burning tapers right and left, open book and biblical
quotation at top. Three C17 slate stone monuments within limestone
surrounds below; monument lower left to Hester Gyse, died 1673 and
John her husband, died 1698 with moulded lugged frame with foliate
scrollwork either side, highlighted in gold, inscription in gold
lettering. Similar monument right to Joane Gyse, died 1680 with
details of benefaction, inscription formerly in gold lettering.
Similar monument right in plain rectangular surround (probably C20)
in memory of Mary and Gore Bayley, died 1695 and 1697 and children
of William and Mary Bayley. Monuments of north wall opposite; two
white on grey marble C19 monuments to members of the Hopkinson
family, one C18. C19-stained glass in chancel. C19 stained glass
in 3 windows in south wall of nave. C20 stained glass at west end
of north aisle. (Do Verey, The Buildings of England,
Gloucestershire: The Vale-and the Forest of Dean, 1980).
Listing NGR: SO8279423332
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.