If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Ashleworth Court
Date Listed: 10 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 134308
OS Grid Reference: SO8186525218
OS Grid Coordinates: 381865, 225218
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9252, -2.2651
Explore more of the area around Ashleworth, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
ASHLEWORTH QUAY LANE
7/17 Ashleworth Court
(formerly listed as Ashleworth
10-1-55 Court, Ashleworth Quay)
Farmhouse. About 1460 for Bristol Abbey, altered C17, second half
C19 by and for T. Fulljames, early C20. Coursed, squared blue
lias, ashlar to openings, tiled roof. Four-room main block, cross
wing projecting only at rear, oriel in angle: single-storey wing
other end. Generally, windows and doorways with hoodmoulds and
voussoir-relieving arches, latter omitted close under eaves:
parapet gables with cross-gablet apices. Front, west elevation:
windows to left of cross passage mullion and transom. Cross wing
on left does not project: ground floor 3-light window, flat head,
no hoodmould; above 2-light window, arched head; gable over. To
right 2 tall 2-light windows originally to Great Hall: sills
lowered to different levels in C19 and C20. Boarded door to cross
passage. Three irregularly-spaced lancets to right, trefoil heads,
flat hoodmoulds, sunk spandrels to left pair, leaf carving to wider
right-hand one. Above two 2-light mullioned windows, trefoil heads
to lights, flat hoodmould: left window at some stage had been a
door, cutting away relieving arch of window below. Three ridge
chimneys, that on right of cross passage with crenellated top.
Rear elevation: wall thickened externally on left, single-storey
left wing with storerooms projects. To right boarded door, 2
lancets and boarded door to cross passage, only last with
hoodmould, relieving arches only to doors. Above 3 corbels for
wallplate and stone string marking top of former lean-to roof.
Two-light mullioned window as front, and small quatrefoil window.
Two tall windows to Great Hall as front, sills similarly lowered.
Oriel, left return boarded door, cambered stone arch (probably C19
opening): relieving arch for former window: lancet above as
front; render on brick to gable, no copings. Main face lancet as
front ground floor, 2-light mullioned window above: small ogee-
headed lancet at half level for stairs. Cross wing, C20 metal
French doors ground floor left return, lancet as front above:
gable, on left scar of former narrow wing, jamb of blocked door
above and line of roof: to right 2-light casement, iron opening
light on ground floor, cambered stone arch. Above 2-light
mullioned window, shouldered arches to lower part, plain triangles
above, inscribed TF 1870; quatrefoil over. Lateral chimney right
return behind lean-to room.
Interior: cross passage: door and blocked door right, latter to
former stairs. Two service rooms in line, outline of blocked wide
fireplace in gable wall. Great hall originally to left, open to
roof; C17 floor inserted, divided into 2 rooms: ceiling in 12
compartments, with deep, chamfered beams. Partition to cross
passage timber framed, ignoring ceiling beams. Oriel with spiral
stone staircase: stone paving in front room in cross wing, C19
stone fireplace: exposed ceiling joists. First floor C17 handrail
stairs, plain, splat balusters: 2 stone heads; moulded wooden
cornice. Room adjoining cross wing open to roof: arch-braced
collar trusses, braces from stone corbels: moulded, crenellated
wallplate, 2 pairs butt purlins, chamfered with pyramid stops,
square ridge, curved windbraces in 3 tiers. Service end, ceiling
in 3 bays, each in 3 sections: last bay subdivided probably late
C19. Cross wing, loft inserted C17, three posts to carry ends main
beams: front room 3 bays, trusses and roof as hall, with trusses
against gable and stud partition: single rear bay originally open
to roof also, but simple wallplate and no windbraces. Forms
important group with church and tithe barn (q.v.).
(M. Wood, Medieval English House, 1965; D. Verey, Gloucestershire,
the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)
Listing NGR: SO8186625222
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.