British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew and St Bartholomew, Ashleworth

Description: Church of St Andrew and St Bartholomew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 10 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 134310

OS Grid Reference: SO8185025186
OS Grid Coordinates: 381850, 225186
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9249, -2.2653

Location: Rodway Lane, Sandhurst, Gloucestershire GL19 4JA

Locality: Ashleworth
Local Authority: Tewkesbury Borough Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL19 4JA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Ashleworth, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SO 8025-8125
7/19 Church of St. Andrew &
St. Bartholomew
10-1-55 (formerly listed as in Ashleworth
Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, 1869 restoration and north
transept by T. Fulljames for Rev. Attwood. Tower thin coursed
stone to lower part, coursed squared stone top, both ashlar
dressings: ashlar parapet and spire; nave squarish stone, porch
approaching ashlar; transept and vestry roughly squared, coursed
stone, ashlar dressings. Chancel random rubble, squared dressings;
aisle coursed squared blue lias, ashlar dressings. Stone slate
roof, artificial stone slate to valley. Nave, chancel, south
aisle, north transept, porch and vestry, western tower. Four-stage
tower; west face plinth, angled corner buttresses, 2-light window
with C19 Decorated tracery, hoodmould: lancet with ogee trefoil
head above: moulded string. Lancet above, second moulded string,
tower windows slightly above, 2-light window, Perpendicular
tracery, 4-centre arch, wooden louvres. Battlemented parapet with
2 gargoyles from string course below. Octagonal spire with roll to
arrises, 4 lucarnes in 2 levels, counter changed: stone finial,
iron spike. North face of tower, buttress on left square set,
lowest 2 stages plain, as west face above. Nave, low plinth, wall
later raised: semi-circular headed doorway, blocked, later C19
tracery inserted. Porch to left, plinth, angle buttresses to
corners, moulded archway, 4-centred arch, plain spandrels,
hoodmould: parapet gable, cross gablet apex. Semi-circular head
to windows in returns. Transept on left, plinth, angled
buttresses, 2-light Geometric tracery window with hoodmould in
gable, parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. Three-light Perpendicular
tracery window reset in left return: flat head. Old vestry set
back on left, flat roof, moulded parapet: 2-light window, 3
trefoils and ballflower over in parapet: similar on left return
over doorway with shouldered arch. Three stepped lancets over
vestry in chancel wall; lancet to left of vestry. Parapet gable
to chancel, cross gablet apex, iron cross. East end, 3-light
window to chancel, Decorated tracery of C19, hoodmould. Aisle
diagonally-set corner buttress, 3-light window, C19 Perpendicular
tracery, parapet gable, floriate cross on apex. South side, four
2-light windows, flat heads, varied tracery: boarded priest's door
to left of first, keel moulding to surround, stone step, hoodmould.
Quoins for earlier east end to left of door. Parapet gable left
end, cross-gablet apex. Boarded door, hinges as for porch on left
return, 4-centred archway; tower as on north side, but boarded
door in second stage approached by iron ladder.
Interior: No ridge piece in any medieval roof. Porch, stone bench
each side, C16 boarded door, original hinges, angle-strut truss
each end, one pair purlins, curved windbraces. Nave, unplastered;
north wall herringbone masonry, semi-circular arch to earlier
opening a little above north door head. Wide arch to transept on
corbelled columns with hoodmould; plain arch to chancel, squint to
right, reopened late C19. Four-bay south arcade, octagonal
pillars, plain bases and capitals, straight-sided arches, rounded
at foot. Collar rafter roof, straight braces, 2 heavy tie beams
with crown posts but no collar rafter. Chancel plastered: lancets
in C19 recess on left: wide arch to south side, trefoil-headed
piscina, square aumbry: arch-braced collar rafter roof, but braces
removed on south side when chancel widened on building of south
aisle, C15. South chancel aisle unplastered, ogee-headed piscina,
2 ballflower, oak-leaf carving beneath: base of stairs to rood
screen. Wooden C15 rood screen reset in south side, partly C19
restoration: 6 lights each side central doorway, brackets carry
boarded platform over. Arch-braced collar rafter roof with moulded
collar rafter and wallplates to whole aisle: area to front of
screen boarded, with ribs. Pulpit said to contain reused carved
c1635 panels, but appears to be all 1894 (for Rev R Marchant). Two
medieval chests. Octagonal stone C19 font, quatrefoils on bowl,
blind panelling stem: pews C19, linenfold panelling to ends.
Royal arms Elizabeth I in south aisle, a very early survival. Late
C18 benefactions board under tower, 1615 brass in transept, Creed
and Decalogue on unequal metal plates at west end nave. A little
medieval glass in south chancel aisle window: east window by A.
Gibbs, 1865, east aisle window 1874, commemorates T. Fulljames.
Nine brass hanging lamps, glass globe and flue for oil, converted
to electricity. Top of spire rebuilt late C19.
(Kelly's Gloucestershire, 1879; 1901 faculty at C.R.O; notes in
church; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of
Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO8185525190

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.