British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Ashleworth Manor, Ashleworth

Description: Ashleworth Manor

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 10 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 134317

OS Grid Reference: SO8189325734
OS Grid Coordinates: 381893, 225734
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9298, -2.2647

Location: Ashleworth, Gloucestershire GL19 4LA

Locality: Ashleworth
Local Authority: Tewkesbury Borough Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL19 4LA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Ashleworth, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SO 8025-8125
7/26 Ashleworth Manor
House. Said to be circa 1460, for Abbot Newbury of Bristol, but
may be a little later; mid C19 probably by and for T. Fulljames;
1903 by W.B. Wood. Close studded timber frame, rendered panels,
stone plinth; Sussex bond brickwork; tiled roof. 'H'-plan, 5
windows wide, central porch entrance side, wings 2 and 3 rooms
deep, 2 1/2 storeys; single storey service wing one end. Front
elevation to road: 'E' plan, whole jettied, 3 gables: windows all
ovolo moulded externally, hollow chamfer internally, iron opening
lights (probably all C19); all lights leaded. Ground floor storey-
height panels, heavy corner and main posts, integral nib, curved
brace to beam over. On right 4-light mullion and transom window, 3
mortices in beam over for original window head; main beam projects
to support jetty. In set back to left 3-light casement, sill
lowered, 3 mortices in beam over: blocked window on left against
porch. Porch open on ground floor: bench seats each side, two 2-
light open windows in sides, moulded ceiling beams; moulded door
surround, original double-boarded door, blind panelling front, 'Y'
knocker, Tudor arch with leaf decoration to spandrels. To left,
curved brace to sill, 2-light casement, main post with central nib
close to corner wing. Four-light casement in left wing: to left
brick wall to yard, boarded door, brick gable with timber framed
truss, king post with herringbone braces (1903 addition). First
floor: moulded sill at jetty, applied moulded mid rail, framing 2
panels high between windows: curved braces corner posts to sill in
each gable, moulded cambered tie beam to end gables, straight to
centre, moulded collar to end gables, plain barge boards. Right
gable 4-light casement, single light over to loft. Blocked window
left return: 3-light casement in recess, top of brace to main post
left, largely hidden by porch room: blocked windows in returns to
porch, 2-light casement to front, 2 slits in studs to loft over,
for ventilation. To left 2-light casement, brace to main post
adjoining wing. Four-light casement to front of wing, single light
to attic over. Front of left return plain brick. Brick chimney,
moulded cap, nib to side, on right against cross wing (probably C17
brickwork): brick chimneys on ridge and left return left wing.
Right return, jettied: ground floor 2 arch braces, to main posts,
3-light mullion and transom window added 1903 in place of door: to
right 3-plank C15 door, carved top and bottom rails, reused from
inside house: door off quarter landing up 4 stone steps. Blocked
window to right. First floor moulded sill, curved braces to end
posts, moulded mid rail as front, but plain under windows for
applied sills for canted oriels, since removed. Three-light
casement left, mortices for 2 brackets beneath; two 2-light
casements to right, mortices for single bracket below: centre
window probably C18.
Interior: hall wide stone fireplace, Tudor arch with hollow
chamfer, 1662 cast-iron fireback. Ceiling quartered with heavy
moulded beams, exposed moulded joists. Exposed moulded beams in
right wing: c1850 stone fireplace in front room, 4-centred arch,
buttresses. To left, both floors, plain chamfer to lateral beam,
angled beam across with mortices for close studding: stairs 1903,
splat balusters; doors mid C19, four vertical panels with cover
strips, original brass locks. Room over hall, wall to porch room
has been removed: moulded main beams, cambered across building:
plastered ceiling with hidden, unmoulded joists. Wide stone
fireplace, flat lintel, plain chamfer. Similar beams in wing on
right: moulded main posts. Angle strut trusses to original roof,
2 pairs purlins, ridge to cross wing, curved, thin wind braces in 2
tiers. Medieval house cross wing, hall range and porch: probably
originally extended one bay further to left on site of left cross
wing. This may have been demolished before C19. Mid C19 front of
left cross wing built, as exact copy externally to front of right.
1903, left wing extended to rear in timber framing, low service
wing added to left, single-storey scullery wing on right
(1903 drawings and C19 photographs at house; D. Verey
Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO8189325734

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.