If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Giles
Date Listed: 10 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 134351
OS Grid Reference: SO8138021655
OS Grid Coordinates: -691200, 4232777
Latitude/Longitude: 100.0000, 100.0000
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross in St Giles Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Maisemore, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.
MAISEMORE CHURCH ROAD
Church of St. Giles
Parish church. C15, early C16, 1844, 1869 by Fulljames and
Waller. Coursed, squared lias with ashlar dressings, ashlar to
porch, stone slate roof. Four-bay nave, north aisle, west tower,
south porch, chancel, vestry. South facade: 3-stage tower,
moulded top to plinth, diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses.
Second stage 2-light reticulated-tracery window, similar third with
stone louvres; upper part third stage ashlar; crenellated
parapet, string below with 2 gargoyles, moulded rib up corner:
pyramid roof with iron weathervane. Nave: square-set end and
intermediate buttresses, 3-light C19 reticulated-tracery windows,
eastern Perpendicular. Plain projecting eaves. Porch in second
bay, plinth, diagonal corner buttresses, moulded door surround, 4-
centre arch, hoodmould: half-glazed doors 1972. C19 statue over
in original niche with hoodmould, sundial above: parapet gable,
cross-gablet apex with cross lacking top member. Two-light window
in returns, moulded wooden eaves. Chancel slightly set back from
nave: plinth, 2-light reticulated-tracery window, square-set
corner buttress. Parapet gables to nave and chancel, cross-gablet
apices with stone crosses, additional gablet foot of chancel slope.
East end 3-light Geometric-tracery window, floriate stops to
hoodmould. North elevation, chancel as south; vestry projects,
plinth, boarded door and cinquefoil-headed lancet left return: 2-
light window with hoodmould north face, parapet gable over, with
stump of chimney at apex, stone offsets. Aisle projects on right;
plinth, end and centre square-set buttresses, 4 windows, left 3-
light Perpendicular tracery, rest 2-light reticulated. Parapet
gables with cross-gable apices and stone crosses, stump of chimney
on bottom of west gable. Tower, as south side, but window only in
third stage: 3 lancets below for stairs. West face: 3-light
window with hoodmould to aisle, tower as south, but boarded door
with arched, moulded stone surround, 2-light window above offset to
right, Decorated tracery, hoodmould. Second stage blank, third as
Interior: porch arch-braced collar-rafter roof, inserted plastered
barrel vault since removed. Nave: octagonal piers with moulded
capitals, hoodmould to arches; wide C19 chancel arch with
corbelled inner section; iron railing on stone base below.
Swelling capitals as at Ashleworth to tower arch. Open, hammer-
beam roof trusses, rising from stone corbels, with intermediate
half trusses; 2 pairs purlins, wind braces to upper, square ridge
piece, exposed rafters. North aisle roof arch-braced collar
trusses, one pair purlins with wind braces. Three-bay chancel,
dado panelling and reredos as War Memorial; arch-braced collar
trusses with short king-post, one pair purlins, painted decoration
to chamfers on wallplate and braces. Semi-octagonal wooden
Jacobean pulpit, corner columns and strapwork, on stone base:
probably C18 hour-glass stand. Octagonal stone front, said to be
cut down in C15 from Norman one, on C19 stone base; early C18
wooden cover. George III royal arms over south door. Wheeler
wall monument in aisle, with scrolls, cherub and broken pediment,
1680; marble wall monuments to W. Pembruge, 1738, Pitt, 1784: 3
late C17 wall monuments in nave. Chancel restored 1844, further
extensive restoration 1869 when north aisle added and gallery
removed; no medieval window tracery left in nave or chancel.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory, 1897)
Listing NGR: SO8138021655
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.