British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew, Toddington

Description: Church of St Andrew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 4 July 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 134947

OS Grid Reference: SP0350133074
OS Grid Coordinates: 403501, 233074
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9961, -1.9504

Location: 4 The Square, Toddington GL54 5DQ

Locality: Toddington
Local Authority: Tewkesbury Borough Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL54 5DQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Toddington, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP 03 SW
(north side)
3/161 Church of St Andrew
(formerly listed as Church of
4.7.60 St Leonard)
Parish church. 1873-'9 by G.E. Street's for Lord Sudeley. Ashlar
walls, stone slate roof. Nave, south porch, south tower, chancel,
north and south chapels, vestry. Church in Street's early
Decorated style, with Geometric tracery, heavy moulded plinth
throughout, with string course above at sill level to chapels and
chancel. South front: square-set buttresses on left, 2-light
window, hoodmould, buttress; projecting single-storey porch,
clasping corner buttresses, arched opening, parapet gable with
cross-gablets at foot and apex, cross on apex: 2-light window in
returns. To right two 3-light windows, hoodmoulds, buttress
between, corbelled eaves, parapet gable west end. Tower projects
to right, square-set corner buttresses, sloping and gabled offsets.
South side double, boarded door up one stone step, nook shafts,
dogtooth moulding to arch, hoodmould, string course: tall 2-light
window, hoodmould, string course, lancets behind 3 linked arches
with hoodmoulds, sloping offset, 2-light window with wooden
louvres, corbelled eaves, broach spire, crocketed finials to
broaches, 3 levels of lucarnes to cardinal faces, iron weathervane.
Left return has semi-octagonal projection at rear, boarded door in
slight projection adjoining. To right of tower south chapel, 3-
light window with hoodmould, lancet, square-set corner buttresses,
corbelled eaves, parapet gable with cross on apex. Chancel set
back on right, 3-light window, head stops to hoodmould, square-set
buttresses to corner with gabled offsets, eaves and gable as
chapel. East end: top of tower as south. Chapel, two 2-light
windows, with hoodmoulds, string course across gable, 3-light
window in moulded surround. Chancel corner buttresses as south:
5-light window with 2 king mullions, hoodmould; string course and
window over as chapel. Vestry slightly set back on right, 3-light
window with hoodmould, cross on apex parapet gable. North side,
boarded door with arched head, up 3 stone steps, string steps up to
form hoodmould: plain, projecting eaves. Chapel sets forward to
right, eaves as nave. North face double gable, with square-set
corner and centre gabled buttresses. Two 3-light windows with
hoodmoulds, blind quatrefoils over each side, large, scaley
gargoyle in centre. String course across both gables, each with
cinquefoil window over, cross on apex of parapet gables. Set back
on right to rear, circular turret in angle with conical roof and
lucarne. Three 3-light windows alternating with buttresses to
right; boarded door up one stone step to right, triangular window
over, with hoodmould: square-set corner buttresses. Eaves and
gable as south.
Interior: porch, boarded door to rear, 3 marble nook shafts each
side, dogtooth moulding and cusping to arch over, hoodmould; arch-
braced collar trusses. Interior church ashlar walls: concrete
floor except to chancel, marble; Purbeck marble nook shafts to
windows. Nave: walls in bays with Purbeck marble shafts carrying
arches in side walls: moulded string course over. Screen to west,
7-bay blind arcade, clustered columns, trefoil arches, hoodmoulds,
trefoils to spandrels; 3 tall arches over, cutting off western bay
with barrel vault. Moulded arches with moulded capitals and bases
to clustered columns below, to north chapel, tower and chancel.
Hammer-beam trusses to nave roof, arched braces to purlins, upper
braces cusped. Chancel: arches to chapels as nave: Purbeck
marble vaulting shafts, quadripartite vaulting in 3 bays, centre
one narrow. Arcaded seating around east end, 5 bays to sides, 7 to
end, marble shafts, trefoil heads, hoodmoulds, leaf diapering to
back of all but corner seats and over arches on east wall; aumbry
to south. Purbeck marble gradines to communion table, set forward
of east wall. Boarded doors under trefoil heads to vestry and
south chapel: 6-bay open wooden screen behind choir stalls.
Marble vaulting shafts to south chapel, one square and one narrow
bay: central column. North chapel 2-bay, marble vaulting shafts,
5-part vaults (no central column). Stone bench seat to wall, 5
cinquefoiled recesses in lower part, carved spandrels over on east
wall. String course: blind windows to east: three C18 marble
wall monuments. In centre large altar tomb by Lough: up 2 stone
steps, plinth, blind arcading to sides, corner angels and paired
figures in centre of long sides; brass strip for inscription,
effigies of C. Hanbury-Tracy, first Baron Sudeley (builder of
Toddington Manor, q.v.) and his wife. Effigies 1865, chest below
1872. Semi-octagonal stone pulpit, blind arcading to sides,
clustered column below: carved circular font on clustered column,
using Derbyshire Spar: stone gadrooned wine-glass font by north
chapel. East window by Hardman, north-west in nave by Clayton and
Bell (1913). Various loose effigies and parts of C17 building or
monument in north chapel, also carved stops for hoodmoulds.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and The Forest of Dean, 1970;
Rev P.L.C. Richards, St Andrews Church, Toddington, 1981)

Listing NGR: SP0350633088

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.