British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of the Holy Trinity, Badgeworth

Description: Church of the Holy Trinity

Grade: I
Date Listed: 4 July 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 134957

OS Grid Reference: SO9015019231
OS Grid Coordinates: 390150, 219231
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8716, -2.1445

Location: Leckhampton, Gloucestershire GL51 5UL

Locality: Badgeworth
Local Authority: Tewkesbury Borough Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL51 5UL

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross in Holy Trinity Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Badgeworth, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SO 91 NW

4/5 Church of the Holy Trinity



Anglican parish church. Early C14, probably with earlier origins,
Perpendicular, some rebuilding and restoration mid 1860s by Messrs.
Middleton of Cheltenham. Nave and porch: coursed squared and
dressed limestone. Chancel and vestry: random coursed squared and
dressed limestone. North aisle randomly coursed ashlar. Tower:
ashlar. stone.-slate roofs. Nave with north aisle/chapel and
projecting south porch; chancel with vestry on the south; west
tower. Nave south wall with buttresses with offsets: tall pointed
window with hollow-chamfered mullion and ogee-curved trefoil-headed
lights to each light quatrefoil. The porch conceals a C19 plank
door with a shallow moulded pointed surround. Early C14 north
aisle with plinth with concave upper moulding to the west of the
door, unusual additional projecting moulding to plinth east of the
door lit by three 2-light pointed windows with cinquefoil-headed
lights with triangular cusped lights at the top; moulded mullions
and surrounds with ballflower ornament; moulded hoods with
ballflower ornament and carved head stops; engaged finials at the
apex of each hood. C19 pointed plank door with decorative hinges
within an almost round-headed surround with a small ogee curve at
its apex; deeply moulded surround decorated with ballflower
ornament and with carved head stops; carved head stop at the apex
of the hood. Monument towards the west end to Thomas Lawrence,
died 1767; limestone with red sandstone triangular pediment. The
west window of the north aisle matches that lighting the north
wall; 3-light Perpendicular east window. Three stage tower with
diagonal buttresses and Perpendicular upper stages; double C19
studded plank door within a flat-chamfered 4-centred arched
surround with carved spandrels and plain heraldic shields; stoup
with ogee-curved head to the right of the door. Two-light belfry
windows with stone louvres. Battlemented parapet with trefoil-
headed blind panelling, string and gargoyles. C19 chancel with
angle and side buttresses; 3-light east window; pointed single-
light and 2-light windows in the side walls. Monument with a
segmental-headed pediment and an illegible inscription on the south
side. Vestry on the south side with two triangular cusped lights
facing south; base for two circular chimney shafts, one remaining,
at the eaves. Gabled projecting porch, probably rebuilt C19, with
double C19 plank doors with foliate hinges flanked by red sandstone
shafts with foliate capitals from which springs a moulded archway;
hood with carved head stops; small window above. with a flat-
chamfered surround the upper part is probably reused from an image
niche and has miniature engaged finials. C19 roof within porch;
flagged floor; two medieval oak chests with iron binding strips.
Interior: nave and chancel scraped; interior of chancel ashlar.
Three-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers with moulded capitals
and double-chamfered arch. Flagged floor. Three-bay C14 wagon
roof with moulded intersecting beams with decorative bosses; the
panels of the easternmost bay are further subdivided into quarters
by intersecting beams also with bosses; braced tie beams rising
from angel corbels with shields. Similar but less heavily built 3-
bay C14 wagon roof to the south aisle with decorative bosses and
similar angel corbels from which rise small engaged columns.
Pointed chancel arch with double-chamfered arch and now partially
blocked with a screen, added 1917; trefoil-headed image niche to
the right; trefoil-headed piscina in the south wall nearby.
Perpendicular tower arch. Segmental-headed inner archwith a
hollow-moulded surround decorated with large ball flowers to the
north door; engaged hollow-moulded columns with bases and ball
flower ornament to the windows of the north aisle. Plank door-to
the former rood loft high up in the wall at the east end of the
north aisle; ogee-curved cinquefoil-headed .niche set in the
respond of the nave arcade nearby. Pointed plank door with moulded
C19 surround decorated with ball flower and 4-petal flowers in the
south wall of the nave. Vestry not accessible. Wide triangular-
headed opening with large angel corbels supporting an inner archway
the whole being blocked by a part-glazed partition. Plain C19
octagonal stone font at the west end of the north aisle. C19 pews
and choir stalls with blind tracery at the ends; two C18 benches
with arm rests, fielded panels and turned legs and railings. C20
organ at the base of the tower. C19 carved hexagonal pulpit
brought from Bagpath in 1976; C19 brass communion rails; C20
altar table. Fine C18 chest with ornate stained decoration
depicting hunting scenes in the north aisle; square stone sundial
on window sill above with an inscription 'John Stanby his Gift
1645'. Wooden commandment board at the east end of the north
aisle/chapel inscription 'God save the Queen 1591. James Elbrige.
William Bub' in inlaid lettering. Monuments: part of a medieval
ledger with an incised cross used as a step to the south doorway;
Baroque monument, formerly highlighted in gold and black, to
William Hynson died 1667 and Elizabeth his wife, died 1670 with
barley-twist columns either side of the inscription panel, painted
heraldic shield; swan-necked pediment with cherubs above. White
and grey sarcophagus-shaped monument to the right of the tower arch
to George Gough, died 1756 with urn and painted cartouche above.
Monument to Sara Gwinnett, died 1717 with an oval inscription panel
surrounded by roses and bell flowers, bust, two cherubs and a
pointed heraldic shield at the top. To north aisle/chapel: marble
monument to Lyttleton Lawrence, died 1740 with pediment and urn on
the north wall of the north aisle/chapel; six simple C19 marble
monuments on the walls; C17, C18 and C19 ledgers in the floor.
Some medieval stained glass within the tracery of the windows of
the north aisle and the west window of the nave. Cl9 stained glass
west window and in the chancel. The church acted as a cell of the
priory of Usk which was founded by the de Clares. The decoration
of the north aisle/chapel has analogies with that of the south
aisle of Gloucester Cathedral.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of
Dean, 1980)

Listing NGR: SO9015119234

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.