British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter, Leckhampton

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 4 July 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 135060

OS Grid Reference: SO9429619403
OS Grid Coordinates: 394296, 219403
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8732, -2.0842

Location: 2 Church Road, Leckhampton, Gloucestershire GL51 5XX

Locality: Leckhampton
Local Authority: Cheltenham Borough Council
County: Gloucestershire
Country: England
Postcode: GL51 5XX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Moated Site and Fishponds at Church Farm, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Leckhampton, Gloucestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SO 91 NW (south side)

4/110 Church of St Peter



Anglican parish church. C12, C14, enlarged 1866-8 by John
Middleton. Ashlar; stone slate roof. Nave with north and
south aisles, projecting south porch; vestry at right angles to
north aisle; chancel with tower over; sanctuary with room over.
C14 sanctuary and chancel. North wall of chancel: small plank
priest's door within a flat-chamfered ogee-arched doorway lower
right; tall C19 two-light window with cinquefoil-headed lights and
quatrefoil to the sanctuary; diagonal buttresses at the east end;
2-light Decorated east window similar to that previously described,
but with a restored mullion and a moulded hood with carved head
stops; 2-light window with trefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil and
hood with ballflower ornament above, this window lights a room
above the sanctuary; tall C19 two-light window as on south to the
north wall; large scratch sundial on the buttress to the left.
Early C14 tower, north side: tall 2-light window matching that
lighting the north wall of the sanctuary; stone steps up to C19
door to stair turret to tower above chancel; single-light belfry
windows with stone louvres; fine octagonal ribbed spire with
trefoil-headed lucarnes and decorated finial with weathercock.
East end and south wall of south aisle C14, a rectangular C14
window with reticulated tracery at the east end, similar window
with a restored lintel to the south wall of the south aisle, east
of the C19 vestry which has windows matching those lighting the
south aisle and a projecting gable-end stack with two circular
shafts; plank door within a pointed surround to the west-facing
wall. C19 buttresses to the south aisle west of the vestry which
is lit by one C14 and one C19 three-light window, both with
relieving arches, and one C19 single-light window, all three
windows are of a similar design to those previously described in
the south aisle. C19 three-light window'with a segmental-pointed
head and reticulated tracery at the west end. C19 west end to
nave with a C20 panelled door within a pointed-arched. surround with
red sandstone columns with foliate capitals either side from which
rises a moulded arch with a scroll-moulded hood with king's head
stops; buttresses with offsets either side. C19 three-light
window with reticulated tracery and a moulded hood with uncarved
stops. Buttressed C19 north aisle with C19 three-light window at
the west end matching that at the west end of the south aisle;
five C19 three-light windows with segmental-pointed surrounds to
the north wall. C14 gabled porch with diagonal buttresses plank
door with fillets within an almost round-headed moulded surround at
the front of the porch. C14 image niche containing a C19 statuette
of St Peter above; stone flag floor and stone bench seats within;
plastered ceiling with moulded wallplates. C20 panelled door
within a C19 pointed arch with columns with foliate capitals either
side supporting an ovolo-moulded arch; moulded hood with carved
head stops one of which is reputed to represent John Middleton.
Interior: nave with late C19-early C20 facetted roof with three
C20 roof lights on each side. Five-bay C19 pointed-arched arcades
with circular piers. The respond at the east end of the south
aisle incorporates parts of a C12 respond with foliate decoration
of Transitional character. C14 pointed chancel and sanctuary
arches with double chamfers at the top. Large carved stone head,
probably C14 in date, over the chancel arch. Blocked window or
niche to the right of the chancel arch. Ribbed C14 vault with
angel corbels and hole at the centre to accommodate bell ropes,
similar but unaltered vault to the sanctuary with carved head and
angel corbels. Aumbry with a C20 wooden door at the east end of
the chancel. Blocked priest's.doorway in the north wall of the
sanctuary. Stone flagged floor. Furniture and fittings: C12
circular limestone font with simple cable mouldings at the top and
bottom of the bowl, C19 base. C19 pews. Mid C20 organ at the
east end of the north aisle. Octagonal wooden pulpit, dated 1913
with linenfold panelling, vinescroll frieze and angel statuettes.
C20 greystone altar in front of the chancel arch. C20 limestone
altar at the east end of the south aisle with C19 image corbels
either side. Early cross probably from an early grave above the
left-hand corbel. Trefoil-headed piscina in the south wall now
largely obscured by a brass. C20 limestone altar within the
sanctuary; early C20 communion rails. Monuments: recumbent late
C15-early C16 stone effigy of a priest in eucharistic vestments at
the west end of the north aisle. Recumbent stone effigies of Sir
John Giffard, died 1327 and his wife at the west end of the south
aisle; brass to Elizabeth Norwood, died 1598 set towards the east
end of the south wall with kneeling figures of herself, her
husband, sons and 2 daughters (q.v. Leckhampton Court). Numerous
C19 mostly white and black marble monuments on the north and south
walls of the aisles to various Cheltenham notables, several by
Lewis of Cheltenham. One C18 monument with twin inscription panel
with a broken segmental pediment with a pointing finger at the top;
foliate scrollwork and 4-winged angel at the bottom. Two C17 and
one C18 ledgers within the south aisle, two to members of the
Norwood family. Stained glass windows dated 1903 in the north
porch, by Lavers and Westlake; two others in the south aisle and
the east window of the north aisle. North sanctuary window by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne. All the west windows are by Wailes.
The westernmost window in the north aisle, the east window in the
south aisle and that in the crossing are by Hardman; Clayton and
Bell windows in both aisles.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of
[Dean, 1980.]

Listing NGR: SO9429619403

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.