Tudor House Museum, Southampton
Description: Tudor House Museum
Date Listed: 14 July 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 135744
OS Grid Reference: SU4186911290
OS Grid Coordinates: 441869, 111290
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8996, -1.4060
Location: Bugle Street, Southampton SO14 2AG
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, The Tudor House, St Michael's Square, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
1. BUGLE STREET
5239 (west side)
Tudor House Museum
SU 4111 3/52 14.7.53
C14 and C16, altered in C18 and restored circa 1911 and presented to the town
as a Museum. Late Mediaeval town house, built in its present form mainly
by Sir John Dawtrey lip at some time between 1491 and 1518, but incorporating
a banqueting hall a hundred years earlier. It was later the home of the Lord
Chief Justice of Henry VIII, Sir Richard Lyster, who is buried in the Church
of St Michael, St Michael's Square (q.v.). Corner building. Bugle Street
elevation is of 3 storeys timber-framed with brick nogging. Tiled roof.
Each upper floor oversails with plaster core carried up to wider side of window
cills. Four small gables separated by pendants. At the north end is a projecting
2 storey porch with upper storey oversailing. The porch has carved brackets,
outer and inner 4-centred doorways with carved spandrels and original door
with vertical ribs and studs. Restored wooden mullioned and transomed windows.
The rear elevation is of stone and has a 2-light arched Perpendicular window.
C18, 2 storeyed addition to west, partly tile-hung with canted bay windows.
The interior contains a mediaeval vault of flat-arched tunnel shape. Stone
fireplace with Tudor arch in the main front room. Mid C15 Banqueting Hall
rising 2 storeys high. Screens passage, originally of 2 short speres, with
galley above (not original). Two Tudor doors with 4 centred arches with carved
spandrels. Wooden square panelled ceiling. The east wall has a blocked doorway
with 4-centred arch and carved spandrels. The west wall has a renewed stone
fireplace C16 in origin with a blank shield and Tudor Rose in the spandrels.
One first floor room has panelling of circa 1700 and a C19 fireplace surround.
Late C16 barrel-vaulted ceiling and moulded wooden cornice to another first
floor room. The basement contains five C15 rubble undercrofts. The rear
wall has set into it a mural tablet erected by General Sir John Mordant moved
from the now demolished Bevois Mount House.
Scheduled as an ancient monument.
Listing NGR: SU4186211222
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.