The Wool House, Southampton
Description: The Wool House
Date Listed: 14 July 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 135747
OS Grid Reference: SU4186411064
OS Grid Coordinates: 441864, 111064
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8975, -1.4061
Location: Bugle Street, Southampton SO14 2AG
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1. BUGLE STREET
5239 (east side)
The Wool House
(also known as
The Maritime Museum)
(formerly listed as
Old Wool Store)
SU 4111 3/55 14.7.53
C14 with C18 alterations. This was built, after the French raid of 1338,
by Cistercian Monks as a storehouse for wool to be exported to Europe. It
is the only surviving freestanding mediaeval warehouse in Southampton. Two
storeys built of stone rubble with angle quoins. Old tiled roof. The west
side has 3 massive buttresses, semi-circular in plan, probably added in the
C16 and C17. In the C18 the building was used to house French prisoners of
war during the Seven Years War and Napolionic Wars. At this time the quay
front was rebuilt with segmental-headed windows and central door. The interior
contains a fine C14 arched collar braced roof of Spanish chestnut. Aumbry
set in the northern bay of the west wall at first floor level. Scheduled
as an ancient monument.
Listing NGR: SU4186211222
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.