Conduit House, Southampton
Description: Conduit House
Date Listed: 14 July 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 135795
OS Grid Reference: SU4158212338
OS Grid Coordinates: 441582, 112338
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9090, -1.4099
Location: Commercial Road, Southampton SO15 2GT
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1. COMMERCIAL ROAD
SU 4112 1/102 14.7.53
Early C14 conduit house which collected water from wells and springs for the
Southampton public water supply. This was originally collected by the Franciscan
Friars circa 1290 and the water system was transferred to the town council
in 1420. It is one of the earliest known examples of municipally controlled
water supply on this scale. One storey stone building with stone pitched
roof. One blocked slit window. Doorcase with shouldered lintel. Scheduled
as an ancient monument.
Listing NGR: SU4255313582
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.