Jesus Chapel - St Mary Extra, Southampton
Description: Jesus Chapel - St Mary Extra
Date Listed: 14 July 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 135880
OS Grid Reference: SU4409311799
OS Grid Coordinates: 444093, 111799
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9040, -1.3743
Location: Peartree Road, Southampton SO19 7GU
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1. PEARTREE ROAD
5239 Peartree Green
Jesus Chapel -
St Mary Extra
(formerly listed as
SU 41 SW 10/188 Church of St Mary Extra)
This was built as Jesus Chapel in 1620 to serve that part of the old Parish
of St Mary, Southampton ('St Mary Extra') which lay across the Itchen. It
was the first church to be consecrated in Southampton after the Reformation.
Built of rubble, the only part of the original building remaining is the centre
west gable having diagonal buttresses a dressed coping crowned by a small
gabled bell turret, rectangular opening and one bell. On the south return
wall of the gable is an early C17 stone mullioned window with a rectangular
head and pointed arched lights. In 1822 a west porch and south transept were
added in ashlar by E. Burrough and J. Ede. The windows are flat-headed Neo-Tudor.
In 1846 a north aisle was added, in 1866 an east aisle, and a new chancel
and south chapel in 1883. The church is plain inside and retains complete
its early C19 plain panelled oak pews. Early C19 wall monuments.
Listing NGR: SU4389011604
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.