If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of All Saints, Fleet

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 26 June 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 136599

OS Grid Reference: SU8080854507
OS Grid Coordinates: 480808, 154507
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2840, -0.8427

Location: 36 Church Road, Fleet, Hampshire GU51 4NB

Locality: Fleet
Local Authority: Hart District Council
County: Hampshire
Country: England
Postcode: GU51 4NB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Fleet, Hampshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

In the entry for

SU 85 SW FLEET CHURCH ROAD

10/1 Church of All Saints

- II

The grade shall be II* and the description amended to:-

1962. by William Burges. Nave and aisles of 6 bays the 2 western ones an
addition of 1934 chancel of one bay with apse, vestry to north east with
modern extensions (including a Lady Chapel of 1958). The interior has a
pointed barrel vault roof in timber with brick arches separating the bays,
continuing to the ground are pilasters attached to the square pillars which
separate the pointed arches of the arcade. There are half-arches in brickwork
in the aisles, resting on impost blocks. The red brick interior is marked by
single bands and plinth, and by the painting of yellow and black bands and
yellow mitifs: the polychromatic treatment has disappeared in the chancel, now
painted white. Externally, the lack of clerestorey emphasises the
steeply-pitched red tile roofing, and there is a tall 2 bell gabled turret at
the east end of the nave. Walling is in red brickwork, with a decorative
eaves band of diagonal bricks, above cusped arches resting on small brackets:
horizontal plain mouldings at impost level (carried over the openings), at
cill level, plinth. Buttresses of 2 steps divide the bays, which each contain
a pair of lancets. The west gable has a circular window with plate tracery,
this is re-set from the original west wall, the aisles terminating in coupled
lancets beneath a cusped roundel, the, the nave ending in a group of 3
lancets. North and south doors contain tympanum sculpture. Within is a
canopied tomb of medieval style, with the effigies of the founder (C H Lefroy)
and his wife. All the windows have heavy leaded lights, some with circular
and others with lozenge shaped glass.

------------------------------------

SU 85 SW FLEET CHURCH ROAD

10/1 Church of All Saints

-

- II

1862, by William Burges. Nave and aisles of 6 bays, chancel of one bay with
apse, vestry to north-east with modern extensions (including a Lady Chapel of
1958). The interior has a pointed barrel vault roof in timber with brick arches
separating the bays, continuing to the ground are pilasters attached to the
square pillars which separate the pointed arches of the arcade. There are half-
arches in brickwork in the aisles, resting on impost blocks. The red brick
interior is marked by single bands and plinth, and by the painting of yellow
and black bands and yellow motifs: this polychromatic treatment has disappeared
in the chancel, now painted white. Externally, the lack of clerestorey
emphasises the steeply-pitched red tile roofing, and there is a tall 2-bell
gabled turret at the east end of the nave. Walling is in red brickwork, with
a decorative eaves band of diagonal bricks, above cusped arches resting on small
brackets; horizontal plain mouldings at impost level (carried over the openings),
at cill level, plinth. Buttresses of 2 steps divide the bays, which each contain
a pair of lancets. The west gable has a circular window with plate tracery,
the aisles terminating in coupled lancets beneath a cusped roundel, the nave
ending in a group of 3 lancets. North and south doors contain tympanum sculpture.
Within is a canopied tomb of medieval style, with the effigies of the founder
(C H Lefroy) and his wife. All the windows have heavy leaded lights, some with
circular and others with lozenge shaped glass.


Listing NGR: SP7424762965

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |